Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printing FDNY Knob

Thanks

3D Printing FDNY Knob

I would assume that this is possible, but do not have the engineering/design background to make it happen. I have been seeing crazy things being printed using 3D printers, and was wondering today, if it would be possible to print a FDNY-like volume knob for the XTS series.
    Sadly the standard XTS volume knob is not easily accessible with gloves and in the public service industry, and not enough FDNY volume knobs were ever created. There may be a few floating around today, but those hoarding them are asking exorbitant cost to sell them.
    SO, if anyone has a understanding in the design of a new volume knob for the M XTS, lets share! I know that I locally have access to a 3D printer at my library, so could have it printed for near to nothing!
    Thanks everyone!

Thanks
    Just an FYI. We had nothing but problems with the knob and stopped using them. All the knobs were switched back to the normal style.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tbendick View Post
    Just an FYI. We had nothing but problems with the knob and stopped using them. All the knobs were switched back to the normal style.
    Can you elaborate on the problems you had?

Thanks
    They were getting caught and pulling off. I also believe we were actually breaking the posts inside as well. The knob was made for use with gloves but only lasted a short time in the field.

Thanks
    We replaced all of our factory knobs with these as radios were placed in service, well back into the XTS3000 days. Honestly we had more failures of the original low profile knob than these did. We had about 800 XTS3/5000s at that time.

Thanks
    If anyone has an extra FDNY laying around, I would love to get my fingers on a few, or at least something better than the stock knob.
    Like I stated in the initial post, in today's era of CAD designing and the ability to 3D print someone out there should design a new knob and prototype print it for testing. I am just tired of a smooth edged knob that requires precious time.

Thanks
    I'd be willing to test one/buy one if you get this off the ground

Thanks
    I have very little knowledge in replicating products using a 3D printer. Kind of why I was reaching out for help :-). I've created small objects, including downloading from the online ThinkIverse database of created objects, but don't see myself as an engineer to build from scratch.
    I too would be interested in testing out whatever anyone can create to be 3D printed, as well as take any FDNY knobs off anyone's hands who may no longer want them. I'll use it to measure for replication specs.
    Guess I could pull off my stock and start measuring the insert and diameter to begin with creating a cylinder.

Thanks
    I searched for fdny in google image search. Are you refering to the knob which has gear like teeth on top? I may can help with this.

Thanks
    Yes, it is XTS series volume knob, that is a bit taller than the stock knob, and has a textured top for easy access when in service and wearing gloves.

Here is an image, as well as a video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pr03bixap9...DNY%20Knob.jpg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T30g43AlHGg

Thanks
    Part # 3685829E01

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by that guy View Post
    Part # 3685829E01
    I'm not sure what your point is, but while that is the FDNY knob item number, that item has been cancelled (long, long ago).

Thanks
    My point is it's a lot easier to search for something when you know the part number, regardless of when it was cancelled it was the first time it was mentioned in this thread.

Thanks
    Turned out ok. I never claimed to be a master at 3D modeling either.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:405126

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to discombobulated For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (07-23-2014),Fatboy (10-09-2014),mpron (08-23-2014),Roo (07-23-2014)

Thanks
    Interesting. I might be interested in one.

Thanks
    You know, with all the things the chinese have made knockoffs of, im surprised that they havent imitated these yet. Its not like there wouldnt be a market for them because there definately is and people are willing to pay.

To any chinese counterfeit shops that may be reading this, you are missing a business opportunity. WE WANT YOU TO MAKE THESE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    You know, with all the things the chinese have made knockoffs of, im surprised that they havent imitated these yet. Its not like there wouldnt be a market for them because there definately is and people are willing to pay.

To any chinese counterfeit shops that may be reading this, you are missing a business opportunity. WE WANT YOU TO MAKE THESE!
    No we don't. That's absurd. For the avid radio enthusiast or mouth breather, that might be fine, but would you honestly trust a "Chinese knockoff" in the hands of a someone who works in public safety?

Thanks
    It's a knob, a volume knob at that. Sure, Chinese knockoff power amplifier, or controller board, or vocon, THAT would be a no no idiot dumb move, but a knob, who cares. If it fails, what, the radio will be too loud or too low?

Thanks
    Or they won't be able to turn the radio on when needed.

Thanks
    I know it's just a knob, but if they felt it was important enough to make Mother M come up with an SP version, they are probably pretty concerned with it's performance. Plus, they were lucky that they were enough of a heavyweight customer to actually make them do it, something they don't do casually.

Thanks
    Sure, but I still don't see that as a critical failure. And, with an XTS, if you pull the knob off, and the insert, you can still turn on the radio, it is just a little more difficult, and a multi tool that can easily be used to turn on the radio.

(edited to remove "any public servant worth his salt carries" since it apparently is only my assumption, and well, you know)
    Last edited by wiredwrx; 07-24-2014 at 09:34 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wiredwrx View Post
    Sure, but I still don't see that as a critical failure. And, with an XTS, if you pull the knob off, and the insert, you can still turn on the radio, it is just a little more difficult, and any public servant worth his salt carries a multi tool that can easily be used to turn on the radio.
    I've been a FF in the 3rd largest city in the US for 11 years and can honestly say I don't carry anything on duty that would turn that small post.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I know it's just a knob, but if they felt it was important enough to make Mother M come up with an SP version, they are probably pretty concerned with it's performance. Plus, they were lucky that they were enough of a heavyweight customer to actually make them do it, something they don't do casually.
    I am with you, and FDNY and all/every other public safety agency should NOT use Chinese knockoffs. But me, heck, listening to the local hammies, or scanning the local PD, who cares if the volume knob fails?

Thanks
    Maybe for a different discussion, but I never left home without a multitool, usually gerber. But, I was not a FF, well, not really. Heck, I am 13 years out of public service, and leave a multitool in the car, just in case.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wiredwrx For This Useful Post:

svfd17 (07-25-2014)

Thanks
    But wait. Arnt all of the OEM moto knobs from china anyways. So would it really matter if they produced the?