Thread: Monitoring Capacity Plus system passively?

dxon2m No Longer Registered

Default Monitoring Capacity Plus system passively?

While we were on topic with monitoring SZ/P25 trunked system without affiliating. I was wondering if anyone has played around with capacity plus systems to accomplish the same thing?

Thanks

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I didn't think you need to affiliate in order to monitor a Capacity Plus system.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Cyrus is correct, there is no affiliation going on in a Capacity Plus system. There's really very limited ID validation going on. The only limiting factors are the individual ID's must be 5 digits or less, and the talkgroup(s) must be enabled in the master repeater. No $40K controller (like in Connect Plus) means no subscriber access control.

Now, if you in fact mean Connect Plus, that's a whole different ball of wax, and there is indeed affiliation going on, amongst a whole lot of other stuff. I have no live experience with Connect Plus, just reading through the system planner, which helps immensely with proper configuration, but doesn't tell you how to get around things, obviously.

Thanks

The only way Ive been able to monitor Connect Plus is to basically scan it as a conventional system. Works ok but it's a bit of a pig to setup. Capacity Plus is no problem at all.

dxon2m No Longer Registered

Yep I was looking for info on capacity plus. Thank you all!

Thanks

Has anyone been able to monitor a Capacity Plus System, setting the Channels up as Conventional with the correct Color Code, Slot, and Group ID? I have been trying unsuccessfully for a while.

Is this even possible?

Thanks

Yes it does work, I have done it.

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 699 Posts

In Cap Plus not even the talkgroups need be in the Master repeater. If the customer is using RAS you won't be able to use a Trbo or any other DMR radio to monitor, but a computer will still work. If encryption is deployed, all bets are off, you will have to decrypt.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by trbo90 View Post
    Has anyone been able to monitor a Capacity Plus System, setting the Channels up as Conventional with the correct Color Code, Slot, and Group ID? I have been trying unsuccessfully for a while.

Is this even possible?
    Yes works fine with a non RAS system

Thanks

Thank you to everyone for your responses, was able to figure out how to do this.

Pretty basic, just find color code on channels being used and set up those channels with color codes and both slots. Then place them in a scan list.

Worked perfect.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I am assuming here you are using a non-Trbo radio, since if the system is not encrypted or RAS enabled, the simple method would be to simply program the system into your radio as if you were a valid user?

Thanks

That will cause the radio to affiliate, won't it?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

There is no affiliation in Capacity Plus. Only if YOU turn on ARS in your radio. Most systems don't use it unless they are using job ticketing or data services. Since there is no site controller, there isn't any real way for anyone to even discover you are there without something like SysWatch, and only then, only if you PTT. I run several tools on the systems I manage, and have actually worked this particular scenario just to see how hard it would be to detect bootleggers. Unless they TX , darn near impossible.

Hence the reason we added encryption and RAS.

Thanks

In the Capacity Plus systems I manage here, the radio does not "affiliate". However, the radio does send repeater wakeup messages when powering on or changing channels/talkgroups. If you change the input frequencies, the radio will bonk with an out of range indicator until it can fully track the system (usually 3-5 seconds). I guess technically I am transmitting and interacting with the system, but unless system owners DF every wakeup message or sit outside your facility, the probability of intercept seems quite low.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    In the Capacity Plus systems I manage here, the radio does not "affiliate". However, the radio does send repeater wakeup messages when powering on or changing channels/talkgroups. If you change the input frequencies, the radio will bonk with an out of range indicator until it can fully track the system (usually 3-5 seconds). I guess technically I am transmitting and interacting with the system, but unless system owners DF every wakeup message or sit outside your facility, the probability of intercept seems quite low.
    This should only happen with ARS enabled. If you program up a Capacity Plus system with everything set to RX only it will passively monitor just fine, the only problem potentially being your radio ID (if it's too high the Cap+ systems will not appear in your radio).

As the OP reported it's easy to do conventionally as well. Make 2 conventional channels for each repeater, one for each time slot. Set the proper values for the channels then put them all in a scan list, and set each channel to auto-scan. Assign each of the channels an RX Group list for the groups you want to hear and away you go. This works for Connect Plus as well.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

This is why encryption is a standard feature, and RAS should be also, IMHO, since Cap+ and Connect+ are primarily for revenue generation activities.