Thread: Converting XTL1500 to 5000

Thanks

Default Converting XTL1500 to 5000

I searched but was unable to find any info. I've had a XTL1500 for sale and have not had any interest at this point so it got me to thinking I could use it to monitor the TVRTS in TN which is one county over and possibly some other stuff. My question is, is it possible to convert the radio into a 2500 or 5000 to allow more channels and a different control head? I'm thinking I've heard of it being done but need to know what it would require. Thanks

Thanks

Its been done, the main radio is one and the same across those models. You would need the hardware and then a new codeplug jammed in with something other than cps. I probably have a used 05 head and possibly a flex. You would still need the plastic ring that connects the two and someone to do the software mod.

Thanks

So what exactly is involved with the hardware mod? How is the current head removed and could i make a remote mount head the same way? Im also thinking abut one of the remote control units that looks like a mic. Do these replace the entire front head or just plug in as an addition?

Thanks

The first thing you need to do is some reading:

See the XTL1500 Service Manual: https://www.p25.ca/threads/89-XTL150...Service-Manual

And the XTL5000 Service Manual: https://www.p25.ca/threads/149-XTL50...ervice-Manuals

As for hardware, I believe the "control unit" you're thinking of is the O3 hand held control head?

Either an O3 or O5 CH will set you back anywhere between $50 - $500 depending on new/used/condition etc.

If you're just dash-mounting an O5 you will also need a headbridge spacer (p/n 1585245E02) and a brick-to-CH flex (p/n HKN6192) and maybe a couple of screws (p/n 0364332H02) if your original ones are different?

If you're going to remote mount the CH it gets more complicated, you'll need a Transceiver Interface Box (TIB) & flex (different to the flex above) plus the cables to suit whichever CH you choose.

And if you want to remote mount an O5 CH you will also need a Control Head Interface Box (CHIB) and yet another (different) flex as well?

NOTE: Please don't take my word for the part numbers above, I *think* they're correct but you should definitely check them with your supplier before ordering.

Lastly, good luck getting the control head to sync with the radio, that's something I haven't had much luck with lately!
    Andrew