Thread: W7 Flash Zap ?

Thanks

Default W7 Flash Zap ?

Hi Gang,

Is it possible to get a XTL 5K Consolette with W7 head into Flash Zap mode, since it has no man down buttton?

I know how to do it with O5 head but have not figured this one out.

Thanks,
    apx-fail999

Thanks

Not as far as I know.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Not as far as I know.
    Thanks Magnus, too bad
    apx-fail999

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

The Astro Spectra Plus has the exact same issue, too...

twistedpos No Longer Registered

you can get it into flashzap mode... but it is dirty... just refresh the radio's software using cps, during this process the radio will reboot into flashzap. Simple unplug the programming cable during this reboot and your radio will be in flashzap mode. Close the CPS and plug the radio back in, the flashzap drivers should load and there you go... Like I said, it is dirty...
    Last edited by twistedpos; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: addendum to instructions

Thanks
    Thanked 4,931 Times in 1,469 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpos View Post
    you can get it into flashzap mode... but it is dirty... just refresh the radio's software using cps, during this process the radio will reboot into flashzap. Simple unplug the programming cable during this reboot and your radio will be in flashzap mode. Close the CPS and plug the radio back in, the flashzap drivers should load and there you go... Like I said, it is dirty...
    You're right, this will work. But be VERY careful as there's no way to put the AS+ into forced FZ (bootloader) mode. If the radio power-cycles before you get an operating system in there, it really will become a brick.

I've repaired AS+ vocons on two occasions which had their OSs nuked. The only way to recover from the disaster was to remove the flash ROM and burn a default image with BL + firmware + other partitions back in, then play with software to get it back the way it should be.

As much as I detest the XTL series due to the one-board design, at least they have a way of forcing bootloader mode. heh heh.

Thanks

Thanks guys,

I think I remember something about possible corruption. I'm just so spolied by the APX radios I thoiught I check and see if a new methode had creapt out of the Northern Wildes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    You're right, this will work. But be VERY careful as there's no way to put the AS+ into forced FZ (bootloader) mode. If the radio power-cycles before you get an operating system in there, it really will become a brick.

I've repaired AS+ vocons on two occasions which had their OSs nuked. The only way to recover from the disaster was to remove the flash ROM and burn a default image with BL + firmware + other partitions back in, then play with software to get it back the way it should be.

As much as I detest the XTL series due to the one-board design, at least they have a way of forcing bootloader mode. heh heh.
    apx-fail999

twistedpos No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    What is the procedure for forcing a XTL into bootloader mode?

Thanks

Orange button and right most soft key while powering up.
    Last edited by Magnus; Sep 06, 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: corrected wrong info I posted Thanks Andrew!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Orange button and left most soft key while powering up.
    No, the other left...

Orange + Left softkey brings up the unique CH ID number (for multi-CH config), Orange + Right softkey enters bootloader mode.
    Andrew

viper314 No Longer Registered

Default bootstrap mode

I see in the service manual that a certain TP would turn on bootstrap if more then 11 volts were applied
    would this be a way in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    No, the other left...

Orange + Left softkey brings up the unique CH ID number (for multi-CH config), Orange + Right softkey enters bootloader mode.

Thanks

I can't remember the command for sure, because it's been so long since I've done it... But, I remember forcing the XTL's with W series heads into Flashzap mode with a serial hyper-terminal command..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

Oh, that's a very good idea! I have documented all the "modem" type commands around here in another thread, but AT&FZAP probably would do it. The only problem is if you reboot the radio without a valid bootloader, PSDT and HOST image, the radio will brick so hard it won't even respond to the modem commands anymore. I, like Mars have hard-bricked AS+ because of a screw-up during reflashing, so it's easy to do even for us "experts"...

viper314 No Longer Registered

I have several a+'s to play with so I can afford to brick one if someone has some ideas what to do. I dont mind bricking a radio if I learn something through the proscess as long as its just not that I can brick a radio LOL feel free to PM me if there is something I should try that we should not discuss on here.

Thanks

I found that AT#FZAP=0 would put the AS+ into flash zap mode. I couldn't convince R18 CPS to do a dirty upgrade however. Will have to play when I have more time.

Cheers,
    SD.