Thread: XTL5000 high power 25 pin external mic wiring

throwed No Longer Registered

Default XTL5000 high power 25 pin external mic wiring

gday all, im trying to wire a gps/ffsk data speaker microphone i got up to the rear 25 pin acc connector on my xtl5000 high power model , the pins for the mic are 1 mic + , 2 Mic -/GND, 3 ptt, 4 GND, 5 SPK +, 6 SPK -/GND . pins 2 4 and 6 are all common as ground... i have the ptt working from the 25 pin connector but i cannot seem to get the tx audio working ? can anyone please tell me the correct way to wire this mic up it would be greatly appreciated and if their is any CPS settings i may have to alter in order to pass the tx audio. cheers all and thanks

Thanks

Very confused here... Since when do high power XTL5000's have rear accessory connectors?

And the J2 connector on the rear of the mid-power radios have 26 pins.

Are you sure you're not looking at the DB25 connector on the TIB?
    Andrew

sorry, that`s what i`m talking about the 25 pin connector on the front next to the programing port im trying to get this mic working and i cannot get the tx audio through.. they work like a dream on my xts models.. so one would think they would work fine on the acc port on the XTL's , do you have any ideas mate? cheers

Thanks

All the information you need is in the XTL Basic Service Manual which is freely available on this forum, however I've done the leg-work for you this time...

J5 - J6 Connectors.jpg

I assume you also have a control head connected and you are trying to bypass connecting the mic to that for some reason?

Not sure how you will go using the mic off an XTS portable on a mobile radio? I doubt the XTL would support the GPS function of that mic without customized firmware?
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

He might be talking about a generic GPS speaker mic, I have seen some Asian ones (HTC?) a while ago that produce generic AFSK-1200 data from the GPS stuff. They were kind of cool, you could shoot your location to another similarly-equipped radio with GPS speaker mic and their displays would show you where the other radio was, for hikers and such. They had a variety of interface cables for various portables, but XTL mobiles probably not one of them

If you bought these new, you might talk with the MFR and see if they are interested in making a cable for XTL's they might want to have one in their compatibility library. Just a thought, and they might even do the work designing the cable for you!

Thanks

I forgot to mention before, if you have one of the newer Odyssey TIBs then you will only have the J6 accessory connector as detailed above (but now called J600 for some reason) since the two CAN connectors replaced the J5 for connecting the newer control head/s.

CAN - GCAI - J6 Connectors.jpg
    Andrew

indeed its a newer odyssey 03 it looks exactly as the picture you posted . ive got the ptt working but no audio still , can i connect the digital and analog grounds together? or should i just use mic low as the ground for tx audio since mic high is tx audio in i think??... im also curious if i will damage the radio by connecting the speaker - and + to the speaker mics speaker input and the motorola external speaker at the same time.will it throw the radios audio output of balance at all?.. the spaker in the mic working im not so worried about as i have the main external one already, im just really wanting the tx audio to be passed any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

Oh - OK.

BTW I remembered the Mfr of those mics was Infinity Gear. They're expensive, but very cool. Carry on...
    Last edited by Alpha; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:02 PM.

Thanks

I guess the first thing you need to look at is the impedance of the mic you have versus what the radio requires, same goes for the speaker?

Then I would be tracing out the circuit for the standard mic from the service manuals and using that as a basis for what needs connecting to where?

I have zero experience with doing what you're attempting, if it don't have a big /\/\ printed on it somewhere then it don't get connected to my radios!
    Andrew

yep, these are the same as the infinity ones ive seen on youtube vids... except i paid around $65 each unit not the ridiculous 300+ like some are asking..

jim202 No Longer Registered

You might have to go into the radio software and make a minor change.

Go into the radio wide tab.
    Go to the ADVANCED tab.
    In the PTT AUDIO SOURCE you will probably find the source set to AUX_MIC. Change it to AUX_TX.

Save the codeplug back to the radio and see if you now have mic audio on the J600 connector (DB25) in the front of the radio.

There is also a gain setting you can mess with if the audio is low. Go into the TX AUDIO CONTROL PER MODE tab. About half way down the page you will see the external mic gain settings. The software will default to the AGC blocks being checked. If you un-check them, you can then go to the right and increase the gain. It will go up as high as a +12. Careful here as you do not want excessive gain that will bring up the background noise. Note: this setting will not change the normal control head mic gain settings.

My DB25 connector information shows pin 1 is PTT, pin 8 is TXAH, pin 10 is ground, pin 11 is TXAL, pin 24 is RXAL and pin 25 is RXAH. If you have an external audio amp for the RX audio, you can use pin 9. This is a filtered audio at a fixed level. Pin 9 does have a DC bias on it, so you might have to cap couple it. By the way, pin 8, TXAH also has a DC bias on it to make the Motorola mics work. If your using something else, you might have to cap couple this pin.

Jim
    Last edited by jim202; Sep 01, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

ok, i still only have the PTT working and no rx audio or tx audio regardless of what pins i use. can you please explain how to cap couple both the rx and tx audio pins? i look forward to hearing from you . i greatly appreciate it mate cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by throwed View Post
    ok, i still only have the PTT working and no rx audio or tx audio regardless of what pins i use. can you please explain how to cap couple both the rx and tx audio pins? i look forward to hearing from you . i greatly appreciate it mate cheers.

If your using a mic that was used on an XTS, don't forget that they are polarity sensitive as to which mic wire is hot and which wire is the low side or ground. You have already been provided with the pin connections early on in this thread to the DB25 connector on the front of the high powered radio. Maybe I have missed just which radio you have if there is no DB25 connector. If it is of the low or mid powered model, then yes, there is a 26 pin connector on the rear of the radio with the same kind of signal connections.

As for receive audio, if your looking to drive a speaker or speaker mic, then just use the + and - speaker connections. Do not ground either side of the speaker connections. You will do damage to the audio output stage of the radio. If your looking to drive the input of an external audio amp, then there is a fixed low level receive audio on the "filtered RX audio" pin. This RX audio is in the 100 milivolt range and is not enough to drive a speaker directly.

The only reason coupling caps were even mentioned, was if your not going to use a normal Motorola mic. Both the mic input and the fixed RX audio output both have a DC voltage on them and you don't want to short this out.

Jim

gday jim ,thanks for the reply! . its a high power radio with the DB25 on the front . i have identified all the pins i need to use on the db25 and the microphone which is also a aftermarket (see the link below).. but i cannot seem to get the rx audio from the speaker in the mic or tx audio from the mic to pass in to the xtl to be transmitted ? the ptt works but just drops dead silent carriers... the page of the exact mic is below so you can see what it is . im starting to think the rx and tx audio pins need to be coupled for this type of speaker microphone to work and if so would you be able to explain to me how to do this ?. cheers mate

http://www.wintec.com.tw/en/Products/talking/168.html

this is the pinouts for the speaker mic itself below

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...ps68530db3.jpg
    Last edited by throwed; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: added link

Thanks

Nice mic, I can see now why you want to get it working! Do all those features on the display work independently of the radio (GPS/temp etc.)?

I note that they say there is support for many radios (Motorola included) and cables available, I assume you've already traveled down that road?
    Andrew

the microphone has the temp sensor and all gps features built in, it injects the gps data thru the tx audio line as 1200 ffsk , ive emailed wintec and i get no reply unfortunately , but if it works with a xts it will work with a XTL providing its wired up correctly.the only drama is i can only use the model i have on analog . they are capable of working on digital but they have a different pinout on the radio end and different firmware.
    cheers

gday jim ,thanks for the reply! . its a high power radio with the DB25 on the front . i have identified all the pins i need to use on the db25 and the microphone which is also a aftermarket (see the link below).. but i cannot seem to get the rx audio from the speaker in the mic or tx audio from the mic to pass in to the xtl to be transmitted ? the ptt works but just drops dead silent carriers... the page of the exact mic is below so you can see what it is . im starting to think the rx and tx audio pins need to be coupled for this type of speaker microphone to work and if so would you be able to explain to me how to do this ?. cheers mate

One item problem at a time. There is a slight chance that you will have to go into the XTL software and make a change. I work with these radios all the time and Motorola has been playing roll the dice on just where to set the software settings to get the external mic connection to work. At one point they were flipping the selection with each software revision.

Start the software and read the radio. Then go to the RADIO WIDE selection.

In the ADVANCED tab, down near the bottom, you will see a selection called AUX PTT AUDIO SOURCE. It has only 2 selections. Click on the arrow and select the one that was not selected. Write the codeplug back to the radio. Now see if you have any TX audio.

There is another selection in that same area with a tab called TX AUDIO CONTROL PER MODE. This will allow you to change the gain of the incoming external mic audio. The default is to have the blocks on the left checked for AGC. If you have low TX audio from the external mic input, here is where you can increase it. Uncheck the AGC block. Then go to the right and start adding some gain where it will start with the setting at zero. Depending on your audio source, you can step the gain to where you need to set it. Do not go too high as you will bring up the background noise.

Jim

Major point to make here is that you can not ground either side of the speaker connections coming out of the XTL radio. I noticed that in the mic connection that you provided, it indicated that the low side of the speaker connection is grounded. This is a major no no for most of the Motorola radios. It will blow the audio output stage inside the radio. What you could possibly do is to find a transformer that will have a low impedance on the Motorola side and something to match the speaker mic you have on the other side. This way your not grounding either of the wires on the radio side of the connection.

Jim

Thanks

Hey throwed,

Did you ever get this Wintec mic to work with the XTL5000?
    Andrew