Thread: "Panter" XTS 2500 radios

Thanks

Default "Panter" XTS 2500 radios

A couple of questions about the "panter" radios on eBay...

* I've seen references to "panter88" as an eBay seller but now it looks to be "panter88888" - same guy or someone looking to cash in on name recognition? I do note these come from HK, where 8 is considered a good number...

* Are these radios OK? I've read a few different stories about how he (she?) comes to sell so many of these...

Lastly -

* It would seem that an XTS2500 is an upgrade as compared to an XTS3000 - right? I wouldn't mind getting multi system scan working, which doesn't seem to be available for the 3000...

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 420 Posts

Others may have had different experiences, but I purchased a Panter radio and it needed an alignment. A few months later, the radio took a trip to the depot for another $400. I will never buy another Panter radio, and sincerely recommend that you deal with someone on the board instead.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Why did it need a trip to the depot?

I just assume anything I buy on eBay requires an alignment.

Thanks

I’ve bought 2 (U&V) and both checked to spec. The only issue I had was the keypad backlight on one partially failed. NBD
    I would buy again if I couldn’t find model1s around and full keypad front covers.

Thanks

I bought an XTS5000 case from him a while back with a shorted PTT button. I tore the button assembly apart and the word "short" was clearly written on the button assembly. I know he didn't do it himself because the side buttons are ultrasonically welded together. It came from the factory that way.

I sent him an email with a picture of this and he called me a liar.

There is a reason he has such a large quantity of stuff, it is all garage Motorola won't sell.

Thanks

I've bought some XTS cases off Panter88 myself which were obviously ALT units (Accelerated Life Testing), they were all as new except for one switch or button which was completely screwed, but they were cheap and as the old saying goes... you get what you pay for!

Just swap out the individual switch and you've got a good case cheap?
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 420 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    Why did it need a trip to the depot?

I just assume anything I buy on eBay requires an alignment.
    The volume control went bad, and the receiver developed parasitic oscillation. This was corrected by the depot with a replacement board. On the positive side, the depot never questioned the radio when it was sent for repair. Yet, it did cost me another $400o and the repairs could not have been made without a trip to the depot.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

IMG_20120206_144709.jpg
    You can't replace this part without totally hacking up your radio.

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Why is the XTS2500 really the most bastardized radio on Ebay? Is it just due to popularity or what?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

My opinion of the 2500:

SHOULD NOT BE USED BY PUBLIC SAFETY BECAUSE:

- The flex connectors for controls, keypad and LCD are VERY unreliable and easily become unseated if radio is dropped;
    - The entire radio (except keypad) is ONE BOARD. So much for modularized replacement of parts;
    - Keypad has NO SHIELDING. This causes problematic operation (rebooting) with some RF and antenna configurations;
    - Limited battery selection (2700 mah lithium ion is largest battery option);
    - Side-buttons are easily damaged. They are part of the main-board, not the case/flex assembly like the 3K/5K;
    - Some 2500s are limited by 4MB memory size.

I'm sure the list goes on.

The 2500 makes a great NON-PS radio, or ham portable. I love my 900 MHz M3 with FPP. No complaints.

My opinions are only my personal feelings/experiences with this radio. I'm sure others have different views/opinions.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlamanske View Post
    Why is the XTS2500 really the most bastardized radio on Ebay? Is it just due to popularity or what?
    1 there are a **** ton sold as scrap because they are a 1 board radio
    2 pr1500's and mt1500's are really cheap used

BobHopi No Longer Registered

Most of the panter radios come from the "El Paso" depot's trash can with board-level repairs done on them. I've seen them come back to the states from Asia via eBay with the previous programming and serial numbers in tact.

Thanks

I've bought an XTS4000 from the chinese seller, but not Panther88 (or whatever his nickname is now). It works fine and seems to have the correct tuning config but it can never be recognized as an USB device when connected to the PC with the USB cable.
    A programming guy who helped me to upgrade the flashport on it says it is a common issue with chinese XTS4k-s. They are RS-232 programmable only, not even the update with genuine flash-key can fix it, it's just a hardware failure

Thanks

Probably the result of a bad run of boards, or early prototype models that didn't include USB functionality. Likely pulled out of the trash or scrap pile and then refurbished and resold. Only a guess, but it would make sense.