Thread: IMPRES: What's the point?

syntrx No Longer Registered

Default IMPRES: What's the point?

I have a HNN9033B ASTRO Saber battery that has been on charge in my IMPRES MUC with firmware 3.4.

Charger says fully charged, with 119% rated capacity. I take it out of the charger, transmit at 4W for about 3 seconds, and I get a low battery chirp. 119% rated capacity my ****.

Date code is 2007 so I don't care that it's dead, I've gotten my money's worth out of it... but if the charger is going to tell me lies, what's the point of paying top dollar for the smarts in the first place? Yeah, maybe that's the capacity the battery has with a 10mA load or something, but not when I want to pull 3A or so transmitting.

And don't get me started on the stupid full discharge/recharge "reconditioning" cycle for LiIon batteries...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,304 Times in 1,799 Posts

Premature low-battery alert on ASTRO Saber?

syntrx No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Premature low-battery alert on ASTRO Saber?
    I don't believe so. Works great with a Multiplier NiMH, and it spontaneously reboots if I try transmitting much past that point.

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Is it a lithium ion battery? I remember reading somewhere they have a problem with losing capacity as they age regardless of use. I also remember reading they are bad under heavy draw. I like them due to the weight but the older technologies just seem to last longer.

Thanks

Couple of things:

The HNN9033B was termed a "smart" battery by Motorola in it's description on MOL. The replacement HNN9033C was also termed "smart". The final part# HNN9033AR was termed "impres", and is no longer available. I only mention this as maybe the earlier revisions don't work quite as well as they should?

If you're drawing 3 amps with a portable, you are drawing about double the rated current for full power...perhaps that's part of the issue?

It would be nice if the Impres chargers had a 'high current' option to test a battery for 5 or 10 minutes to confirm capacity under load. I know some of the Cadex units had this.

gef No Longer Registered

The impress batteries have smarts in them .. if it is doing this the battery needs to be re-set.. with a motorola device ... forget the name at the moment.. but what causes the battery to get into this state is the seating of the battery into the charger where people push it in and out quickly..
    We have the reset device at our shop and I had to reset a sabre battery the other day .. after reseting the battery it was hunky doory ..

gef No Longer Registered

The device is the NNTN7392A..