Thread: APX vs XTS audio issues with accessory mics

TIGreen73 No Longer Registered

Default APX vs XTS audio issues with accessory mics

Many of my customers are complaining of low audio or audio distortion with APX radios when using lapel mics. According to dispatch and some officers it would appear to be an issue with which PTT button they press. This however didn't seem to be an issue on the XTS series. Is this a known issue with APX series?

Thanks

It is known but its not an issue, its a feature, look in the programming under "radio ergonomics wide" under "active mic for radio ptt"

Selects which microphone is active when the radio-user presses the PTT button. This feature applies on a radio-wide basis.

Radio Mic -- The radio's internal microphone will be active.

RSM MIC -- The RSM (Remote Speaker Microphone) will be active.

The radio's internal microphone provides contingency operation if an RSM is unavailable when the radio-user presses the PTT button.

My guess is they are pushing the radio ptt, the radio is programmed for radio mic (the default), and they are talking into the RSM. If so the radio should be reprogrammed for RSM Mic.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Also make sure you're running current firmware. Early firmware versions did have audio issues.

The audio profile settings also have a HUGE impact on the tone, amplitude and clarity of audio.

dxon2m No Longer Registered

I have a similar bit slightly different issue. My APX speaker mic audio goes out fine, but the speaker has no audio at all. when I plug the mic in the LCD lights up, after that nothing happens. Speaker mic PTT and emergency button works, just no audio.

My APX currently has the latest firmware and speaker mic is new from Motorola. The radio also has its expansion board replaced as other board member pointed out.

I suspect something is screwy in the one wire circuit on the radio. Any thoughts?

Thanks

If the radio programs correctly then one-wire should be fine, that's how the radio knows you've connected a usb cable.

I have also seen expansion boards not seated fully to the vocon.

Yes the radio programs just fine. I checked on the expansion board already and it looked tight.
    Is there any diagnostic tool I can use for the one wire interface?

Thanks

You could check the RSM with a bus pirate or a cobbed up ibutton reader and onewireviewer. As far as checking the radio, I don't know. It IS working to some extent if you can program it. That does not mean the CPLD between the side connector and the OMAP understands what the RSM is telling it.

Thanks

I know several people that have had this same problem with their APXs, they would transmit, but no audio thru the mic, and all of the problem APXs had 123ABC1234 serial numbers, one person changed out their expansion board and the speaker mic worked, the others just live with no speaker mic,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Another interesting ALT/DEV factoid to add to the list. Thanks for sharing, signalman51.

So far, the list includes:

- DEV MACE chips, which do not work with prod/rel firmware;
    - Different top channel knob;
    - Beat-to-crap boards that look like they've been in a rock-polishing machine;
    - Broken connector on vocon board, which would connect the "tweeter" speaker

Thanks

I have seen one that the CPLD was programmed differently and the one dot - two dot side buttons were swapped even in button test mode. There are resistors on the expansion board that can be moved that will affect the RSM audio but everyone I've seen has had them in the proper placing.

This is interesting, as I have two APX, one with 123ABC and one with legit serial. THe legit one had speaker mic working until one day I took the speaker mic off without power down. Since then the mic won't work anymore.

For my experience this doesn't seem to occur exclusively to 123ABC radios.