Thread: phase II on the amateur bands ?

Thanks

Default phase II on the amateur bands ?

Is it to soon?
    trbo is really taking off around here, P25 not so much unfortunately
    I think trbo popularity is due to the intergrated IP networking and low cost of equipment.
    P25 not low cost, but will it be able to link in a similar fashon?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

I've been struggling with abandoning P25 too. Reason being, the sites are almost impossible to link. How do you EASILY link two Quantars?

If they're co-located, you can go V.24 (locally) between two boxes. But not three.

TRBO makes things way easier. Unfortunately, TRBO doesn't offer secure voice. (No REAL algorithms) P25 has TRBO beat in that area.

Wish Moto would stop being pricks and offer TRBO as a flash option in the APX line. Then everyone would be happy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

I'm not sure if the hardware modulator in the APX could encode/decode TRBO, it's TDMA not FDMA. It's really timing dependent and requires a TX that can INSTANTLY gate on and off during specific time-slots. That's fundamentally different than a "conventional" FDMA type system like P25 or normal analog, where a TX has plenty of time to ramp up and the modulator waits until it settles to turn on the audio or digital modulation stream.

The DV-PTR board looks like it may be a good solution, if we can get a direct modulator tap to a Quantar's TX and RX that unit would be able to do P25, D-STAR, NXDN or any other FDMA based digital system. It probably still won't do TRBO but hey you can't have everything! Right now P25 and TRBO (with the appropriate hardware) are still in development, but I believe it has D-STAR already working. Anyway check this thing out, it seems like it has great potential, if nothing else you can hook a couple of MaxTracs back-to-back and make a poor man's Quantar equivalent.

Here's the link: http://www.dvrptr.de/index.html

Unfortunately it still doesn't address the internet IP back-end to any such a system. Maybe ASTERIX might provide some kind of solution for streaming the audio over TCP/IP, I know that has some facilities for that. The problem is we would need some kind of "DNS" or directory of addresses, some kind of system would need to be developed for interfacing protocol that would facilitate connecting one station to another by something, IP address or node numbers like IRLP or something like that.

Thanks

APX does phase 2 p25, which is c4fm over 2 channel TDMA . It also uses the same voice enocder also as trbo. The only thing different is the air interface

I dobt think the quantar does phase 2, thats why everyone has to buy GTR's right?

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
    specializing in AES1056 encryption

Thanks

You would be correct. In our trunking system we have 2 or 3 sites that were old 4.1 Smartzone Quantars. Once the Station Control Cards were replaced we put in a PSC9600 Quantar Site controller and tied it in to our new P25 TRS. Works great, but those sites that have Quantars and PSC9600's will not support Phase II. One of those sites is getting upgraded to an ESS GTR8000 6 pack for the purpose of running Phase II within sometime this year.

Saint No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I've been struggling with abandoning P25 too. Reason being, the sites are almost impossible to link. How do you EASILY link two Quantars?

If they're co-located, you can go V.24 (locally) between two boxes. But not three.

TRBO makes things way easier. Unfortunately, TRBO doesn't offer secure voice. (No REAL algorithms) P25 has TRBO beat in that area.

Wish Moto would stop being pricks and offer TRBO as a flash option in the APX line. Then everyone would be happy
    Mars, Interesting that you say that about a TRBO flash option on the APX line. Do you see TRBO taking over the proprietary spot of smartzone?

Thanks

Wirelessly posted

I've yet to join the APX club. If TRBO does find its way into that product line, I'll definitely pick one up.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saint View Post
    Mars, Interesting that you say that about a TRBO flash option on the APX line. Do you see TRBO taking over the proprietary spot of smartzone?
    Not sure. TRBO radios can already be flashed for analog SmartZone trunking. I've seen the downloads and references to this on MOL. Maybe someone who actual knows what they're talking about, can elaborate on this.

Thanks

I would believe that the radios coould be easilly flashed for analog. The protocal isnt all that complex and the firmware from a MTSX series radio should cross over to the TRBO radio easilly ( I believe the processors are the same family). My only headache is that I find the audio on TRBO not quite as clear as it is on P25.

Hytera makes TRBO equipment and Yeasu is launching a TRBO line of ameteur radios.

SJS44 is offline Cowthief's Mini-me
    BANNED FOR POSTING BS
    Thanks

Yaseu is coming out with a TDMA P25 Radio for ameteur radio . Here in pa there is a group that is building a statewide p25 vhf/uhf digital inputs .

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SJS44
    Yaseu is coming out with a TDMA P25 Radio for ameteur radio . Here in pa there is a group that is building a statewide p25 vhf/uhf digital inputs .
    I'm not sure why you think that?

So far all they've said is they will be releasing a C4FM based product at Dayton to be followed by a DMR based product later in the year.

Nowhere have they ever said that they will be releasing a P25 product.

It's more likely that we will see something based on DMR which will be compatible with the Motorola TRBO units and Hytera's radios.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

And as we all predicted, Yaesu's C4FM product wasn't P25 at all. My guess was correct - Yaesu would release yet another digital voice protocol