Thread: Quantar As Mixded mode (p25/Analog) RPTR

ronen No Longer Registered

Default Quantar As Mixded mode (p25/Analog) RPTR

Hi there
    What exectly needed to make quantar operate Both P25 and Analog RPTR ?
    I have in the menu Analog/ASTRO CAI
    I have in Access table ASTRO NAC but the rptr not key up in ASTRO
    In the help i see there is a community rptr and i dont have it in my menu
    What is needed to do ?
    Please help
    Thanks Forward
    R

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Please post your firmware versions. No one can help you if you don't post the obvious MANDATORY details. A Quantar is a software-defined radio. Without knowledge of what software you're running, it's like posting a message saying "My computer doesn't boot".

Thank you.

SCM R016.08.004
    Wireline B015.06.004
    Exciter R020.09.005
    But if in the software i get a P25menu doesnt it say it can do P25 ?
    I know that other radios if an option iis not supported the software say this optuion is not supported in this radio

Thanks

You're running system release version 08.004. This is quite old. It could be VSELP. Hopefully d119 sees this thread; he will likely have the right answer.

Thanks

Hi All,

His Station Control Module (SCM) is too old to support P25 IMBE operation. He needs to have an R20.xx.xxx SCM in order to start thinking about IMBE.

Release 20.09.017 (System 9) was the first version to support P25, so you can somewhat gauge the age of the firmware on that.
    Release 13.02.015 (System 2) was the first to support VSELP.
    Release 20.12.024 (System 12.03) offered improved performance in P25 operation.

If he can currently select ASTRO, it's unquestionably VSELP, if it's anything at all. With that old of a SCM in the station, it's not going to be a FLASHport based board, it'll be OTP EPROM based.

To the OP, I'd recommend you upgrade the SCM to something with at least R20.12.024 in it. You shouldn't have any problems finding the proper SCM on eBay. I'd be hesitant to upgrade the firmware on the one you have, as there have been many changes to the boards over the years. You want to ideally find an EPIC-series board for the station. They were a bit of a universal item, used between Quantar, Quantar DBS, Quantar Receiver and ASTROTAC Receiver.

You DO NOT want a version with anything "IR" on it. That's for trunked intellirepeater sites, and won't function as you want it to for your purposes. "NIR" means Non-IntelliRepeater. This is usually located on the SIMM's that hold the firmware.

Hope this helps.

Thak U for the brief answer now things start to be more clear in the puzzle
    as for ver 20 someone here said he have working p25 with ver 16 see quite
    "My conv. box has a TTN4094C20 w/ firmware 16.-something. Does P25 fine, but everything I've heard is that
    v20 is better audio/more stable/whatever."
    so im confused someone say he have working p25 with ver16 how can it be ? i tried to PM him but got no reply ...
    in any case what is the cat no of a SCM that will have ability to work P25 or that i will be able to flash ? do you know a Model number ?
    Thanks Forward
    R

Hi all
    Im happy to say that firmware 16 is able to pass P25
    I have now finished to test and the station Pass very well P25 Transmissions
    Thank for one of the guys here that helped me to make things working ..
    And thank you all ...
    Just keep in mind that no need to have Firmware 20
    Best Regards
    R

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ronen View Post
    Just keep in mind that no need to have Firmware 20
    Best Regards
    R
    Really? Try sending a PAGE packet through the repeater and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Really? Try sending a PAGE packet through the repeater and see what happens.
    lets go back to my original question
    "Hi there
    What exectly needed to make quantar operate Both P25 and Analog RPTR ?"
    this is working well with firmware 16
    just for curiosity ill check the page ... but the intention was to have RPTR that can pass analog calls and digital calls and this works fine
    R

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

So are you going to bother letting us know how you got it to pass P25?

There might not be a need for newer firmware if you're happy with substandard audio.
    Last edited by cyrus; Sep 18, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

ronen: No doubt B16.xx.xxx will work with CAI/IMBE transmissions. But there are issues of which you will soon discover, once you compare Quantar performance with this release to a R20.xx.xxx station.

- 16 handles packet loss much differently. Really loud, shrill, robotic artifacts. Likely decreased range (due to reclocking and other factors) too.
    - Doesn't support passing of PAGE (and possibly selective calling) packets. It causes the repeater to reboot.
    - Hardware support with other Quantar cards/boards/features

It's like the first release of IMBE/CAI for the ASTRO series radios: DSP 6.xx.xx. It works, but it is terrible. But if you're happy with it, I guess that's all that's important.

Mars
    Thank you for the brief explain as i wrote im quiet new in this project (although im in the RPTR business long time but new to quantar as RPTR) and the puzzle start to clear as time pass and experiments i do
    Is there any where that i can see release notes from ver16 to ver 20 ?

As for my case
    As a start i wanted RPTR that have a Capability of passing P25 voice fast and that was the quickest way because someone wrote that i could not be able to flash my card (he wrote it is too old (how such a thing can be known i even dont know what SCM is there only its firmware version ) (also how can i know what SCM can be flashed and what cant ? (in case i want to buy a sutible SCM )
    now as things running i have time for research of getting new SCM that can be flashed and flashing it (if it will not be with the ver 20 firmware)
    Is there a list of cards that can be flashed to ver 20 and suitible for RPTR ?

After all it is a hobby and not any mission critical system so i dont care (for the moment) that it will not have Page.
    At final stage I will sure have a working system that is compatible with what that needed but that may take time (in understanding what exectly hardware and software i need) and money (in buying the right thing needed)...
    so for the moment there is a quick (not optimal) solution ...
    I already see that now with mixed mode i miss the option of muti PL/DPL operation as was with analog only (wonder if there is any solution for that too) ?
    but thats a start ....
    Best Regards
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    ronen: No doubt B16.xx.xxx will work with CAI/IMBE transmissions. But there are issues of which you will soon discover, once you compare Quantar performance with this release to a R20.xx.xxx station.

- 16 handles packet loss much differently. Really loud, shrill, robotic artifacts. Likely decreased range (due to reclocking and other factors) too.
    - Doesn't support passing of PAGE (and possibly selective calling) packets. It causes the repeater to reboot.
    - Hardware support with other Quantar cards/boards/features

It's like the first release of IMBE/CAI for the ASTRO series radios: DSP 6.xx.xx. It works, but it is terrible. But if you're happy with it, I guess that's all that's important.

Thanks

Ronen - the point is this - your SCM is old because back then (when your firmware was released), the firmware came on OTP EPROMS, not in flash format. MAYBE RPTR has DIMM EEPROMS. Whatever it is, I think it's unlikely that RPTR has flash memory on RPTR based on the version of firmware RPTR's running. Have some faith - I've been working with RPTR for a while.

The other point is that while RPTR may pass P25, RPTR does so POORLY compared to more recent firmware that has SIGNIFICANT improvements in error correction (read: COVERAGE) as well as other feature enhancements (passing CALL/PAGE packets, Data 12, etc.).

If RPTR works for you, go with RPTR. No need to explain yourself here. Say hello to RPTR for me.

MODAT No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    So are you going to bother letting us know how you got it to pass P25?
    I second this.