Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NX-5300 Software in Canada?

Thanks

Another big issue or consideration my agency would have with Kenwood's new software model of "everything needs online activation"
    is that sometimes our folks are deployed to incidents in locations that just don't have internet access, which would limit the radio configuration in the field at the incident. I agree, seems a little overprotected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gmt0000 For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Mar 18, 2016)

Thanks

Harris RPM and Programmer have been online activation-required for years. With them at least it's not that big of a deal, you only need web access during the initial installation.

FYI I followed up with the dealer and was informed that TK-series P25-only radios will be migrated to EFJ Armada while NX-series dual-protocol radios will remain with KPG.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

gmt0000 (Mar 18, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Harris RPM and Programmer have been online activation-required for years. With them at least it's not that big of a deal, you only need web access during the initial installation.

FYI I followed up with the dealer and was informed that TK-series P25-only radios will be migrated to EFJ Armada while NX-series dual-protocol radios will remain with KPG.
    I know it, because I've used it for a few years when it was VER2/3. But RPM requires only one activation at installation stage and nothing after that.

Just compare: to work with Kenwood 5K you need to install KPT-300 License Manager and activate it by using license file or string (free, but anyway license). After that you have to buy and activate KPG (you can install it, but can't run before activation). After that you have to buy feature licenses for radios and install them into License Manager. After that you have assign purchased and installed feature licenses with particular radio(s). After that you have to send this info to Kenwood servers by pressing corresponded button. Info about everything you have kept on Kenwood severs. Now you can read your radio, and enable for example P25 or Bluetooth. Radios features assigned with particular radios can be deactivated due to 24 hours after activation only. No future transfers possible.

To you have another PC you have buy another copy of KPG (another license for the same cost as first one; from $100 to $155 depending on your dealer). If you want wideband, you have to pay $100 or something.

Welcome to the new era where is Motorola didn't ever mind!
    Last edited by MotFAN; Mar 18, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. Especially whose who also love PL-259 connectors.

Thanks

This.

Kenwood right now is a total CF. We had a client agency buy some dual-brick mobiles... to get them programmed, we had to do all of this...

* Get an Account Registration Key - this is basically just identifying the specific PC and end user.
    * Get a Software License Key - this is a per-software-package key to let the software run on a PC.
    * Get a pair of Radio Feature License Keys per radio... these radios were ordered with P25 Phase I and P25 Phase II support. Kenwood just ships the radios, then you have to separately contact EFJohnson to get the license keys for features that aren't standard. They have to be installed separately by you, the customer.

OMG what a pain. If you want to take market share from Motorola you should probably be easier to deal with than them.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kf4lhp For This Useful Post:

MotFAN (Mar 19, 2016),motorola_otaku (Mar 21, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kf4lhp View Post
    This.
    * Get a pair of Radio Feature License Keys per radio... these radios were ordered with P25 Phase I and P25 Phase II support. Kenwood just ships the radios, then you have to separately contact EFJohnson to get the license keys for features that aren't standard. They have to be installed separately by you, the customer.
    Ah, I ran into this as well, although at the time I dealt with Kenwood to get the license keys. I thought they had just fvcked up & didn't put the features into the radio at time of order, but I guess this is the normal way of doing it...keeps everything requiring their authorization process. I get why they went this direction, but it seems like a bit of overkill. An ASK based protection would have been much more flexible.

Thanks

I'm just curious if anyone knows of any dealers in Australia that sells the software for the nx5300. Just bought one and am having same issues locating a dealer who sells it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated