Thread: HOWTO: 100W Nucleus & Quantar Power Supplies - Yes they are interchangeable.

Thanks

Default HOWTO: 100W Nucleus & Quantar Power Supplies - Yes they are interchangeable.

This has come up a couple of times in the past. The title says it all. I'm just posting this here for anyone who happens to search for this topic in the future.

The Nucleus paging station and the Quantar station power supplies are in fact interchangeable. I had an emergency situation at a customer's location a year or so ago where the Quantar voice repeater lost it's power supply, and the customer didn't have a spare. The customer also owns a Nucleus paging transmitter, and decided that the voice repeater was more critical than the paging system.

Cautioning the customer that I'd never attempted this before, but that theoretically it should work but may in fact result in an explosion, I inserted the Nucleus power supply into the Quantar, and it powered up without issue. The station ran fine until it's power supply returned from repair, and the systems were returned to their original configuration.

We all know about the crappy Onan exploding power supplies. The one out of the Nucleus was in fact an Onan, but luckily it didn't explode. I was more concerned about an incompatibility, but like so many other things, these two parts are common between the Nucleus paging transmitter and the Quantar station.

Both stations in question were 100W UHF units. High power Nucleus station power supplies (150W+) may not be cross compatible to Quantar, so watch what you're doing.

Thanks

Cool stuff, good to know. How far away did you stand when first powering it up? Lol. I'd have laid money on an explosion.

Thanks

I was 50% sure I was going to make a bad situation worse, but the customer said to try it as they needed the voice repeater back online.

I think what I ended up doing was unplugging the thing from the wall, turning it on, and then plugging it in so I wasn't too close to it if it cut loose.

Luckily, the only thing that happened was the thing clicked, the fans came on, and it woke up. Exactly what I'd hoped for.

I wouldn't have tried it if I didn't have some degree of faith that it would actually work. Now, if the Nucleus power supply goes bad, I can bring a spare from the shop for it.