Thread: Quantar UHF with a VHF second receiver???

Thanks

Default Quantar UHF with a VHF second receiver???

I have a UHF Quantar and would like to add a VHF receiver as a second receiver. What I would like is the repeater to repeat P25 coming from either the primary UHF receiver or a VHF signal from the secondary VHF receiver. Can it be done??? Do I set up the receivers as scanning both bands???

Any help would be great....

Thanks,

Billl

Thanks

There is some doubt as to what the second receiver is capable of. I've not played with it personally, but I do have the capability to create such a configuration for experimentation. I can do that if you wish.

As I understand it, the second receiver doesn't quite function as one would want it to. The little I've heard refers to scanning receivers, so you might be on to something there.

Thanks

Thanks d119...I should have a VHF receiver this week and I will try it out to see if it works. I was hoping someone had experience with a dual receiver setup.

Bill

Thanks

Please post your findings in this thread, if you would, so everyone (including myself) will have future reference on the subject!

ronen No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by d119 View Post
    Please post your findings in this thread, if you would, so everyone (including myself) will have future reference on the subject!
    I have tried to play with two receivers and it didnt gave me the ability
    according to the help it say that only one receiver can be active at a certian time
    as for scanning receiver it is a function that allow you to add up to 16 frequency to a receiver and he is scanning among them that works ok ... of course within the receiver tunning passband (4MHz)
    R

Thanks

I received my VHF R1 receiver yesterday and played around with it last night. I setup a second channel with the VHF receiver activated and the primary receiver set for 0.000000Mhz which is how to select a receiver in the two receiver configuration. Next I setup the scan list with both channels enabled and scan enabled on reset which basically begins scanning as soon as the station starts up. This setup works fine in analog however in digital I get no decoded audio from either receiver. Both channels are setup for mixed mode and the primary receiver works fine if not in scan. The station keys up I receive a unit ID on the radio receiving the output and only receive burst of audio similar to when you have a very weak signal. I will play around with the scanning parameters next and see if I can recover digital audio.

Bill

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

Sounds like it might be a tuning related problem, possibly? Improper deviation, or off frequency perhaps? We have a large ham system in Chicago that uses Quantars scanning VHF and UHF R2 then transmitting on a link with an R1 TX exciter. Talk about a frankenrepeater! But it works fine, with 1 UHF RX channel and 1 VHF RX channel, set up to scan both and TX on the 430 link freqeuency in both modes. Works great in analog, digital should work but the system doesn't use mixed mode, it's analog only.

Thanks

Alpha, you may be correct and I will look at in on a service monitor and do a full tuneup when I can. Whats interesting is that if I am not scanning and have only the UHF R2 or the VHF R1 receiver the system works fine in mixed mode in analog or digital mode. That's why I was looking at the scanning parameters thinking its a timing issue with the digital data. In analog mode it works great.....

Bill

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

It does sound more like the scan is causing it to miss the beginning of the digital header or something, does it eventually lock in and work? Still it could be related to tuning, if it too far off frequency it might take too long to slew to the right frequency before the scan gives up, maybe? Also are you testing with narrow band or 5 kHz wide-band, in analog or digital, either or both? Just trying to think of possible things that might affect the symptom...

Thanks

I am thinking the same thing when scanning, however it never recovers audio. A radio on the system decodes unit id but the audio sounds like a very weak signal into the system. Basically digital robot pops every once in a while. The analog is set up wideband and works as expected. The othe configuration I want to try is digital only and see if it works with scanning.

rfimage No Longer Registered

Hello to you
    have been trying for weeks to get a VHF and a UHF in a quantar to work??
    you seem to have found a way to get it to work?
    Please can you tell me how it works?
    I have a VHF R1 in slot 1
    and a UHF R2 in Slot 2
    Need both to work in scan??
    Wow confused?
    Paul 1-702-285-3432

Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 864 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rfimage View Post
    Hello to you
    have been trying for weeks to get a VHF and a UHF in a quantar to work??
    you seem to have found a way to get it to work?
    Please can you tell me how it works?
    I have a VHF R1 in slot 1
    and a UHF R2 in Slot 2
    Need both to work in scan??
    Wow confused?
    Paul 1-702-285-3432

Welcome to the forum, Paul. 'Bout time we got another big dog in the radio world on here! Greetings from Reno.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Bill, Paul, what is the firmware version of your SCM?

+1 on Alpha's point, you must align a Quantar if you want P25 to perform.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right