Thread: xts3000 issues

Thanks

Default xts3000 issues

im trying the hidden talkgroup scan trick on a xts3000. the system is a 9600 smartzone. i coped ever single config option from my working 2500 to the 3000 but it wont unmute at all. any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,774 Times in 1,707 Posts

Are you able to email me your codeplug? I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks

Also make sure you are running the proper Host firmware, you said its a 3000 and 9600 baud system so your host firmware should be 6.x not 7.x

Thanks

OP's radio is R06.72.00/N08.03.05; ASTRO25 is in his flashcode. It's a good radio for his application.

There are/were some config errors; not sure if he's tried reprogramming yet.

There needs to be a thread/tutorial with pics, showing people how to program (supported) trunking radios for RX-only. I know for certain the 3000 and ASTRO Saber will do RX-only 9600, as I monitored an ASTRO25 system with both, last summer. 100% safe and no affiliation.

I also currently use an MTS2000 with SmartZone/Omnilink enabled, to RX-only _and_ ROAM, on a local TRS. I scan from conventional and there's no physical way to access the trunking modes. 100% successful. I have tweaked the settings to work fantastic.

When I have some time in the coming days, I'll post screen shots, etc. to a new thread.

Thanks

I have posted the steps for a 3600 baud system here

http://www.p25.ca/threads/118-No-aff...?p=493#post493

Thanks

thanks to all for the help so far.. - will report back when its figured out...

Thanks

Finally got it working - not sure what happened. I reset the tuning values to the settings previous to the firmware upgrade - still nada. Then stuck the radio on a USRP and tuned it back to where it previously was. Started a fresh config now it seems to be working.
    To save channels i put the first channel of every zone to the corrospending convetional channel, then the rest of the channels in that zone are trunking talkgroups. The rotary switch is then set to select zones not channels. To the user it still seems like they are selecing channels. This worked in the xts2500 and seems to work fine in the 3000. I have the 2 position concentric switch set to inhibit inhibit. Also removed CHAN option from menu. Another thing i noticed that sucks is the talkgroup limit per trunking personality. ACtually makes everything less confusing.. w00t! thanks to this site and its helpful members

Thanks

Two things:

- If you ever feel you're missing transmissions, reprogram and get rid of the TX inhibit switch. The firmware does not like TX inhibit on SmartZone and ASTRO25 systems. So long as you're not parked on a talkgroup, and your scan talkback is set for "selected channel", it will never TX or affiliate on the trunking system.

- If you haven't done the 15-member scanlist mod, I would do that. You'll gain 5 extra talkgroups. See the thread in the CPS Mods forum.

Glad to hear it's working!

Thanks

I did reprogram the toggle switch and make a few tweaks to scan list timings - seems to pickup everything my 2500 does. I am surprised how quick and clear the audio is, given its such a dated platform. Thanks to everyone that got me going. What was wrong? Ha its one of those things. you gotta just walk away for a while and do something else.

Quick Q
    I can program multiple sites into the same trunking system by entering the respectives sites control channels into the 700800 astro tab. Am i limited to sites within the same RFSS? Additional RFSS require separate trunking systems entries?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kd8eyf View Post
    I am surprised how quick and clear the audio is, given its such a dated platform.
    Yup! DSP 8.xx.xx is fantastic. I still use my XTS3000 as a scanner and it sounds wonderful. Just as nice as my 5000.

Quote Originally Posted by kd8efy
    Quick Q
    I can program multiple sites into the same trunking system by entering the respectives sites control channels into the 700800 astro tab. Am i limited to sites within the same RFSS? Additional RFSS require separate trunking systems entries?
    So long as they're part of the same system ID, then yes. You should probably enable the Omnilink feature in your Trunking System configuration as well. Even if your system isn't Omnilink, enabling it won't harm anything. With Omnilink you gain inter-zone roaming, and alphanumeric site aliasing (6-character aliases are sent via OSW from the control channel). However, I believe in the older ASTRO platform, the radio will not decode the site aliasing when using ASTRO25 (R06.xx.xx) host firmware. Just a limitation. Works fine in APCO-16 SZOL systems with R07.xx.xx host firmware.

A few things you may wish to do:

- Set up your preferred sites under the Trunking Personality/Preferred Sites tab. This will instruct the radio to give preference to a specific tower, if you're within range of several towers that have close relative signal strengths. If one tower is busier than the other (with voice traffic) you may wish to give it preference. You'll need to know the site number and system ID.

- Set up your RSSI roaming values properly. I recommend the following: 4A, 50, 53, 57. This is under the "Trunking Configuration" tab. Moto's default RSSI roaming values are too forgiving/non-aggressive. (In a radio that's actually affiliating to the system, battery life is SLIGHTLY affected, due to more roaming/affiliation packets. Since you're RX-only, it won't affect your battery life.)

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT RSSI ROAMING VALUES:

For anyone else reading and considering using these settings, please be aware they're for XTS3000, ASTRO Saber and ASTRO Spectras ONLY!! This is due to the RSSI scale on that platform maxing out at 87 (57 hex).

For ASTRO25 platform radios such as the XTS/XTL2500/5000 and even the APX, use these settings: 5A, 65, 73 and 78.

- Make sure you have all the control channels for your system plugged into the Trunking System ASTRO25 control channel list. This ensures faster "start up". The codeplug you sent me only had one control channel. This is not a good idea. If you're out-of-range, and have "full spectrum control channel scan" disabled, the radio will never find a tower. If you specify the control channels, the radio will lock onto whichever one it receives first, then start building a "neighboring site list" in RAM. It'll sample the other sites, and eventually find the strongest tower based on your RSSI settings.

Older MS-DOS and earlier versions of ASTRO CPS only allowed for 32 control channels to be entered into the list. Newer CPS/firmware allow for (I think) 64 control channels. Don't quote me on that number, but it's definitely greater than 32. I'm personally using 40 for my own system.

Feel free to post any further questions you may have. Glad to help a brother out!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Scratchy (Apr 21, 2016)

Thanks

yeah i was trying to keep it simple for troubleshooting.
    since im stuck on a convetional channel theres no way to know what site the radio is on is there?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kd8eyf View Post
    yeah i was trying to keep it simple for troubleshooting.
    since im stuck on a convetional channel theres no way to know what site the radio is on is there?
    Unfortunately, no. I really wish that was different!

Hey, does Digital ID Display work for you? Analog Radio ID Display doesn't work for me on the MTS2000, when doing the conventional scan hack. Works fine if I'm on an actual trunking mode.

Thanks

yeah it working good - calling radio ID pops right up - EDIT pops in a second

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Hey, does Digital ID Display work for you? Analog Radio ID Display doesn't work for me on the MTS2000, when doing the conventional scan hack. Works fine if I'm on an actual trunking mode.
    I seem to remember there is a setting to turn on "caller ID" and "scan caller ID" separately, try checking to make sure the scan ID is turned on, prehaps?

And, no, without monitoring in normal trunking mode, there is no way to display site ID or RSSI. You don't have to successfully affiliate to read out that data, but you have to be in non-scanning normal trunking mode, AFAIK.

Oh, yeah - one other thing - the # of control channels I think is around 100 or more. Our statewide system has over 100 control channels last time I updated it, and they just added a bunch more, so I'm about to add even more - I'll try to post up an update if I hit the limit...
    Last edited by Alpha; Feb 25, 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Thanks

Finally, a fourm that actually helps you, instead of giving you smart remarks for answers. Mars- I put in your RSSI values on my XTS3k and they seem to work a lot better!! Thanks for the tip!!

moto462575 No Longer Registered

All I can say this site rocks!!. I got this working perfectly on my XTS3000!. There was similar instructions on another site that ends in labs but it did not work correctly. This site had a couple of tweaks that made it work like a charm.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

FWIW, I did hit the wall on control channels. For 9600 trunking, it's either 120 or 128, I can't remember exactly.