Thread: XTS2500 MOD2 LCD goes whacky

moto462575 No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 MOD2 LCD goes whacky

I have an XTS2500 (Panter radio) that occasionally the LCD will display random characters, lines and my favorite the battery indicator will display on the left and right at the same time. It happens on receive only and it just goes away or after a power off/on cycle. This radio has been working fine for over a year and just started to do this. I am thinking the LCD module is going bad but could it be something else as well?

Thanks

Thanks

This happens with mine from time to time as well. I've tried re-seating the connector and what not but nothing. It happens pretty rarely so I haven't spent much time to figure it out. Never noticed the problem on TX, and at least in my case it doesn't affect operation aside from a flaky display.

Thanks

Also to note, mine isn't a Panter radio, not sure if that makes a difference. It is a 123ABC S/N however.

It's not really a bother, I am just worried it's a sign of something is starting to fail. Thanks for the info!!

Thanks

VHF/UHF and 800 use different displays. My guess is that the wrong display is installed.

I should have said it's an 800 and the display had no issues up until a few days ago. Radio has never been dropped and it's used with care.

Thanks

Does this radio have a Ram or Bravo processor? I've seen some of the Ram Processors act up when newer firmware is installed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Maybe the other battery indicator is for the internal clock button battery Seriously, though it does sound like the display driver is failing. Try cleaning and re-seating the connectors, otherwise there's not a lot you can do other than replace it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezking View Post
    VHF/UHF and 800 use different displays. My guess is that the wrong display is installed.
    Different displays for VHF/UHF and 800? I've been using the same M3 replacement housings on both VHF and 800 radios for a long time, and never had a display not work.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moto462575 View Post
    I have an XTS2500 (Panter radio) that occasionally the LCD will display random characters, lines and my favorite the battery indicator will display on the left and right at the same time. It happens on receive only and it just goes away or after a power off/on cycle. This radio has been working fine for over a year and just started to do this. I am thinking the LCD module is going bad but could it be something else as well?

Thanks
    If you decide to replace the display module, I have a few M1.5 housings that came off of working BN version radios. It's not fun, but you could remove the display from the M1.5 housing and install it in your M2 housing. We could work out a price if you are interested.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

There were several different ones for different band splits originally, on the flex they were marked C01 - C04 depending on which one you had. The later ones (C04) I believe would work in any band. The only difference apparently was RF bypass capacitors, as the wrong display on the right radio (or vice versa!) would produce display artifacts when transmitting, including flipping upside down or garbage pixels. I have seen this personally, I had a VHF XTS5000 with the wrong one once, and it had the aforementioned problem. Fortunately I had another radio (UHF) that had a C04 that worked in the VHF radio, and the old display was right for the UHF radio so swapping them worked out OK.
    Last edited by Alpha; Sep 23, 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    There were several different ones for different band splits originally, on the flex they were marked C01 - C04 depending on which one you had. The later ones (C04) I believe would work in any band. The only difference apparently was RF bypass capacitors, as the wrong display on the right radio (or vice versa!) would produce display artifacts when transmitting, including flipping upside down or garbage pixels. I have seen this personally, I had a VHF XTS5000 with the wrong one once, and it had the aforementioned problem. Fortunately I had another radio (UHF) that had a C04 that worked in the VHF radio, and the old display was right for the UHF radio so swapping them worked out OK.
    That's great information - thanks Alpha. I will have to check for any codes on my VHF M1.5 housings before I use the displays in 800 radios.

I will take it apart and try to re-seat and clean the connections. Let me know squeaky if your modules would work on an 800 radio. I don't mind swapping to my M2 case if the display problem gets worse.

Just checked MOL and the display module is no longer available. What's with that?. There are lots of 2500's out there.

Never mind, I found it. Does everyone think it's just the display module?. It really went nuts a little while ago, a simple power off/on fixed it. I am trying to re-create to see if it's a loose ribbon connection but I don't think that's the issue. Going to take it apart as soon as I can.

Thanks

Thanks

Those displays are known to fail. I usually keep 2-3 on hand for my depts radios.

The ebay has a good price so that's the one I will buy and just replace it. Thanks all for the information, that's why this site ROCKS!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moto462575 View Post
    The ebay has a good price so that's the one I will buy and just replace it. Thanks all for the information, that's why this site ROCKS!!
    And just to close the loop, the displays in the VHF XTS 1.5 housings that are in my parts drawer are C04 versions.

Just an update.. I opened up the radio and reseated the ribbon cables, so far so good!.