Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Different types Nextedge NXDN radios

  1. #1
    Yabadabado No Longer Registered

    Default Different types Nextedge NXDN radios

    Are their any other types of radios that will work with the Kenwood system, Motorola, Icom, Johnson ect.?

    Thanks!
    Fred


  2. #2
    Alpha's Avatar
    Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Join Date
    Feb 12, 2012
    Location
    Directly above the center of the earth.
    Posts
    2,702
    Thanks
    869
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 679 Posts
    Country: Christmas Island

    Default

    ICOM IDAS radios are the same as NXDN, from what I understand.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 04, 2012
    Location
    True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 519 Times in 224 Posts
    Country: Albania

    Default

    Icom, AFIK, only does 6.25KHz very narrow NXDN. Kenwood does both 12.5KHz and 6.25KHz NXDN.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 25, 2015
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    243
    Thanked 116 Times in 63 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    The only 2 manufacturers that produce NXDN capable radios are Kenwood and Icom.

    Side note: Nexedge and IDAS are just Kenwood and Icoms trunking protocols as the two aren't compatible. It's just like how Motorola calls DMR, Mototrbo. All a bunch of proprietary names to make a sale...

    Another side note: Be carefully who you purchase from as well because Icom only has very narrow for digital where Kenwood has narrow and very narrow for digital bandwidth. (Viper beat me to it)
    I'm here to learn!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to slapshot0017 For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Yabadabado No Longer Registered

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot0017 View Post
    The only 2 manufacturers that produce NXDN capable radios are Kenwood and Icom.

    Side note: Nexedge and IDAS are just Kenwood and Icoms trunking protocols as the two aren't compatible. It's just like how Motorola calls DMR, Mototrbo. All a bunch of proprietary names to make a sale...

    Another side note: Be carefully who you purchase from as well because Icom only has very narrow for digital where Kenwood has narrow and very narrow for digital bandwidth. (Viper beat me to it)
    So it would seem like the best bet is to stick with Kenwood to Kenwoods NXDN system

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Posts
    355
    Thanks
    1,379
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 374 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabado View Post
    So it would seem like the best bet is to stick with Kenwood to Kenwoods NXDN system
    Yep, if it's an NXDN conventional repeater in "very narrow" (6.25KHz) mode, an Icom IDAS radio will work.
    Icom's don't do over the air aliasing like Kenwood subscribers do either.

    The analogy of DMR vs. TRBO certainly applies here to when it comes to compatibility.
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 04, 2012
    Location
    True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 519 Times in 224 Posts
    Country: Albania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yabadabado View Post
    So it would seem like the best bet is to stick with Kenwood to Kenwoods NXDN system
    Personal choice would be Kenwood. Their radios are light years ahead in quality as well.
    I
    Can
    Only
    Monitor
    Is their nickname for a reason.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 25, 2015
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    243
    Thanked 116 Times in 63 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    I did not even see that acronym!!!! I am totally stealing that!

    Back to the topic at hand Kenwood is definitely the way to go.
    I'm here to learn!

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 04, 2012
    Location
    True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 519 Times in 224 Posts
    Country: Albania

    Default

    Its older than my time. I first heard it in the early 90's as a teen.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 25, 2015
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    243
    Thanked 116 Times in 63 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    I've been around the game for 4 years and that's the first time I've heard it, although I was born in the 90's so.........
    I'm here to learn!

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 18, 2013
    Location
    In Your Network
    Posts
    2,609
    Thanks
    2,414
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 880 Posts
    Country: Holy See

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Viper1-6 View Post
    Its older than my time. I first heard it in the early 90's as a teen.
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot0017 View Post
    I've been around the game for 4 years and that's the first time I've heard it, although I was born in the 90's so.........
    In the 90's I was thinking that cellular might actually be around to stay, and wondering why I had been working in the industry for 20 years already. Now I really real old....
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

    Viper1-6 (Feb 11, 2016)

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 04, 2012
    Location
    True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 519 Times in 224 Posts
    Country: Albania

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    In the 90's I was thinking that cellular might actually be around to stay, and wondering why I had been working in the industry for 20 years already. Now I really real old....
    Love it. Pi got my first cellphone in the later 90's... I was around the 50th digital(original CDMA) subscriber in the area I lived. All I could do was make calls. I could not even text with that phone.

  15. #13
    Yabadabado No Longer Registered

    Default

    is this system easily monitored,UHF NXDN? I understand that almost anything is possible, our company suspects that compeitors are listening in, in fact the system is listed in RR including talk groups, How is this possible?

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 04, 2012
    Location
    True North Strong and Free
    Posts
    289
    Thanks
    1,852
    Thanked 519 Times in 224 Posts
    Country: Albania

    Default

    A simple search would reveal that NXDN is able to be monitored.

  17. #15
    bertolinidives No Longer Registered

    Default

    NXDN cam be monitored? Let's talk about that....

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 21, 2011
    Posts
    139
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 112 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    This thread should be on radio reference.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Communications Support Forums For This Useful Post:

    Markb911 (May 18, 2016),Viper1-6 (Feb 12, 2016)