Thread: Microphone / Flashport mobile connector?

Thanks

Default Microphone / Flashport mobile connector?

Hi, thank you for this great forum.

I don't have an srib or any flashkeys, but I would like to write flash in my astro spectra.

It looks like flashing is done from the front panel mic connector on dash mount radios or on the mic looking connector in the connector cubby on the trunk mount mobiles.

Assuming that is correct I would like to get a connector housing that fits in these spots, without buying a flashport or keyloading cable.

Does anyone know where they come from?

The alternative is to crimp db25 contacts on pigtails and shrinkwrap them, but this is nasty.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

You will not be able to flash the radio with a hombrew flash RIB. The reason being, is the older ASTRO radios do not have a built-in bootloader. This is what the flash RIB is doing when in flash mode.

If you want to flash without the bootloader, I recommend working on the flash ROM chips out-of-circuit. Way easier and much more straightforward than building what you're describing.

Thanks

I have the bootloader code and a reasonable theory of how to push it into the radio (with some agreement in 68hc11 book and detailed service manual.)

I want to connect to this connector easily for experiments. There is a chance that I will not succeed but I will never be able to solder as well as the automated process at the factory.

Thanks

I had put my Astros aside for the time being but I've come back to them.

Without molding a connector housing like the original, it may present some difficulty to come up with an arrangement that will fit a trunk mount high power radio, as it's rather cramped around the connectors and the control head cable is likely to interfere.

However for the other radios, contacts on a PC board is probably workable; alternatively, it may be worth looking into connecting to the front VOCON connector.

pins.jpg

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I don't want to be a wet blanket but a few things to think about, you are assuming that the low level boot code present in the standard MC68HC11 is present in the 'HC11F1 units used in the Astro Spectra and Astro Saber radios. While the serial baud rate of 7200 suggest this is the case, it is not necessarily so. It may be, I simply don’t know.

If you review the service manual you’ll see that the flash memory of the CPU is banked or remapped under the indirect control of the CPU. It needs to be because the address space of the 'HC11 is 64 kbytes while the flash memory size is 1 Mbytes or 512 kbybtes. Banking (re-mapping of the memory) is managed by the SLIC chip so you need to figure out how to read/write the 16 undocumented registers in this chip to manage the banking, generating four more address lines (HA16–HA19). Lastly the DSP56000 family DSP flash chip memory is written by communications managed by the HC11 and that’s also not documented.

So while using the standard 'HC11 boot is simple, loading your own flash burner program is do able (once you know what flash chip burning algorithm is needed), the banking registers that need to be dealt with make this a challenge. Rather than try and solder wires to the controller to work all this out it is easier to remove the two flash memory chips and use a standard programmer to update them. This is what Mars was referring to. An even easier option is to have him update the radios for you.
    Last edited by Astro Spectra; Mar 21, 2013 at 04:39 PM.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

Slimbob (Apr 17, 2014)

Thanks

100% correct about the generic bootloader! But Motorola's bootloaders for the radios are posted somewhere here, so I would use the mobile bootloader that the official update process uses. Actually the only bootloader I do not have is the one for Analog Spectra E (Spectra II). Firmware update files for that radio are not easy to find.

I am eventually interested in the SLIC-IV register map and they have kindly given us the mmio addresses for him in the service manual. I have made a full register map of the SLIC in one radio line and the MMU portion of the SLIC in another radio line, without the benefit of knowing their addresses. Actually, using the bootloader, I don't think that will need to be considered until starting to modify the firmware. I am actually worried about the SLIC-IV, it is much more complex than my previous targets and does much more than bankswitching and i/o expansion: it actually has some kind of procol decoder inside, and maybe a UART too (it's been some time since I looked at the drawing.)

For software development purposes, sending the radio away is not really ideal (especially if i would have to pack my desired flash back into a cvn, haha) and I have had it beaten into my head during my career that rework is forbidden (this left me without experience, best practices as well as without confidence.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kw71 View Post
    Actually the only bootloader I do not have is the one for Analog Spectra E (Spectra II). Firmware update files for that radio are not easy to find.
    I have that stuff somewhere, I will have to look for it. I think it was called SPRO or something like that.

Thanks

Until I find a $30 cable on fleabay like someone else here related, crap like this will have to suit me. I simply ain't paying $100+ for that. This cost about three bucks and some time

micconn1.jpgmicconn2.jpg

Thanks

Nice work.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Nicely done! Did you homebrew those?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Nicely done! Did you homebrew those?
    Thanks for the compliments. The little board was made by a hackerspace fab service. It's really cheap and a small pile of those cost $8 postpaid, turnaround under 2 weeks and done in the USA. I used to make boards at home but you cannot do double sided (plating thru holes is important) or soldermask easily. I recently did my first 0.50 mm pitch hand soldering on boards from this service.

I drew the artwork in Cadence 16.5 but the same result should be possible in Eagle, or anything else if it will let you place on a .001 inch grid. The contacts are from a China DB25 connector. I got the cheapest, straight pc board mount connector I could find. Pulling the tin shell off (drill the two holes) freed all the contacts. The long contacts in my earlier photo are from a military application and too expensive to consider.

I think it should be really easy to figure out the codeplug programming cable for the astro25. Since we know what the pins on the mobile do, looking at the serial port with a logic analyzer should explain most of how it should be hooked up.

This is especially quirky on the high power radio and difficult to remove, but passable for experiments at home. From my perspective the best thing about it is its cheapness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 843 Posts

Now all you need is to draw up the shell for my 3d printer.....

After I get done making AR lowers, of course.....

Thanks

Reads astro25 codeplug
    ast25.jpg

Thanks

Here is where I was with the Astro25 cable

OK Here is what you need to connect to read a codeplug with cps!

Pin numbers are on the mic connector (Motorola's numbering from the BSM)

1 = GND
    4 = B+
    8 = MIC HI : Connect to B+
    9 = VPP : Connect to B+ voltage divider 22k:75k
    2 = RX : Connect to TXD
    10 = TX : Connect to RXD
    Got some space off the desk and monitored the codeplug read

Astro25z.png

I think I know what's going on here, I'm going to add a tranny switch for mode sel, and see what happens.

Thanks

This seems to work with Spectra Plus for codeplug and flash-up!

I have not done much flashing yet, so there may be a bug somewhere.

Astro25Flashpt.png

I'll find out more as I get time, which is a bit short right now.

Any 9.1 V zener will work! Similarly, any NPN for the tranny.

I was stuck on what to do about the reset line, but it looks like this is not needed on this cable for the spectra plus. Maybe it is and I just don't know it...

Thanks

20140316212815.jpgSupport you!

Thanks

Nice photo!! Thank you. We can try and learn the original schematic. Can you tell how the parts are marked?

Thanks

Do you have any of your little mic connector boards left? If so, would you consider selling one? I picked up a smartrib but really not wanting to spend $60 on a cable to flash my AS once.

Thanks

Can you post the gerber files?

Thanks

This is a HKN6183, not HKN6155.

Thanks

I am currently working on my own cable based on this one. I will keep you updated with the results. Photos and details coming soon.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HA5BRG For This Useful Post:

Forts (Jun 10, 2014)

Thanks

I am finished with the construction of the cable. I even made a spectra style programming connector with a friend's CNC machine. But the electronics are failing. I am not able to read the radio. I am connecting it to the PC with an RS232/5V TTL converter (using FT232 chip). Something is not okay with this schematic.

Maybe the DTR line? Can someone explain me the purpose of that 9.1V zener diode?

I would like to understand the proper working method of the circuit.How it was designed, where the data was gathered from?
    Last edited by HA5BRG; Jun 10, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks

Nobody?

Living in a van, down by the Little River in Alabama
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HA5BRG View Post
    I am finished with the construction of the cable. I even made a spectra style programming connector with a friend's CNC machine. But the electronics are failing. I am not able to read the radio. I am connecting it to the PC with an RS232/5V TTL converter (using FT232 chip). Something is not okay with this schematic.
    Are you able to read the radio with other adapters, RIB/SmartRIB?

Maybe the DTR line? Can someone explain me the purpose of that 9.1V zener diode?
    The 9.1V zener allows VPP to switch between A+ (12V) and 9.1V (or higher) when DTR changes states. If DTR is positive, VPP should be 9.1V. If DTR is negative, VPP will be 12V.

I would like to understand the proper working method of the circuit.How it was designed, where the data was gathered from?
    The amateur who designed the circuit has put his callsign in the legend at the lower right. I'd start with Google and go from there.