Thread: Option files for the johnson 5100

coopcity6 No Longer Registered

Smile Option files for the johnson 5100

Any one ever upgrade their option file on the radio?
    I have a 5100 but i want the mdc option, which if you dont know gives you the 800 channels along with that option.
    Anyone have that .opt file?

Michaeldim No Longer Registered

I think that option files are tied to a radio's ESN. Unlocking options will require modification of your existing file.

I haven't the diddly-slightest how to do that, and would really like to know myself. My radio is fine as it is, but I'd really love MDC.

Thanks

The OPT file is based on your ESN. There isn't any easy way to just add options, other than finding a certain efj software.

jaspen No Longer Registered

I have successfully used a hex editor to change the option file. Do not change 00 through 07, as they are the ESN code. For the rest of the file, I copied the rest of a file from a radio that has the options I needed for the new radio.

kd8gua No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by jaspen View Post
    I have successfully used a hex editor to change the option file. Do not change 00 through 07, as they are the ESN code. For the rest of the file, I copied the rest of a file from a radio that has the options I needed for the new radio.
    Consider yourself lucky if you got the options you wanted. The bits after 07 are all different based on the hex of the ESN in bits 00-07. So having a string of hex from 08-16 for FPP, 800 channels, AES, and MDC that works fine on one radio may give you 48 channels, no encryption, analog only, and no full keypad support on another radio.

The only sure fire way to get what you want, aside from the mythical software, is to sit with a hex editor, and PCConfigure and keep going back and forth while modifying bits until the right check boxes are selected.

The only thing I can't figure out yet is Custom Icons. I don't know what that is.

Thanks

Custom Icons is a custom start up screen logo, instead of the EFJ Viking head or the EFJohnson name (depending of firmware version)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IntrinsicallySafe View Post
    Custom Icons is a custom start up screen logo, instead of the EFJ Viking head or the EFJohnson name (depending of firmware version)
    Do you set that with PCConfig or PCTune or some other magical EFJ software?

kd8gua No Longer Registered

All options are factory enabled via PCIssue, but can be accessed via hex editing. The only thing I've yet to see is how to upload a custom icon to the radio...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by broadcom View Post
    Do you set that with PCConfig or PCTune or some other magical EFJ software?
    It would be a factory enabled option via PCTune. I assume that the custom icon would have to be created (most likely by EFJ with customer input on design) and added to a custom bootload ROM since that is where the startup icon info is located. I don't know of anyone ever having custom icons so I cannot confirm the exact process for inclusion in a radio.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kd8gua View Post
    All options are factory enabled via PCIssue, but can be accessed via hex editing. The only thing I've yet to see is how to upload a custom icon to the radio...
    The latter was my question and thanks IS for the clarification.