Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade programming cable?

maxkelley No Longer Registered

Default Homemade programming cable?

Hi all,

Trying to read an XPR6350 with a homemade programming cable. The radio will show up in flashzap mode as a usb device, but I cannot get it to enumerate for regular programming mode. Anyone know why?

Thanks!

Thanks

Yes, its missing the one-wire device that tells the radio it has a IMPRESS programming cable attached. Its just a one-wire eeprom chip with some data on it that tells the radio what is connected, if I remember correctly it contained the part number of the cable.

Thanks

That's as far as I ever got with a homebrew portable cable too... Thankfully with the mobiles it's much easier.

Thanks

I'm quite sure you could make one, it would just require reverse engineering of the OEM cable. I adapted a usb Ibutton reader with some clip leads to read the non Ibutton one-wire chips, that and one-wire-viewer will let you clone the cables if you sample some chips from maxim to use in your homebrew cables BTW same thing goes for the USB xts cables

Hmmmmmm! Interesting! Of course, I'd have to acquire the reader, sample one-wire eeproms, and for all that time, I'd still have no real connector to connect to the radio... sounds like I should just buy a cable It is interesting, though, and if I already had the resources, I totally would.

Thanks for the insight! At least I don't feel so stupid now, wondering why my cable wasn't working :P

oh2lak No Longer Registered

Hi all.

The 1-wire EEPROM molded within the chunk in the genuine programming cable is quite easy to read using a standard 1-wire adapter. Reading the 1-wire bus will scan all devices on it, and the EEPROM will "reply" to the query revealing itself and showing what kind of an EEPROM it is. Similar way the contents of the EEPROM can be read and the contents copied to a new chip.

In the particular case of an programming cable identification, the EEPROM is only read by the radio, not written like the chip within IMPRES batteries etc.

Erik

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oh2lak View Post
    Hi all.

The 1-wire EEPROM molded within the chunk in the genuine programming cable is quite easy to read using a standard 1-wire adapter. Reading the 1-wire bus will scan all devices on it, and the EEPROM will "reply" to the query revealing itself and showing what kind of an EEPROM it is. Similar way the contents of the EEPROM can be read and the contents copied to a new chip.

In the particular case of an programming cable identification, the EEPROM is only read by the radio, not written like the chip within IMPRES batteries etc.

Erik
    I am sure many are interested in attempting this. If you wish you can list the program to read the EEPROM chip ID. Others can then get ambitious and locate the proper program to read the actual chip contents. Identifying a chip will not cost Moto revenue although duplicating it may infringe on their intellectual property or cost them sales.

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a 1-wire interface adaptor for experimenting with this kind of stuff? Looks like it might be an interesting project...

There are others available too but I recommend the original Dallas 1-wire adapter. They are available for both RS232 and USB bus.

http://www.maximintegrated.com/produ...ts/readers.cfm has them all. I use currently a DS9490R USB adapter.
    I have some spare DS1410E LPT-port adapters too if someone is interrested in such.

There are SDK's available for further programming the 1-wire devices but a good start is OneWireViewer which will eventually scan the 1-wire bus within the programming cable and tell what's there;

http://www.maximintegrated.com/produ...WireViewer.cfm

Erik

Thanks

Thanks! I just ordered a 9490R to tinker with. Does anyone know offhand what type of chip is in the IMPRES cables? (If it's ok to share those details....)

Thanks

No issue there. if the chip was accessable you could just read the part number right off it.

Hi all.

I did some applied science and unwrapped the PMKN4012A programming cable molded cube to confirm my findings. Please see attached Dropbox album related to the findings: There is a DS2433 4kb EEPROM inside the blob, which I was able to read successfully. I was surprised to see it is a "legged" version, in other cables I've seen a SMD version of such on a small board.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jfcky74tm5clqg7/mZIVPYcVCL

The main memory of the EEPROM says "USBD???????D???????PMKN4012 ???P USB Dev Cabl???0??????????????" in ASCII. The scratchpad says the same but only to the

This same technology applies for all IMPRES-equipment. They all are identified by reading the 1-wire chip in them. The chip in the programming cable was in R/W mode so it is possible that future radio firmwares pair individual cables by writing to the cable EEPROM etc.

Erik

Thanks

Great work! Thanks for sharing that!! My 1-wire reader is enroute and I've ordered some sample DS24B33's (DS2433's are no longer available) from Maxim.
    Last edited by Forts; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:52 PM.

Thanks

I think you are going to find that the SN of the DS2433 is somehow hashed into the data. I have some hex dumps from various cables I will post when I get back in town.

Thanks

I'll let you know how mine compares as well once my 1-wire interface arrives.

Thanks

why do I find myself longing for the days of the maxtrac where all you needed was a ribbox and a simple cable. It was almost impossible to mess up the programming of these legacy radios.

Thanks

Yeah no kidding. 3 wires and a plug and you were all set.

I have 3 Impres microphones here too... I'm curious to see if the data is the same in all of those too.

Thanks

If you have a ibutton holder and some clip leads you can read the chips with that. Thats my one-wire adapter, lol.

The S/N of the 1-wire EEPROM chip is actually the address it represents itself to the bus and it is visible thus in the communication. The S/N of an 1-wire EEPROM device could be used to limit/allow certain access to a individual device. It could also be used to "pair" a certain IMPRES device to a radio to make only that particular device work with a particular radio etc. I haven't heard about such though, only the iButton used for flashing has some of the features used.

Erik

Thanks

I finally received my 1-wire reader yesterday and did a little playing last night. The data from my IMPRES cable is almost identical to 0h2lak's, with only a few differences in the 2nd line of the Page 2 (40h) line. I'm going to order up some pogo pins and see if I can't homebrew my own accessory connector.

Wouldn't electrical tape, some wire, and some good luck work well for testing purposes? Much cheaper than pogo pins!

Thanks

Actually I was quite surprised to see how cheap the pogo pins were... around $2 for 10 on eBay. But in the meantime I'll likely be using your method

Thanks

You guys might want to check out my recent blog post about my 1-wire device reader with more to come. The links in my signature.

Thanks

magnus, have you been able to read the 1wire from a mobile front panel cable? curious if the "USB1" id appears the same as HT cables?

Thanks

I have not tried. I will have to look into that one. I would like to say its going to be like the apx and mototrbo cables and have more data in it, but that's only a guess.