Thread: Site Trunking Question

Thanks

Default Site Trunking Question

If one has a radio in wide area operation, and one of the sites enters site trunking, the radio will look for the nearest site that is still in wide area trunking and roam there if possible.

Will site locking the radio using the Site Lock function in the radio stop this action?

We are looking to maintain a watch on multiple subsystems in the network from a central location for notification of site trunking events, but it loses effectiveness when the radios roam to systems that are still in wide area mode.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,305 Times in 1,799 Posts

Moved from ASTRO25-family radios, to Network Infrastructure - General Discussion.

Please take care to observe which forum you're posting in next time. Thank you!

Thanks

On our system when we site lock a radio to a site, it will stay on that same site while in Site Trunking or Wide Area mode.

Thanks

You can also use a radio that has been programmed as SmartNet to monitor individual "cells" of a SmartZone system (if that's what you're using), if that helps you any.

Thanks

We tried that, but when you have a radio in SmartNet, it loses the site trunking alert ability (as it is a single-site system), and if we have a radio 'locked' on sites in SmartZone, the radio will unlock and force itself into wide area mode in an effort to keep on-network as much as possible.

gef No Longer Registered

Do you not have ZOneWatch ?? this does the monitoring

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Create a talkgroup for each site and program it in to the respective radios. Then in the radio set that talkgroup's site preference to preferred "always" on the desired site and it will not roam away even in failsoft.

Thanks

Although the 'always' preference is supposed to do what XPR8300 says, I haven't had any luck with it actually functioning as intended. If you want to monitor a particular site, simply only enter that site's control channel(s) in the list. This way, you can keep the site trunking alert, and be sure to never leave the site...just because you CAN enter 32 control channel frequencies doesn't mean you HAVE to!

If the system is broadcasting the adjacent site list, it will still populate and roam even if you do not have that sites control channels in the list. Also keep in mind that you technically do not have to put one single control channel in the radio if you have "full spectrum scan" enabled. The order of CC scan is as follows:

Control Channel List
    Adjacent site CC list [If site is broadcasting, i dont think i have seen a SZ/P25 sys that does not broadcast these]
    Control Channel List
    Full Spectrum Scan [If enabled, its a global trunking setting, not a per system setting]
    Control Channel List
    Full Spectrum Scan

The radio will display 'out of range" during the process and alternates between full scan and the cc list every 5-10 seconds if i remember correctly.

Thanks

Regarding ZoneWatch, we are looking for an automated solution for the staff in Fire Alarm to be notified when one of the subsystems going into failure mode without having to resort to another monitor on the desk or drilling down through UEM.

Thanks

And the system is broadcasting adjacent control channels. We have experience in setting everything from no 'full spectrum scan' to setting site preferences to 'always' and with the ACC broadcast, the radio will roam even when we don't really want it to.

Yep... the radios REALLY want to stay in wide area trunking.

Thanks

Ah, adjacent site broadcasts...nice monkey wrench to throw in. If you have access to the system side of things (sounds like you do with the mention of UEM) then I'm pretty sure you can define specific talkgroups to only work on specific sites, which should keep it locked on?

gef No Longer Registered

ye that can be done in the ucm under talkgoups .. assignn them to whatever site

Thanks

One of our agencies that we support on this system had a XTL5000 Consolette that was wanting to roam around and look for sites in wide area. Instead of the mobile Prepro commander SOW (Site on Wheels) site that was in Site trunking providing coverage for an event. So I get in and start looking at the codeplug and I see under Trunking Configuration and under RSSI Thresholds that Strong Signal roaming was checked. So I uncheck it, setup the radio for Smartzone, and set all the personalities in the radio to go to that zone and site number that the trailers GTR800's are programmed for. And the radio worked without incident and is still working to this day, as far as I know, when that trailer gets deployed.

So bottom line have a look and see if Strong Signal Roaming is checked. If it is uncheck it and see if that will help.