Thread: XTS3000 encryption unmute

Thanks

Default XTS3000 encryption unmute

Is there any way to have the XTS3000 unmute when encrytion is used? With my current configuration it skips right over the traffic while in scan or parked on the channel. I can hit the monitor button and hear the traffic. I've tried using mixed mode and setting it to Digital CSQ under the astro tab but that still doesn't work for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

This is what "AND" muting is supposed to do. The default we usually use is "OR" muting which supposedly will unmute on PL match OR proper selective call/proper secure code. According to what I remember the receipt of proper secure key (encrypted traffic with the correct key) is considered the same as receipt of the correct ID in a selective call or page. This is very confusing, but basically AND muting will mute the channel until you get a Sel call or Page with your ID OR secure traffic with your key, supposedly. Try playing around with that and see if it doesn't fit your needs.

As for the radio missing the traffic, maybe you have "proper code" turned on, which will only unmute on a properly matched secure key. If the radio is seeing receipt of secure traffic, it should be double-flashing the busy LED and the secure indicator on the display blinks, I believe. That will tell you yes, it's seeing the traffic but not matching key or unmuting. If it's not double-flashing the LED then maybe you have tuning or other issues because the radio isn't seeing any secure traffic at all, so of course it won't attempt to decode it or unmute, then. Is this Securenet or ASTRO secure you are dealing with? Astro secure isn't any different than normal Astro traffic except the secure bit is flipped so there would be no difference in the RF characteristics of the signal (i.e. no tuning issues).

Thanks

Looks like I'm using And UnMute, Or Unmute. I'll play around with those settings some more and see if I can get the desired results. Proper code is greyed out and unchecked, I probably should have mentioned I don't have an encryption module in the radio.

I like to monitor some local frequencies that run encryption and would like to know when they are active even though I'm not able to decrypt anything.

The LED does the doubling-flashing when receiving the encrypted signal, just doesn't unmute for it.

Thanks

I believe the firmware mutes the radio on seeing an encryption header.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

OK, to make matters even more confusing, that is not the AND/OR setting I meant. What you have adjusted is the Mute/Unmute status for the RF side of things I believe it's called "Channel Muting". The AND/OR I am referring to is the "Signalling Muting". This is extremely confusing. The muting you have found is the muting that AND/OR's the condition of received signal present (csq broke) AND/OR PL/DPL and has a setting for muting and unmuting the channel. The one I am referring to has only one setting, AND or OR, and it refers to the AND/OR condition of the product of the muting you found with the status of receipt of SEL CALL/PAGE or secure key match. Logically it looks like this:

Ch UnMute = (Unsquelched) [AND|OR] (PL | DPL)

Sig Mute = (Ch UnMute) [AND|OR] (Sel Call | Page | Secure Key Match)

You can see why this is confusing if it takes a bloody formula to even describe it!

Anyway in the final analysis I think your lack of secure board is why it's not even bothering to unmute at all. Plus if you don't have a proper key on the system then all the above about using proper key match to unmute will never happen, so that becomes largely irrelevant. In short, other than watching the double-flashing LED there isn't much more you can do with the fact that it's receiving secure traffic.

Thanks

I've found that the behaviour changes when a secure board is enabled in the codeplug. With secure enabled, PL defeat will unmute on an encrypted signal. With secure disabled, PL defeat will cause the radio to remain muted during an encrypted transmission.

Thanks

Sounds like I'll have to buy an encryption module. I know another person with an XTS3000 with the module that does not have this problem.