Thread: XTS5000R - Emergency Button Sticks

Thanks

Default XTS5000R - Emergency Button Sticks

I recently purchased an XTS5000 (R case) from a reputable seller on eBay. He explained it was re-cased with a new housing, other than below, it looks and works great.

The problem is, the emergency button seems to be a bit recessed in the case and at times will 'stick' in the on position. When it's not stuck, it's SUPER sensitive.

Sometimes, mashing it while it's stuck will un-stick it, but inevitably it will occur again.

The case looks new, I opened the radio and can't see anything obvious wrong with the top case area. I haven't taken the flex and knobs apart yet, but I may do that this evening.

I've got a few 3000's and they don't behave like this...

My question is, is it possible to find a replacement emergency button, or do I need the entire front housing? Also are there 2 different styles of emergency button (one for the 5000 case and one for the 5000R case?) and if so, anyone have the part numbers?

I'm well versed in repair (electronics, radios, etc), but haven't had my hands on an 5000R until now.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

B

Thanks

I took the entire housing flex apart, and it seems that the emergency button contact is defective. (Surprise surprise)

Thanks

I don't know if you're familiar with Accelerated Life Testing (ALT) but it sounds like this may the case here, Motorola will set up a robotic 'finger' to press a single button over and over again thousands of times just to see how long it will take to fail.

These cases should really then be destroyed but they are somehow ending up on fleabay instead, they are essentially brand new except for that one switch or button.
    Andrew

Thanks

Use a pair of pliars and pull it off like I did that stupid "Active" button on my DirecTV remote. I would accidentally hit that button ALL THE TIME!!! #winning Actually, that's probably not a good idea, but it sounds fun.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts