Thread: My first Astro Spectra

Thanks

Default My first Astro Spectra

Waiting for delivery of my first astro radio (should be here today).Radio is 800 mhz spectra with trunking option.I know my way around analog spectras,sabers etc. Anyone out there have any do's or don'ts for these radios?I plan to post the model,flashcode and options installed when I have all that info.I plan on using it as a scanner,I know about the radio ID thing for monitoring but have been told that I can program it in convetional to monitor a site and mute certain talkgroups.Anyway any help or advice for what I am doing would be greatly appreciated.Also which rss or cps do I need to use on this?A friend of a friend gave me a bunch of moto software and said the correct sofware should be in there somewhere.I will not distribute or copy any moto software for anyone so please don't ask.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

All ASTRO Spectras (of same hardware type) are identical. The only differences exist in the codeplug (EEPROM) and HOST/DSP firmware.

If your radio turns out to be an outdated dinosaur, you can always get the firmware bumped to latest/greatest and upgrade your codeplug options. Nothing to worry about.

DO read the forum and the information which has been contributed by members, detailing how to SAFELY put a RX-only radio on a TRS. Since you're admittedly new to this, please DO NOT put an unauthorized radio on a TRS system, without first getting someone to check your codeplug for you to ensure it's properly configured, so as not to cause safety/operational problems for users of the TRS, and a risk to yourself. We're more than happy to help you do things properly.

Also, I see you're a new member here. THANK YOU for taking the time to read the rules and post your question to the correct forum. Everyone is very appreciative! Welcome and thanks for signing up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    All ASTRO Spectras (of same hardware type) are identical. The only differences exist in the codeplug (EEPROM) and HOST/DSP firmware.

If your radio turns out to be an outdated dinosaur, you can always get the firmware bumped to latest/greatest and upgrade your codeplug options. Nothing to worry about.

DO read the forum and the information which has been contributed by members, detailing how to SAFELY put a RX-only radio on a TRS. Since you're admittedly new to this, please DO NOT put an unauthorized radio on a TRS system, without first getting someone to check your codeplug for you to ensure it's properly configured, so as not to cause safety/operational problems for users of the TRS, and a risk to yourself. We're more than happy to help you do things properly.

Also, I see you're a new member here. THANK YOU for taking the time to read the rules and post your question to the correct forum. Everyone is very appreciative! Welcome and thanks for signing up.

Thank you for the warm welcome.I will try my best to keep questions and post in the right areas.Being new to digitial trunking at least on a radio programming level is new for me.I've had digital scanners but always cheated and used software and RR to program my scanners.I understand how it all works but I'm sure there will be plenty of terms and processes that I am unfamiliar with.I provide service for local fire and police so I need to monitor for my job and hobby,scanners just seem skimpy and have poor rx.I like being the guy with the cool "real" stuff in his vehicle too lol.I'm pretty familiar with rss for my Sabers,Syntors,yes that's right Syntors those 25 pound analog relics from the 80's and Spectras (analog/conventional) So i'm sure with the proper guidence I will be able to figure it all out.So guys and gals patience till I know my way around will be appreciated

Thanks

already hit my first snag,getting a message that "codeplug is to new for program" when I try to get/read/write to the radio in rss.Radio is a T99DX+131W_ASTRO with ID # D04UJF9PW5AN and is 1 meg.Bought this radio off of Ebay and like most things Ebay I have very little info on it other than "pulled from service working".Is there a combination of buttons I can press to see the version/info and how I can figure out which software I need?

Thanks

You need to get the latest CPS for it. It is windows based. You can get it here:

https://www.p25.ca/threads/367-ASTRO...-CPS-R05-03-00

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by fullpwr5675 View Post
    already hit my first snag,getting a message that "codeplug is to new for program" when I try to get/read/write to the radio in rss.Radio is a T99DX+131W_ASTRO with ID # D04UJF9PW5AN and is 1 meg.Bought this radio off of Ebay and like most things Ebay I have very little info on it other than "pulled from service working".Is there a combination of buttons I can press to see the version/info and how I can figure out which software I need?

Thanks

Turn the radio on. Press the "HOME" button, 5 times, within the first 10 seconds of powering up the radio. Write down all of the info you see. Then post it.

You may have to do this procedure a few times if the information goes by too quickly.

Thanks

radio info is as follows- R112300 N080302 CNTLHD31 D04UJF0P WSAN 494CFA03 23 1 MEG FLASHCODE 100008-000000-0,I tried to download from your link but says I don't have permission or my account is disabled,maybe because I'm a new member?

Thanks

Your firmware is new enough, but doesn't support rebanding.

As for the download, did you read the giant orange text at the top of your screen? It should be there. It has instructions on what you need to do in order to download.

Thanks

Yeah I saw that and joined the group before I posted,I guess it didn't take right away because now it's downloading for me

Thanks

Made some great progress thanks to software and help on here.Played around with the software a little,programmed in some channels in conventional mode (rx only) and setup to scan them.Workin great for my first programming,keeps pretty good tabs on the same conversation for being in conventional mode and scanning channels.Great radio,rx is outstanding compared to scanners on same antenna.Can't wait to learn more about these and get into some advanced programming.Thanks for the help so far

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

Thanks to the way trunking tries to re-use the same channel for callbacks, you can fairly successfully do what you have done, monitoring in conventional mode. That works progressively less well as the system gets busier, the chances of the system switching channels on you mid-conversation grows as the system resources get more heavily used. But congratulations on getting things figured out - read the tutorials here well, and you will be able to safely and passively monitor with GREAT audio, as you are finding out...

Swailes No Longer Registered

Rethread post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swailes View Post
    Rethread post
    Exsqeeze me?

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Bacon powder?
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

Particularly Nasty Weather?

OK, I have re-threaded the post. It will now play without fraying any further in proper order...