Thread: XTL2500 going into emergency alarm upon low voltage.

Thanks

Default XTL2500 going into emergency alarm upon low voltage.

Has anybody seen this happen before? I didn't know if it was firmware related or has just always been there and I never noticed it.

Thanks

I've seen this on one 800mhz xtl2500 control base, if you turn off the power supply switch with the radio on it would send an emergency sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Hmm. I wonder if you can change the polarity of the signal? If the signal is active high (+12V activates it) instead of active low (grounding it activates it) that might make it not false on low voltage, or vice versa. I'm not sure if you can change the polarity but that might help, perhaps?

Thanks

Ya I'm not sure what it's doing. I'm going up to the VFD to check it out tomorrow. I just thought I'd see if anyone here has experienced this before. The radio in question is a XTL2500 base station that's on a power supply at the hall. There are also 2 more 2500's in their trucks that are doing the same thing. So should be an interesting morning.

Thanks y'all.

Thanks

I got it fixed. The channels used are trunking so I went into all of the personalities and in the emergency tab, I disabled Emergency Alarm. Reprogrammed the radio and unplugged the AC side of the power supply and then powered it back on, in order to simulate a switch over to generator power, and no emergency activation upon power up. Interesting things we figure out sometimes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

So, is that turning off Emergency completely, or is Alarm just the external man-down input?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    So, is that turning off Emergency completely, or is Alarm just the external man-down input?
    I would assume that disables emergency all together. On this system the mobile and base radios do not transmit emergency at all. I'm not sure why that is, but that's the way it is here. Only portable radios are allowed to transmit emergency alarms. So knowing that I really can't verify if that setting disables emergency all together or disables the man-down input.

That is something to test out tomorrow on the bench with one of our spare radios.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

What firmware was in the problematic radio(s)? I skimmed over the firmware release notes, but didn't see anything related to low-voltage/false emergency. Maybe this is a new bug?

Thanks

They were all version 10.00.00 host and dsp. Old as crap as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

Yeah. Hard to fault Moto here if they're at version 10 firmware. Who knows what major enhancements have been made since July 2007, when R10 was released. That **** needs to be upgraded ASAP, if being used in a public safety application. I realize it's likely not your decision -- you're just the tech Upgrades cost money.

Thanks

Yep all these 2500's replaced LCS2000's during rebanding from Nextel and the radios haven't been touched since at least with a refresh key for firmware. I agree all of them need to be lifted to the latest as of this writing. But at $75 a radio I'd be laughed out of the room for even suggesting such a thing. So oh well.

Anyways back to the test I have tested this scenario on one of our shop spares here on the bench and I can't get it to fail in the same way it would at the VFD hall. This radios firmware is 15.00.08/15.00.05. So this could be firmware related.