Thread: Astro Spectra interconnect board mod for W3

Iceman_76 No Longer Registered

Default Astro Spectra interconnect board mod for W3

Looking for some information on astro spectra interconnect boards.

I have a UHF astro spectra mid power that was originally setup for a W9 head. i purchased a HHCH W3 and have put a W3 s-rec in the radio. If I directly connect the W3 to the DB25 on the radio, the only way to power up the radio is to apply power to the SWB+ pin of the rear DB15. But doing this renders the power button on the control head useless. Applying power to the IGN pin on the DB15 only will not power up the radio.

Is there a mod or jumper setting on the interconnect board that could be done to support W3 operation? I have been looking for a W3 interconnect board and they seem non existent.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

They do exist, and the entire faceplaces from Motorola for the W3's were only about 70.00 or so, IIRC. The one for the high power 110W radios is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, like 200-300 or something outrageous but the mid/low power radio faces with 2 DB-25's on them was quite reasonable. I have a couple in my parts bins I will try to locate one for you.

They are similar to the non-W3 remote head faceplates, but they have 2 extra IC's and a large power transistor on the W3 ones that handles the soft power switching function, so you really can't just change jumpers and convert one. If you sourced the IC's and other parts, and changed a BUNCH of jumpers you might be able to do it, but it would be a fairly major project. It's probably easier to just locate one especially because they aren't that expensive.

As I said I will try to track one down, if I can find an extra one for you.

Iceman_76 No Longer Registered

Thanks Alpha!

I was hoping for an easy fix. Let me know if you come across one.

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Ill take one from you as well Alpha, i have a J split i want to convert to W3.. got everything but that damn interface lol.

Thanks

Not to hijack the thread, but will a A-3 interconnect from an analog hi-power Spectra work on an Astro Spectra hi-power ?

Thanks

Thanks

OK, found I have one left, only - sorry. Iceman, since you asked first, I'll PM ya. If he doesn't still need it then XPR8300, it's yours...

Thanks

I have seen some 800mhz astro spectra mid power units going on ebay that are W3 models. They are the drawers only and should have the right interconnect board. A group of 4 sold for roughly $100 and there is a group of 2 currently under active auction.

Jason

Thanks

Man, unbelievable how the bottom has dropped out of surplus radio sales. I think I paid around $80.00 for the face new. I'll take a LOT less of course now

Just a thought, keep me in mind if one doesn't want to spend the extra $$ plus shipping to get 1 3/4 extra radios that are not needed... Or you don't win 'em

Thanks

Anybody have a print of the front interface for a 110w W-3. I just got one off E-bay and I have no TX audio. It looks like someone may have swapped it out, whoever worked on the radio didn't do a very good job, they damaged the coax into the RF board. This was supposed to be a NOS radio.

Thanks

Disregard, after some snooping I found someone had their hands in the radio who shouldn't have, but after removing most of the radio boards and replacing them with know good ones the problem is the Vocon board.

Thanks

For those looking for a W-3 mid power faceplate, I was the lucky winner of those 4 W-3 800 units. I am breaking them up to change my 110w UHF radios to AS from analog. Contact me if you still are interested in one. I am also going to start a thread on the issues I came up with changing the 110 W UHF radios over, because I found it's not just the front interface that makes the radio a W-3 .

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by radioman2013 View Post
    For those looking for a W-3 mid power faceplate, I was the lucky winner of those 4 W-3 800 units. I am breaking them up to change my 110w UHF radios to AS from analog. Contact me if you still are interested in one. I am also going to start a thread on the issues I came up with changing the 110 W UHF radios over, because I found it's not just the front interface that makes the radio a W-3 .
    I would be interested in one.

Thanks

OK PM me about them