Thread: MT1000 Low Band

lowerrollin No Longer Registered

Default MT1000 Low Band

Just received a mt1000 30-36 split from an ebay auction. It turns out I actually need a 36-42 split, and wasn't paying attention. Question is: is there a demand for this radio? I can get it to go out of band about 2 mhz up and down using a hex editor. So.......... 10m use?

Thanks

Many hams like them for 10m and I know a few guys locally who have low band HTs and I was amazed at how far 6 W of FM can travel when the conditions are right!

Thanks

try the shift key when entering channels.
    You may be able to tweak the VCO as well
    The 36-42 split was the least popular but used to take the maxtracs down due the 33Mhz range using the above

Thanks

Pretty sure the OP's already figured it out but here's a great how-to: http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...m-rss-mod.html

shift key doesnt work. I even used a hex editor and forced the freq into it. its just too far out. got the RX 37 to work, but the 39 TX gives me an angry error tone.....
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...m-rss-mod.html this is where I got the info, great site.

Thanks

Unfortunatly you would have to changeout so much in the radio, VCO frontend and TX sections that it isnt practical to do so. I would set up for 10M operation and either use it for that or sell it as a 10 converted unit. Im sure someone here would have use for a 10m FM portable.

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

I have a couple of these i would like to use on 10M FM.. has anyone successfully converted them? The VCOs unlock and these beasts pre-date my "motomodding" days.

Thanks

Getting the RSS to go out of band isnt that hard. The VCO is a different matter but you can use the differance in the 30-36 and 36 - 42 vco schematics to determine what componants would need changeing for OOB lock.

PRC148 No Longer Registered

Here's a 42 MHz to 6 meter conversion document I found. Maybe it will be of some use in figuring out the other end of the band.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5509596/Con...2054%20Mhz.doc

mikem No Longer Registered

If you go to repeater builders web page and look for the Genesis line of radios and near the bottom of the page you will see that Bob meister and I updated that document earlier this year so no more hex editing of the RSS and I also added more transmitter tuning information which will give you an idea as to whats involved in moving the radio up just a few MHz.

You can take the 29.7 to 36 split and modify it to operate on 36 to 42 as I did the opposite and took a mid split 36-42 model and moved it to 10 meters but I have a Hp network analyzer which made things easier with the VCO and RFE changes which were around 50 component changes.

Your best bet is to find the 36 to 42 split radio.

If you want to try it then I can tell you what VCO parts to change but you will also need to do some RF preselector, antenna switch and Power amp changes also and If your not used to working with 0805 and smaller Surface mount parts then it can be a B!%ch to do.

Mike
    WB8VLC

Thanks

mikem you can post the direct link to the document here with no issues. P25 isnt tied down with that garbage of "its not on this site so you have to go looking". Plese feel free to post the componants and any other info you have. Im sure that someone (like myself) would love to add it to my files.

BTW welcome to the site.

I hope this link works from this PC

http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...00-6m-rev6.pdf

As I mentioned the mod to move the mid split to 10 meters and vice versa is really a PITA and not recommended unless you have the time, also it hasn't been documented as well as the 42-50 conversion to 6 meters.

Thanks

The link works fine.

If you happen to have the mods available even if the documentaion is a bit untidy. it would be nice to have them. I can easilly handle instructions like "change C123 from 12p to 15p"

I found the document listing the receiver and transmitter changes but I can't find my notes on the VCO capacitor changes.

Since 10 meters has been so hot lately I loaned my M1000 out to use on my 220 to 10 meter remote base here in Northern Oregon.

When I get the radio back I'll bust it open and measure the changed VCO capacitors.

No problem anyway because I need to test out a new hombrew PIC L/C meter anyway.

Mike

Awesome, thank you Mike. I have one id love to put on 10m FM

Thanks

that would be great thanks as well.

I finished a document on the conversion and now the ? is how do I attach the file?

If i can't attach it here then you can send me an e-mail and I'll forward the document to anyone who wants it along with some other information on the conversion.

may2142 @ comcast.net

Thanks

If you click on go advanced you should be able to attach it.

I already tried that until frustration last night and the drag drop step crashes this PC.

Just reply to my e-mail and I'll forward it.

The problem is my dying video card, I can only have one window open at a time otherwise its taxed to its max capability.

It's a B!Tch to deal with cuz if a web page opens up another window then bye bye all my work and another 3 minutes waiting for boot up.

Even an SDR online receiver web page or something like DX sherlock which is used for watching band openings will crash it if I click on the map page.
    Last edited by mikem; Nov 07, 2012 at 11:04 AM.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AR29MHz-FM/

I'm still stuck with the same POS Dell with Sh!T video card and SH!!t!er Hard Drive so as a result I sent the document to a friend in Virginia and he placed the conversion info in the files section of the yahoo AR29 users group.

It's in the files section to the left, you can't miss it.

Thanks

When you do the shift key out of band trick you have to use the horizontal number keys not the number pad. Be sure to release the shift key for the decimal if you have to enter it. The frequency will go in as ();:// but will convert to numbers when you press enter.

Quote Originally Posted by lowerrollin View Post
    shift key doesnt work. I even used a hex editor and forced the freq into it. its just too far out. got the RX 37 to work, but the 39 TX gives me an angry error tone.....
    http://www.repeater-builder.com/moto...m-rss-mod.html this is where I got the info, great site.

As promised some time ago here is the downbanding document for the mid split Motorola Mt1000 to 10 meters.

Sorry it took so long, it took a new android tablet to be able to do this.
    If anyone need the original twin 6 meter document then I'll add it also as requested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Another thing I forgot c1 and c2 in the VCO section are of course different from c1 and c2 in the receiver section. At the time of the original composing, I was working without a schematic and I arbitrarily selected c1 and c2 for the VCO capacitors designators.

Very cool.. when i get some time one of these days ill execute this mod. I have a pair of 99ch low split radios that would be good for 10m

I looked at all these posts about changing caps and resistors, dummy loads and analyzers, and thought to myself..... finding a 36-42 might just be a whole lot easier. I was about to eat those words the other day, as month 3 was rolling by with no luck from ebay, when I finally found the split I was looking for. twenty bucks got me the 36-42 and an antenna that just so happened to be cut for the freq. I was TXing on. Thanks for everyone who contributed!