Thread: XTS2500 Password Prompt - Is there a way around it?

snarlingrabiddog No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 Password Prompt - Is there a way around it?

Howdy fellas,

I just picked up an XTS2500 that is 800mhz. It came with a nice battery and decent antenna and looked good. I got it pretty cheap as "parts or non-working" so I knew the risk that I was going to face of the possiblity of a "headache in a box." Anyway, long story short, the unit powers up and it appears to work; all buttons function and beep. The "unprogrammed" or "RX-Only" tone comes on when I press PTT. I hooked it up to the CPS and it prompted me for the password. The message also told me I could contact the Moto Depot for a password reset, but I reckon that will come with a fee that will negate any profit I'd make out of the unit. I seem to remember that there was a mod to get around that. If there is, I sure would appreciate any information regarding it. If Moto is the only answer, I may try them just to see how much it would be, or just send it off to my tech. Thanks in advance. Its been very good to see all the informative posts on this board. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,304 Times in 1,799 Posts

Thanks so much Mars! I truly appreciate it. I looked all over the site for it and I guess I just wasn't looking in the right places. I learn a lot here. Again, thanks so much!

acrs627 No Longer Registered

Can't you just write a other codeplug you have saved without the password?

The thing is that I can't read without it so none was able to be saved since the fella bought it as surplus and the agency programmer deprogrammed it without clearing the password before moving on to whatever radio they switched to. Short of writing one from scratch, opening the program and writing it into the radio on a force-write, I'm still stuck. It will either be sold as parts or not working or go to my tech or I'll call just the Depot. I doubt they will do a reset since I am not the original purchaser of the unit.

Thanks

snarlingrabiddog: How come this mod is unsuccessful for you? What version of CPS are you using? This mod works 100% of the time. There's no reason to give the Motorola Depot any of your money.

I cannot post any pre-modified binaries on here, as that would be distributing CPS. But the mod is very simple. If you aren't running R17.01.02, let us know which version you are running and I will post up the mod for you.

Hi Mars. Its not that the mod was unsuccessful; I just couldn't figure it out by the thread. I clicked ok but it wouldn't let me in. I'm running R17.01.02.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snarlingrabiddog View Post
    Hi Mars. Its not that the mod was unsuccessful; I just couldn't figure it out by the thread. I clicked ok but it wouldn't let me in. I'm running R17.01.02.
    Not to flame you, but you didn't do it right. It has to work. It works 100% of the time.

If you followed the instructions and it didn't work, the only thing I can think of is:

- You tried saving your mod directly to PatPort.exe. Sometimes it will not allow you to save to this file, in this location. Save it to your desktop as "PatPort.exe", then go in and cut/paste over the original. It will then replace the original file with your modded one.

- You might've had the CPS running when you attempted to save it? It won't allow you to overwrite if it's running.

Believe me, man. The mod works. Try again and verify the offsets listed in the thread and the two potential conflicts I listed above.

Thanks

Wow that was fast, its already for sale. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-XTS...71081291189%26

I'm just not sure where those numbers are supposed to go. I did have the CPS running, but I can't get into the codeplug to read or edit with thos numbers. I'm not saying the mod didn't work for me; I just can't figure out where to put the offsets. Its really a bit over my head. I just listed it for parts or not working and in the meantime, I'll keep trying. I hate to sell it (or anything) for parts or not working, so hopefully I can figure it out before someone snags onto it. I'm not sure how to get to where I need to put those numbers.

I WAS able to get it to read and write in the tuner section. I was able to save a codeplug in that variation and write to the radio with no changes made.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snarlingrabiddog View Post
    I'm just not sure where those numbers are supposed to go. I did have the CPS running, but I can't get into the codeplug to read or edit with thos numbers. I'm not saying the mod didn't work for me; I just can't figure out where to put the offsets. Its really a bit over my head. I just listed it for parts or not working and in the meantime, I'll keep trying. I hate to sell it (or anything) for parts or not working, so hopefully I can figure it out before someone snags onto it. I'm not sure how to get to where I need to put those numbers.
    The mods are applied to PatPort.exe, not the codeplug. The instructions are fairly straightforward.