Thread: XTS2500 PTT button problem

damoford No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 PTT button problem

Hey everyone,

I have an XTS2500 III and it has been working fine, but the PTT has just stopped working.

When I press the PTT it clicks but it does not actually transmit and the PTT LED does not light up.
    When I connect the speaker mike it works fine, transmits and the PTT LED lights up.

The day before it stopped working all together it would transmit about 3-5 seconds after I pressed the PTT.

Any ideas what the problem might be?
    And any ideas how to fix it?

Thank you guys.
    Damo.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Thread moved to repair/service forum.

Sounds like your momentary pushbutton switch on the PCB has come off or is defective. Would this be a panter88 radio by chance?

You will need to disassemble the radio and repair/replace the switch. Make sure you use the case-opening tool, and not a screwdriver.

The Detailed Service Manual will have the p/n you need. The DSM is available in the Service Manual section of the forum.

Thanks Mars,

Not a Panter88 radio, its trhe one I purchased off yourself.

I am not to good with the technical insides of these radios, but I will look at the detailed service manual and see if it is over my head or not.

I am going to order the case-opening tool as well.

Is their much that I can break inside once/IF I open the case up.

Cheers,
    Damo.

Thanks

Did it just randomly stop working? I'll repair it for free and cover the return shipping.

If you choose to handle the repair yourself, you just need to be careful of the flex cables once you start pulling the metal chassis out of the plastic housing. Open the radio as if the bottom is a hinge.

Thanks

P/N for switch is 4070354A01
    P/N for case-removal tool is 6685666D01

The day before it stopped working all together it would take between 3-5 seconds from when I would push the PTT before the LED would come on and it would actually transmit, then the next day it would not transmitt at all.

Mars I dont expect you to cover any of the shipping, the offer is very nice of you.
    I am thinking it will be over my head to repair myself so I may take you up on the offer and I will pay all shipping.

I do need the radio for the next week still though.

If I could message you after looking at the service manual and after the next week and let you know that would be great.

Thanks again Mars.

Thanks

If you do take it apart, you can test to see if it is indeed the switch. Just short-out the contacts from both sides of the switch. Here's the diagram of how it's wired. As you can see, easy test to perform.

ptt-switch.png

I attribute the funky behavior you describe to intermittent operation. The switch directly interfaces with the controller IC. I think if that were to be failing, you'd also notice other issues going on with various functions of the radio.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 422 Posts

If the switch is intermittent, perhaps a drop of WD40 will clear up the problem.
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks

An update to this thread:

Damoford sent me the radio in question. Indeed, there is severe damage to the PTT switch and the board itself is physically damaged. (pad is lifted/gone)

I have ordered a new switch and will be able to run a small jumper to restore the functionality of the missing pad. The first picture of the damaged switch is how I received it. The cleaned-up pad is post-removal and cleaning.

The cause of this failure is likely due to the defective PTT paddle issue, which is referenced in FSB10278C. I have attached it for reference.

And squeaky, I don't think WD40 would fix this one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 422 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    And squeaky, I don't think WD40 would fix this one
    That's only because you didn't say the magic words! Nice work, by the way!
    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Mars I am very glad I sent it to you to look at, I would of had no idea where to start!
    Thanks Damo.

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Is it possible to purchase individual paddles? My MOL only shows the 25 pack.

Thanks

Yes. P/N for individual paddle is 3878457A03. This is the new one, not the old garbage.

Thanks

ARRGGG WD40 is not contact cleaner or restorer for the type of electronics discussed here. Infact it is not intended for electronics at all. WD40 is a lubricant the name WD40 stands for Water Displacement formula #40. I think the name suggests its proper use. I have lost track of how many units I have seen damaged by the use of WD40

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

It's also a great collector of dust and dirt which have no place in electronics.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Actually with SMT components it penetrates the leads and contaminates the components often fatally.

Neo No Longer Registered

Surprise surprise, Radio Shack tuner/cleaner actually works very well. It's expensive as heck, but if you need it in a pinch, it's good stuff and works.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlamanske View Post
    Is it possible to purchase individual paddles? My MOL only shows the 25 pack.
    Call them and reference the FSB. The 25 pack is free then.

lfd57 No Longer Registered

Had a PTT problem on my XTS2500 last year, ended up having to repair the button on the chassis. OMG are they small !!!

Thanks

I ordered one PTT kit on Tuesday and received it today. Quickly changed mine out and now have some at the dept to do. Very quick and painless and if it save severe damage like shown WELL WORTH IT!

Jason

Thanks

Repaired. Note the jumper which bypasses the missing pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

cnick6 No Longer Registered

Thanks for the great thread here. I just bought a used XTS2500 that falls under the FSB. I thought I had a problem as it took a lot of energy to push down and actuate the PTT switch. I do have the obsolete 2nd gen PTT paddle and need the new one. It turns out though, that the PTT paddle wasn't seated properly. (The 4 prongs were not hitting the rubber gasket button.) After reinstallation it's working fine now.

I'd still like to get one of the new PTT paddles. Does anyone have an extra? Thanks!

EDIT: Duh, I should read the bulletin better. The number is right there in front of me. I'll call and get one.
    Last edited by cnick6; Jan 07, 2013 at 11:13 PM.