Thread: XTS3000 securenet encryption problem

svinson1121 No Longer Registered

Default XTS3000 securenet encryption problem

Thanks for taking the time to look over my post, any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have a XTS3000 Mod 1 the flash code is 140008-400000-8 Firmware 05.00.02.00 DSP N06.04.09 Encryption board is a NTN8255B KG1: DES-OFB KG 2: DES-XL
    I have hardware keys loaded and encryption is working fine on the P25 channels. All channels are conventional. But on analog channels set for securenet I get a keyfail tone when the encryption switch is enabled and a keyfail tone when I try to key up. The channel works fine without encryption. I have looked over the settings many times to make sure the correct hardware key is selected and all the other settings look correct as well. I have reloaded the hardware keys. I have loaded other radios (Johnson 5100’s with the same KVL and they work fine. Is there anything in the flashcode that would allow DES-OFB but not DES or DES-XL? Dose the xts3000 support CVSD ? I have also tried setting a software encryption key with the same results.

Alpha is online now T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

If you have "Migrate from SecureNet" on, it might cause this. If you have the default arrangement of having ASTRO OTAR on, then the "Migrate" field gets checked, and the radio tries to use CKR indexing from the loaded keys. Try turning off the "Migrate" option (you will have to turn off ASTRO OTAR to do this) and see if it still acts weird. Otherwise, it might be a defective secure module hardware problem.

Yes, the XTS3000 will do CVSD as long as you're not trying to use a "mixed mode" channel, it has to be analog only TX and RX. There is no software encryption, it's vaporware on the XTS3000/Astro Saber line of radios - it MIGHT have worked for VSELP radios only but no one is quite sure.

Also, your firmware is pretty ancient. Two major versions behind current - you should really think about upgrading it.
    Last edited by Alpha; Oct 16, 2012 at 12:24 AM.

Thanks

How are you trying to set a software encryption key with an IMBE XTS3000? Software encryption is a VSELP option, so I think that is the problem there.

I think your problem is you are trying to use DES-OFB in analog. DES-OFB is a digital only algorithm. You need use DES-XL in analog or make your analog personalities digital.

I enabled the software encryption in the s-record I did not know it was VSELP only thanks for that info. I was thinking it was ADP. but the problem was there before i made that change. i have the analog channels set to securenet . I can't see anyway I could enable DES-OFB on the analog channels. the P25 channels are set to ASTRO under the secure tab and they work fine. from my understanding the NTN8255B should support both DES-OFB and DES, DES-XL. is this not correct? also i have CKR indexing unchecked and the Migrate is unchecked and grayed out. so i'm thinking alpha is correct and the encryption module is bad.

Thanks for the replys.

Thanks

DES-OFB doesn't work in securenet. Astro only. If you want to use analog encryption, you must use DES-XL.

ADP is an APX/ASTRO25 feature. The ASTRO line doesn't support ADP. If you added Software Multi-Key to your radio by editing the feature descriptor block, you should remove it. It serves absolutely no purpose.

Thanks

NTN8255 is DES-OFB-ONLY. No analog encryption algos in that module.
    (just pulled a couple of those out of some radios 5 minutes ago; digital-only)

Quote Originally Posted by Pezking View Post
    DES-OFB doesn't work in securenet. Astro only. If you want to use analog encryption, you must use DES-XL.

ADP is an APX/ASTRO25 feature. The ASTRO line doesn't support ADP. If you added Software Multi-Key to your radio by editing the feature descriptor block, you should remove it. It serves absolutely no purpose.
    I can't believe i overlooked that. Thanks for the reply, at least now i know it's not a radio or module error.