Thread: XTL5000 KVL/Programming problem [was O3 cable question]

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

Default XTL5000 KVL/Programming problem [was O3 cable question]

Hey guys

I've got a 800 MHz XTL with O3 head here. Can't seem to read/write to it via the GCAI connector whatsoever.

I can read/write/flash/sync no problem via the rear accessory connector (serial).

I'm pretty sure I was able to program the O3 (a different radio) via GCAI serial in the past. Am I mistaken? WTF, over.

Radio firmware is latest and control head was synced with the ASTRO25_CH_BE file.

GCAI serial cable works fine on other XTLs, so it's not the cable.

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

I know the book says you can do it, but i have always had to go in via the *** end of the radio to prg my 03s

Thanks

OK, well that's good news. I thought remote head board was F'd.

Moto was really clueless the day they designed the O3. No USB even.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    OK, well that's good news. I thought remote head board was F'd.

There's USB but its on the *** end only.

My drawer is in a hard to reach spot so I just left the USB cable attached permanently.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Yes you should be able to read write and flash via serial cgai. If it isn't working you have a problem. Jason

Thanks

I'm using a serial cable to connect to the GCAI on my O3 currently.

I've had all three cables for the XTL over the years, bloody joke that you can't use the USB cable on the GCAI on a TIB.

Thanks

I've got an O3 UHF XTL5K that I can read and write via Serial GCAI on the front of the radio, only problem I run in to, is it doesn't read the button assignment on the O3

Thanks

Ok I guess the interface board is F'd. Great.

I'm going back to O5. Thanks for info everyone.

Thanks

Just an update this thread/my problem:

The radio will not key-load, either. I have experienced this problem before with another XTL5K. The problem is caused by fried components in the cable-sensing circuit, which affect GCAI programming cables and KVLing.

The parts are:

VR0417 4813832C75
    U0401 5114000C11
    Q0404 4880048M01

What causes it? Damned if it know. The last radio I had this issue with was fried DURING the key-load process. The XTL5K is far too sensitive to static zaps and other ESD issues. It's more than a coincidence I have seen this happen in two radios in less than two years. What a POS design.

Once I replaced those components in the last radio, everything was fine again.

Also of interest: I note there has been previous repairs to the mainboard in this radio. The ignition sense circuitry was also fried. Those parts are also transistors which are sensitive to ESD.

This is why I have avoided XTLs like the plague. Absolutely brutal design. The "one board" radio is nearly impossible to repair and troubleshoot.

bonusmalusturpis No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    Has nothing to do with the O3. USB is available on J2 on mid power, J600 on all models, and J700 on high power. If used in any of these configurations it will work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bonusmalusturpis View Post
    Has nothing to do with the O3. USB is available on J2 on mid power, J600 on all models, and J700 on high power. If used in any of these configurations it will work.
    What is J2? Can you speak normal language please?

When you plug in the USB cable to the brick, when using O3 head, it says NO USB on the display of the O3. Seems like a ****-sandwich setup to me. How many cables does one need to program a XTL? I've already got the GCAI serial, GCAI USB, and rear serial.

There's definitely something up with the XTL design, as it is very prone to failures caused by ESD (my theory) through the programming/GCAI ports. This is even further evidenced by the fact there were previous repairs done to this board, where the ignition sense components were replaced. This is not the first XTL I have seen with problems. It's very common.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

The J2 is the 26-pin rear connector (on the brick); the J600 is the 25-pin (DB-25) front connector (on the Odyssey TIB); and the J700 (also on the Odyssey TIB) is also known as the GCAI (Global Core Accessory Interface) connector, not to be confused with the GCAI connector on the O5 control head which is called J1.

I think someone at Motorola must have a warped sense of humor because all those same connectors that are on the rear of the O5 CHIB are named differently again, which are (from left to right) the J100 (26-pin accessory); J200 (pwr/audio); J300L & J300R (CAN (Controller Area Network) connectors); J400 (GCAI); and the J500 (USB).

So depending on where you plug your GCAI cable into, you may be using the J1, J400 or J700...
    Andrew

Thanks

This is exactly why I stay the heck away from ASTRO mobiles

Thanks

What programming cables are available for the J600 connector? Is it serial only? or USB as well?

I've scouted around the net (eBay) but can't see a cable that seems to suit this connector. It appears that programming through this connector would be the best way as its available on all models and configurations of XTL's...

Does this sound right to everyone?

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

If J600 is the DB25 on the front, then you'll have to look elsewhere. That connection is used for the siren/pa or VRS.

I always program through the rear 26 pin connector. You've got USB and serial available there.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 Times in 841 Posts

I have all four cables, the GCAI serial and USB, and the DB-26 serial and USB, and try all FOUR of them with problem radios. The fifth cable I use is .40 caliber.......
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

Thanks

+1 on the Rear accessory J2 connector for USB programming. (HKN6163C http://shopwiscomm.com/HKN6163C-HKN6...-P2253505.aspx)

The 25 pin J600 on the front of the TIB is only good for connecting an accessory extension cable to which splits out the other end a J600 and a J2. I don't know if you can attach an HKN6163C to the J2 on the end of that extension cable and the USB programming works or not, the ignition sense may only work through the extension lead.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    What programming cables are available for the J600 connector? Is it serial only? or USB as well?

I've scouted around the net (eBay) but can't see a cable that seems to suit this connector. It appears that programming through this connector would be the best way as its available on all models and configurations of XTL's...
    No it's not available on all XTL's as none remote mount radios don't have a J600 as that connector is only on the TIB. As I said in above post your best bet and the most reliable cable I've come across that works on all XTL's is the HKN6163C.

Cheers,
    Ash

Thanks

OK, next up i'll go for a J2 type cable. not sure if I'll go serial or USB yet as I'm sure serial will come in handy but is slower...

Damn XTLs

Thanks

I don't have any issues with USB with the current drivers/CPS versions. Even 64 bit windows 8.1 works fine. Come along way since the CPS 9 days where it was hit, miss or reboot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    OK, next up i'll go for a J2 type cable. not sure if I'll go serial or USB yet as I'm sure serial will come in handy but is slower...

Damn XTLs
    Better yet, crack open that connector on your shiny new cable and add the other mode to it.

I've ordered up a serial cable and added the USB cable to it. Now I've got one cable that does both.
    Cyrus