Thread: XTS2500 Voice Files?? How to?

acrs627 No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 Voice Files?? How to?

OK so I goteverything setup and working great except the chan announcement feature, I amunder the impression you have to record the names of each ch and then importthem in CPS question is how do I make the files and with what program I noticedthe extension is MFV can someone please explain how to make this work please???

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by Magnus; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Corrected text color

Thanks

It's been a while since I played with this (and decided it wasn't worth playing with) but CPS Help is your best friend here.

You import .wav files (generated elsewhere) into CPS but you must have the radio attached and powered up as CPS uses the radio to encode the audio files or something like that?

Then once you have the audio files loaded you assign them to their respective modes... then you'll have time to make about three coffees while the codeplug uploads!
    Andrew

Thanks

The AT&T Labs text to speech demo does a decent job for voice files. Just remember to stay within the parameters outlined in the Help file.

http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php

What the big fella said about the codeplug up/download time is no exaggeration!

Thanks

As Bigfella237 and alf2109 mentioned, there are very specific parameters needed for the .wav files to be accepted, and the help file details this. I want to say they need to be 8kHz 16bit mono. There is a file size limit but I don't remember it. The help file explains how to record your own sounds using windows sound recorder, but if you're using the att text-to-speech thing you're going to get .wav files that don't comply with the specified parameters, so you're going to have to convert them. I use an ancient program called CoolEdit96 (the "96" is for 1996 lol) that's not free unfortunately, but I bet there is a way to do it with more modern, free software like Audacity. I want to say I've used Audacity in the past but it's been a while and I don't remember exactly what to do.

Regarding needing to have the radio connected and powered up: I don't think this was necessary for me, but I could be mistaken. I don't play with this feature much because the novelty wore off real fast and the read/write times are just excruciating.

Thanks

It is a 3 step process basicaly, 1) make a file using the AT&T program, 2) open that saved file with Audacity, go to bottom left of page after file is opened, change parameters to 8000khz and save file, 3) open that saved file in the CPS to convert, then convert file to .mva, it is done, this is how I do it for APX radios.

Thanks

I use text to speech maker with some Callepstral voices and I'm able to save them in the proper format.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I use text to speech maker with some Callepstral voices and I'm able to save them in the proper format.
    You mean http://www.cepstral.com/demos/ ?

Makes me wanna get an XTS2K5/XTS5K just for channel announcement.

Thanks

I just downloaded the Homer Simpson voice package for my Garmin GPS, maybe I could sample a heap of Simpsons episodes and have Homer or Bart on my radio as well?
    Andrew

moto462575 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    I just downloaded the Homer Simpson voice package for my Garmin GPS, maybe I could sample a heap of Simpsons episodes and have Homer or Bart on my radio as well?
    Should program my departments radios with Homer going DOH! when the user tries to tx when a channel grant is denied rather than the Moto bonk sound !
    Your correct about the codeplug loads with the voice files, good time for a lunch break.

Thanks

You don't need to buy any fancy software. I use Windows XP and if you go to Programs---Accessories---Entertainment--- then use the sound recorder feature. When you use the A T & T site just save the file to your computer and use the sound recorder to change it to 8K mono and save it again. Then, with the radio connected to the computer use the CPS to convert the wave files to the motorola format. You do have to tell the computer where the voice files are stored and where you want them saved so the computer will show them in a drop down list to be picked from for a specific channel.

You can also use a program called A1SpeechTRON, it a free download. This software gives you a little more latitude in manipulating the voice files to yourr tastes.

I prefered the text to speech method rather than trying to record someones own voice. I currently administer about 60 XTS2500's all with voice files.

Now for the down side......If you have a lot of them in the radio the software takes forever to dump when you are finished manipulating the radio and you click the "X" to close the code plug. I have 3 zones of 16 channels all with voice files and it takes 3 minutes and 45 seconds to dump the code plug out of the application so I can open another one.

KC9UNK No Longer Registered

I'm guessing there's a big step somewhere along the line you guys all didn't mention because i change my wav files to 8k and 16bit and my CPS isn't finding them or opening them to convert anything anywhere.

KC9UNK No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by KC9UNK View Post
    I'm guessing there's a big step somewhere along the line you guys all didn't mention because i change my wav files to 8k and 16bit and my CPS isn't finding them or opening them to convert anything anywhere.
    I used at voice them saved them to com. Then used audacity to change them to 8k 15bit and my cps isn't finding them or letting me open the folder they're in

Thanks

Go to tools-> voice file compression.

Set input for folder that has .Wav (you will not be able to open folder to view .wav files)
    Set output for location for were you want your compressed files saved.

Must have radio hooked up for the compression, the radio actually does the compression.

Files must be 8khz 16bit Mono and no greater than 58k in size. .wav File names limited to 32 characters.

I use windows voice recorder to change my files to the above specs.
    Last edited by moetorola; Oct 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moetorola For This Useful Post:

SwissMoto (Oct 17, 2014),Walt Bishop (Oct 14, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    ... Then once you have the audio files loaded you assign them to their respective modes... then you'll have time to make about three coffees while the codeplug uploads!
    Very true.

From memory once the voice files are loaded and confirmed functional, there is no need to read/write voice files with future .cpg read/writes (unless making voice announcement changes)?