Thread: Part Number for GMH Separation Kit Cable

Thanks

Default Part Number for GMH Separation Kit Cable

I recently inherited a BK-GMH5992R that is configured as a remote mount. Nice radio, but I can't find the separation cable part number. It has a 16-pin, 2-row header (photo attached) on both the control head and the drawer. Does anyone have an idea as to what the part number might be?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

The 8' cable is LAA 0626; the 17' cable is LAA 0627. Also note that the "remote mount kit" LAA 0625 does NOT include either cable - so much for the concept of "kit". No idea what the availability of this stuff is, but I may know a dealer that has some in the back room.

Thanks

Thanks. You would think that BK-RELM would have more information on the topic since the GMH is still supported.

I found a LAA0629 on eBay, but I don't know if it's for the GMH, well that and the guy wants about three times what it's worth. I can find all kinds of references to the DMH separation cable, but no information about whether it will retro-fit to a GMH. BK-RELM has a habit of using the same cases and connectors for several iterations of their equipment, but I don't want to bet on it -- especially since the only photo I can find of the DMH cable looks more like a CAT5 or something.

Oddly, the Molex connector shows up on several car stereo installation kits. I may just make my own if I can fine the right connector(s). Can I assume that the pinout is the same on both the control head and the radio? (CH pin 1 = Radio pin 1?)

Thanks

I can't find any info on the LAA 0629 in my documentation or on line. I never sold the DMH so I don't have the service manual and can't comment on the pinout. I did find some additional info on the cables however, the LAA numbers included the power cable for the proper TX power output. The 8' KIT is now LAA 0641 for low power, 0641-100 for high power. The 17' KIT is now LAA 0642 for low power, and 0642-100 for high power. Also now LAA 0643 is a 25' low power only. The remote cables ONLY (no power cable) are part numbers: 6006-30975-304 for the 8'; 6006-30975-305 for the 17'; and now 6006-30975-306 for a 25'. All of these numbers are for GMH5992R per your original post.

Thanks

Thanks ppcradioman. While I'm not able to find a cable at a reasonable cost -- or even to verify that the ebay cable would actually work on the GMH, I was able to track down the cable components from the part numbers you gave and discovered that the connector at each end is a Molex 43025-1600. Now I just have to wait for DigiKey to deliver and I will start building my own cable.

Thanks

Glad you were able to figure out a solution. Good luck with your project, I am just digging into a GMH with a VCO issue, no TX - and they are no fun to work on in my opinion. Please indicate thanks by using the "Thanks" button at the bottom of the post(s) which you felt were helpful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ppcradioman For This Useful Post:

PossumCop (Dec 21, 2016)

Thanks

I always forget about the button.

Whoever designed the GMH didn't have any love for the technicians who would eventually have to work on them. I especially like the ribbon connectors that are almost too short to keep connected while trying to get the case back together. One last question; what are the odds that the cable is a "straight through" connection (pin 7 on one end is also pin 7 on the other)? All of the other BK products I've encountered use that scheme, but occasionally they like to change things up just to mess with us.

Thanks

The interconect diagram in the book shows it is straight through. It says pin 9 on both ends should be ground, I guess you could verify that. I would think that, if the connector is identical on both ends it would be straignt through. If it's not, then the offset of pin 9 would be a warning. Anyway I do not know for sure since I don't have one to bug the cable. Yes, that ribbon connector design must have been by elves at the North Pole or something. :-)