Thread: XTL1500 Help

jkbarr30 No Longer Registered

Default XTL1500 Help

We recently installed new XTL1500 radios in all our vehicles. One of our members cloned a single head radio to a dual head radio configuration. The dual head radio now has an error message saying "Maintenance Mode Remote Device". I cannot read or write to the radio through one of the heads or plugging directly into the deck, it just gives an error message. I spoke with Motorola Support and they said I had to synchronize the heads with a file called XTL1500_DVN4296B.cvn. Of course this can't be done because you can't write to the radio. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this without sending it in to the depot?

Thanks

You may still be able to sync heads even though you can't write to the radio.

Ok, by default the synch file needs to start with ASTRO_25_xxxxxx, do I just rename the file the Motorola Tech said I needed to match that naming convention? Otherwise it won't let me use XTL1500_DVN4296B.cvn to synch the heads with.

Thanks

No the XTL1500_DVN4296B.cvn is the radio firmware file. Try the default CH file, nothing needs to be renamed. This is reason number 5,498 why I dislike xtl radios.

Thanks

The 1500 has its own sync file.

Jason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMR061 View Post
    The 1500 has its own sync file.

Jason
    Also did u remove the 2nd head then try reading and writing?

Yes, I removed the second head and still cannot read/write the radio.

I called Motorola support again, they advise I need the newest synch file ASTRO_25_CH_BE.cvn, unfortunately they haven't approved my account yet so I can't download the file .

Thanks

Wait does it function properly with only the main head attached? Writing a code plug to it should not cause a firmware mismatch. Idk why Motorola would tell you that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkbarr30 View Post
    ~ One of our members cloned a single head radio to a dual head radio configuration. ~
    I take it the dual head radio was working before this 'member' cloned the codeplug into it?

Can you explain exactly how this cloning was done? There are a number of different settings within the codeplug for multi-CH radios.

If there was no firmware change involved then I doubt syncing the control head/s with the brick will do anything? It may well be that something physical happened during the process, possibly voltage/static related, and the hardware failure has nothing to do with the codeplug written?

Either way, if they are "new XTL1500 radios" and still under warranty I wouldn't be messing around too much with it, pack it back in it's box and ship it off to Mother!
    Andrew

Thanks

Agreed, XTL's are apparently very vulnerable to static damage. Most all the failures I have seen in person and on here were radios operating just fine until touched in some way, adding a ucm; programming; flashing; swapping control heads...

Thanks

I thought about this for a bit and the XTL1500 is not available in multi control head configurations. I don't even think it is available in remote mount period. The CPS has the multi head options all greyed out in a XTL1500 codeplug. Are you sure we are talking about a 1500 here and not a 2500 or 5000? Probably doesn't make a difference but just want to clarify.

Jason

I was not present when the cloning was performed. The radio is a XTL1500, in CPS the menu is "Radio Wide" then the "Control Head" tab as the options for respective to how many and how they function. I was able to successfully synchronize the heads last night but now it looks like the problem has been isolated to the deck itself. Motorola support wants me write the latest firmware to it, R17.01.02, however I still haven't been given access to motorola online.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JMR061 View Post
    I thought about this for a bit and the XTL1500 is not available in multi control head configurations. I don't even think it is available in remote mount period. The CPS has the multi head options all greyed out in a XTL1500 codeplug. Are you sure we are talking about a 1500 here and not a 2500 or 5000? Probably doesn't make a difference but just want to clarify.

Jason
    Ecat agrees.

If the radio is new, I would send it to the depot.

The CH on the radio says PM1500 if that makes a difference?

Thanks

The PM1500 is a completely different radio to the XTL1500, the former cannot have any trunking options FLASHed, nor OTA Provisioning, nor Packet Data.

Pretty much the only FLASHcode options a PM1500 has available are:

G241 - Analog Only Operation or G806 - ASTRO Digital Operation;
    G114 - Enhanced Digital ID Display
    G507 - 12.5 kHz FCC Mandate
    G791 - Enhanced Software Capabilities
    and
    G48 - Conventional Systems Operation

So let me get this straight, your member cloned a single CH XTL1500 codeplug into a dual CH PM1500 radio? (The radio is probably just as confused as I am?)

How do you plan to do a firmware upgrade if you can't communicate with the brick (aka the drawer / the deck or whatever you want to call it)?

I really think you're wasting your time messing around with the firmware, the depot will no doubt upgrade that anyway before returning the radio?
    Andrew

Thanks

Actually the radio brick is the same hardware but that is beside the point here.

If this is a new radio and owned by a fire dept than the "member" who was ****ing with depot should be fired or at least tied down and beat with a bar of soap in a tube sock. He has now probably cost your dept a trip to the depot, which should not be fixed under warranty.

Agreed, I pulled everything out and I'm sending it to the depot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Actually the radio brick is the same hardware but that is beside the point here. ~
    Yeah sorry, I should have clarified "completely different" in a firmware, operational and optional context.
    Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237 View Post
    Yeah sorry, I should have clarified "completely different" in a firmware, operational and optional context.
    Not trying to correct you, just spreading some general info a lot of people may not know

Thanks

No problem...

If nothing else it's interesting that the PM1500, which is the lowest tier ASTRO 25 Mobile radio, supports multiple Mantaray control heads and the XTL1500 does not?
    Andrew

Thanks

Yeah the PM1500 was built to replace the MCS2000 in conventional operations. The XTL1500 was meant to be a trunking radio.

syntrx No Longer Registered

And in low tier markets too, there are tow truck companies and the like around here using XTL1500s.

I really like the PM1500 head, so it's a shame the feature set it offers is so limited.