Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updates to OP25 project - DMR, Yaesu Fusion, DSTAR, TIA.102 test pattern Tx/Rx modes added

Thanks

Default Updates to OP25 project - DMR, Yaesu Fusion, DSTAR, TIA.102 test pattern Tx/Rx modes added

Hi All,

Since earlier this year, Max, KA1RBI has added in Yaesu Fusion, DSTAR and DMR modes to OP25, in addition to the existing P25 Phase 1, Phase 2 and LSM/CQPSK Rx support. OP25 can transmit these modes as well as receive them. Here are a couple of short (untidy) videos that demonstrate the capability.

1) OP25 transmitter, using a USRP to transmit into a Motorola Quantar, and being received by an XTS series radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba0E4hMYqag

2) OP25 transmitter, putting out the standard TIA.102-CAAA-C 1011Hz test pattern, with 0% BER being shown on a receive radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baWF5qQ6L_g

Of course, all this is experimental, free software, so it sin't exactly user-friend and requires some knowledge to get it running.

Cheers and Marry Xmas all!
    Matt

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

b16a2 (Dec 22, 2017),BIG-BOY (Feb 22, 2018),box (Dec 27, 2017),cyrus (Dec 22, 2017),diablo47 (Dec 26, 2017),Jay (Dec 24, 2017),Magnus (Dec 23, 2017),Mars (Feb 11, 2018),mobios (Dec 28, 2017),Modatman (Feb 11, 2018),p47r4ck (Dec 29, 2017),SPECIAL_EYE (Jan 13, 2018),Technoweenie (Yesterday)

Thanks

Yes awesome work he is going. op25 has come a long way. Much easier to get going than 10 years ago.

Anyone know if a place like Library Genesis has copies of the standards?

Thanks

It was all compiled from source back then, with lots of dependencies... It certainly took some effort to get going!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    it sin't exactly user-friend and requires some knowledge to get it running.
    Matt
    That is an understatement. I managed to get a version running but what a pain.

What would realy help is a strait forward FAQ on installing it.
    Ie

Start with clean install and install OS XXXXXXXX v XXXX
    Install Support files XXXXXXX
    Install OP25 files XXXXX and XXXX
    Install support files XXXXXXX

to use Op25 make a icon pointed to XXXXXXXXXXX
    click the icon and type XXXXXXXX SSSSSSS YYYYYYY TTTTTTT.
    When the main screen is showing......

Thanks

You obviously havent tried it recently.

As stated here and elsewhere, the install is automatic and scripted. Run install.sh and its done!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

box (Feb 13, 2018),cyrus (Feb 12, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MattSR View Post
    You obviously haven’t tried it recently.

As stated here and elsewhere, the install is automatic and scripted. Run “install.sh” and its done!
    That is way awesome, I too installed OP-25 some time ago and it was a bit painful.

Thanks

Default Updates to OP25 project - DMR, Yaesu Fusion, DSTAR, TIA.102 test pattern Tx/Rx modes added

Notarola,

I am still at a loss to understand why such a talented individual as yourself is having any problems with the install.

Its so straightforward now that the FAQ looks like this:-

1) Install linux. Preferably Ubuntu as thats the most common distro

2) git clone the repo, the URL is on the website

3) run install.sh

4) enjoy!

In fact its so simple now that Radioreference users are getting it going and are giving feedback like this:-

(From WX4JCW)

Quote Originally Posted by WX4JCW
    Install time 5 Minutes, finally got to listen while in the Chicago area to Starcom21
    Perfect Audio Decode- Nice and clean, thanks Boatbod you rock

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Feb 15, 2018),Alpha (Feb 17, 2018),triptolemus (Feb 13, 2018)

Thanks

The issues I had were getting linux installed properly. Once that part was done right the rest went ok. This was all done before the post you made on the install.sh method.

Thanks

I did the install last year with previous instruction and it when well, I think I had to copy and past five lines or so, got it working in 10 minuets, running Ubuntu 14 LTS (64x). Now it looks even easier.

In a week or so I will install with the new method on a fresh laptop.

Thanks

People have been having success running it on an Raspberry Pi 3 as well. Saves having to dedicate a whole laptop to the task!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 535 Posts

Not to be a buzzkill, but I just got done getting op25 running on the latest 64-bit Ubuntu 17.10.1. I hate to argue with MattSR, but there are a couple of other prerequisite steps you must do in order to get it going. Gnu Radio and RTL-SDR are already installed in the standard Ubuntu Desktop distribution, but you need a few more things to make it work. Here's the additional requirements/commands:

sudo apt install git
    sudo apt install cmake
    sudo apt install build-essential
    sudo apt install pkg-config
    sudo apt install doxygen
    sudo apt update

Then, part of the Post #7 above instructions:

git clone https://git.osmocom.org/op25
    cd op25

Problem - There is a bug that kills the make job in one of the source files! Use emacs (or vi) and edit the file:

~/op25/op25/gr-op25_repeater/lib/p25_frame_assembler_impl.cc

Add two casts of "(char)" before the two 0xff (assumed int) static constants. Here is how the new fixed line 42 should read:

static const char wbuf[2] = {(char)0xff, (char)0xff}; // dummy NAC

Then, finally you can:

./install.sh

Aaaaaaand - it works!

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Feb 18, 2018),com501 (Feb 18, 2018),Mars (Feb 18, 2018),MattSR (Feb 18, 2018),slim (Feb 18, 2018),SPECIAL_EYE (Feb 19, 2018),SwissMoto (Feb 22, 2018),triptolemus (Feb 18, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,257 Times in 478 Posts

Thanks Alpha. Just a note that for me, on a fresh install of Ubuntu 17.10, swig was not present.

ImportError: No module named op25_swig

sudo apt install swig then re-installing op25 got things running.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 20, 2018),MattSR (Feb 18, 2018),SPECIAL_EYE (Feb 19, 2018)

Thanks

Excellent, thanks Alpha and triptolemus - I'll get that added back into the script so its automated. Not sure what broke p25_frame_assembler_impl.cc but I shall find out!

Thanks for trying it and reporting the feedback. Stuff like this makes it easier, better, more reliable for everyone!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 20, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I hate to argue with MattSR
    No argument from me at all - it was broken! Thanks for the fix! The more feedback like this the better!

Thank you again! Glad to see people are trying it out now!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MattSR For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 20, 2018)

Thanks

OP25 left me this installop25msg running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS;

Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...
    ./install.sh: 19: ./install.sh: cmake: not found
    make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
    make: *** No rule to make target 'install'. Stop.

I'm not that familiar with Ubuntu, do I need to do the equivalent of an un-install in Windows? if so what is the procedure, or do I just delete the OP25 folders? I notice some of you are running 17.10, it beta correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SPECIAL_EYE View Post
    ./install.sh: 19: ./install.sh: cmake: not found
    As Alpha mentioned in post #11, cmake is not installed by default in Ubuntu.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 20, 2018)

Thanks

Since this thread is all over the place, I'll just ask this here...

Is anyone having good success running op25 in a VM? I'm not having much luck. I'm thinking that my 2012 Mac just doesn't have the muscle to run this properly in a VM. I can get it running, but voice decode is very poor, then op25 eventually falls over with "tuning error +/- 1200".

The thread at RR drifts all over the place, and it doesn't look like anyone did very well in a VM on a consumer grade PC. I'm happy to give it the proper hardware, but I just don't have a need for it until Phase II comes along in my area (years probably).

I don't want waste everyone's time mucking around with this, but any thoughts on op25 in a VM would be appreciated.

Thanks

All my work is in a VM. I have had moderate success and it has been a learning curve. What I have found is first set aside 5 gig for the VM. Next Install and get your linux OS running. That is the biggest hurdle. Non of the OS installs are self contained. They all need added support files. The way I did it was to install Ubuntu and a picture viewer (Gwenview). Then when I run the viewer I install any dependencies it wants. when it loads and the images are there. I know the OS is ok.

I now go to the link Matt has provided and run install.sh. Usually something will pop up as missing. the most common fix is to make a note of what is missing and then type " apt-get install ......... ". Install the files and retry install.sh

That is how I got it going 2 months ago. reading the thread it looks like some of the missing parts are now in the install.sh process.

Thanks

Thanks, but I know how to get Ubuntu 17.10 and op25 running without issue. I know how to throw all available resources from the host machine to the guest VM. Alpha's post above is spot on (except swig). Some decent troubleshooting can be had in the VM thread on RR, but most of the discussion around running this in a VM has ceased.

I know I can just throw hardware at this and have it running easily. I'm almost positive my Mac just doesn't have the cajones to do it in a VM. If anyone is running op25 (running well) in a VM, what are the specs of the hardware/install/VM?

Thanks

Thanks, Alpha, and everyone else. I've pushed an update to the install.sh script with these added deps. Also patched the (char) problem but using a different technique that ended up being more long winded, c'est la vie. The important point is all of these bug reports that we receive will improve OP25 for everyone. OP25 is a bit easier to install than it was years ago, and if there are rough edges that can be removed it is good to report them!

As far as CPU usage and performance the receiver has been drastically improved in the past few months (this is especially the case compared to the old, wx-gui version of OP25, scope.py). It will now easily run in a Raspberry PI. The DMR receiver was benchmarked on the RPI with four simultaneous DMR 2 slot TDMA frequencies (eight voice channels streamed over UDP) being about at the limit of its CPU capability. The P25 receiver, rx.py should no longer require a large or CPU intensive VM installation. The VM performance should depend more on the USB performance relative to the SDR hardware in use than on OP25 itself...

Max

p.s. when using the osmocom.org OP25 repo the most up to date version is generally found in the 'max' branch

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KA1RBI For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 20, 2018),box (Feb 20, 2018),MattSR (Feb 20, 2018),triptolemus (Feb 19, 2018)

Thanks

Running quite successfully on VMWare Workstation 12 on a Win7 64-bit host i7 quad-core laptop. To run pre-compiled gnuradio, you need 2 cores (1 x dual core) and about 2 or more GB RAM and 20 GB disk space in the VM. To compile gnuradio, I gave it 4 cores, 40 GB disk space and 6 GB RAM. That still took about 4-5 hours to compile!

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    Since this thread is all over the place, I'll just ask this here...

Is anyone having good success running op25 in a VM? I'm not having much luck. I'm thinking that my 2012 Mac just doesn't have the muscle to run this properly in a VM. I can get it running, but voice decode is very poor, then op25 eventually falls over with "tuning error +/- 1200".

The thread at RR drifts all over the place, and it doesn't look like anyone did very well in a VM on a consumer grade PC. I'm happy to give it the proper hardware, but I just don't have a need for it until Phase II comes along in my area (years probably).

I don't want waste everyone's time mucking around with this, but any thoughts on op25 in a VM would be appreciated.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

triptolemus (Feb 20, 2018)

Thanks

FYI, for those wanting to switch to the "max" branch of op25, it is recommended as it contains many improvements over the stock code, apparently. It took a bit of googling, but I found and did this successfully:

cd ~/op25 (or wherever you cloned the main branch repository to)
    git checkout max
    git pull
    ./install.sh

Enjoy! Thanks to RR for the original info.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

Notarola (Feb 20, 2018),triptolemus (Feb 20, 2018)

Thanks

OK following the above instruction I was able to install the non-max version of OP25.

Here is what I did in Ubuntu 16.04. (thanks Alpha)
    Code:
    sudo apt install git
    sudo apt install cmake
    sudo apt install build-essential --> not needed in 16.04, newest version installed
    sudo apt install pkg-config	--> not needed in 16.04, newest version installed
    sudo apt install doxygen
    sudo apt update  # I think you could do "sudo apt install swig" first then this command

sudo apt install swig

git clone https://git.osmocom.org/op25

cd op25

./install.sh

#then once complete this additional command for the scope:

sudo apt-get install gnuplot-x11
    I then ran this command:
    Code:
    ./rx.py  --args 'rtl' --gains 'lna:49' -f 770.44375e6 -T wpg700b.tsv -2 -S 1000000 -P symbol -o 50000 -w 2> stderr.2
    And OP25 ran fine but I had no audio. I then realized that my audio was not working on the laptop. For good measure I started new with a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 have audio on laptop now. This time I installed OP25 what I think is max version found here:

https://osmocom.org/projects/op25/activity

It was revision 7bdfe78a 02/19/2018.

I tried using the update link in this thread and it told me I was "already up to date". or something like that.

So now when I run the same argument as above I get:
    Code:
    linux; GNU C++ version 5.3.1 20151219; Boost_105800; UHD_003.009.002-0-unknown

gain: name: LNA range: start 0 stop 0 step 0
    setting gain lna to 49
    supported sample rates 250000-2560000 step 24000
    set_center_freq: 770493750
    Using Volk machine: ssse3_64_orc
    Does this mean my dongle is not recognized this time around? It's one of the Tumbnet ones that why I have omitted the correction command -q, it's already zero.
    Last edited by triptolemus; Feb 20, 2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: code tags for readability

Thanks

I see a few of us are playing with op25 tonight. So I'll update my situation. Short version is running/decoding fine now, with a couple of problems.

I deleted my VM and started over. I gave the machine more RAM - 6 GB, and paid closer attention to motherboard, processor and acceleration settings for the VM (RTFM, it's your friend). I also moved the SDR dongle to a USB3 bus, but I doubt this made any difference.

I maxed out the sample rate to 2560000, although I will experiment and see if I can get this lower, as it is likely causing "PCM underrun" errors, I'm guessing?

I've got a valid talkgroup TGID Tags File in trunk.tsv, but op25 is not displaying any TG names. I think it likes the format because when I screw with the tabs it errors out as expected.

I'm still playing with the white and black lists, but so far, I'm not having much luck. I've tried several different formats.

Can anyone confirm the formats of these files (white/black lists, and tgid tags)?

I've also noticed that I'm not seeing any "interface" that I see in other screenshots, particularly the command keys at the bottom of the terminal window. Are these still there, or have they been removed?

I'm on the max branch...thanks.

Otherwise, decode is excellent and all seems stable.

Last edited by triptolemus; Feb 20, 2018 at 11:04 PM.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

Mars (Feb 20, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,302 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    The permissions aren't set up properly.

Code:
    Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast