Thread: MTP850 basic information

Thanks

Default MTP850 basic information

Hello all.
    I recently purchased a batch of five MTP850 and as I am very new to M tetra products, I could use some more intel. These are used on a private frequency pair on DMO only (for now).
    I might be inclined to try to out-of-band these, but please tell me if that discussion is ok here.

These were bought cheaply, One PT911B, four PT912B. All seem to work, which is nice.
    I really do like the format. I've been using Nokia/EADS/Cassidian/Airbus THR880/i and sepura gear earlier.
    Am I correct, that the MTP700 was the last tetra portable from M that had Impres-batteries?
    The charging contacts on these are questionable at best. That might be why there are many chargers around that will charge the batteries from the radio side contacts.
    Alas, I also bought an MTP850S, but that has yet to arrive.

Now for a few questions:
    1. What are the main differences between the non-S and S?
    2. Apart from audio accessories, body and internal pcb, are there any other compatibility-issues?
    3. A data cable from a motorola handheld phone should work for basic CPS usage? (I do not be told where to find these)
    4. These have TEA2 (R13.020.7869). What is the latest firmware?
    5. Can these be flashed with clear only -firmware?
    6. Is the audio accessory flap an integral part of the housing, or is it available separately?
    7. On two radios the shroud around the audio connectior is broken. Is it a part of the housing or a separate part?

Best regards, Martin
    ps, please note, that I do ask for what the latest version for software is, NOT where it can be acquired.

Thanks

Oh wow.
    I found some answers.
    5) yes;
    4) R13.000.8661
    7) the broken part is a the jack on the main PCB. I'll have to source these (I do not have a DSM). The cowl needs to be changed as well.

But then. As always, I fiddle with all menus and test what they do. Guess what?
    DO NOT USE THE "ERASE MEMORY" -TOOL.
    Radio restore might work, right? I take care to read all radios when I get my hands on them, and store the codeplugs securely.

But where could I find a serial cable? I hacked the charger pod and used a cheap FTDI TTL-converter. Got me up and running at least.

But, just try to acquire the TEA2-firmware 7869.. Not gonna happen.
    I will not go into more details (most of you might just guess what happened next) of how, but restore did not work with R13.000.7869 as assigned release. (MemoryMapError or similar).
    So, I pushed R13.000.7869 in by force.
    The codeplug writing failed. Then I disconnected the serial cable and tried USB. CPS automatically recovered radio. After a firmware upgrade and applied profile, all seems to work nice and well.

And in the end, all previous messages were there. Interesting..

Well, there will probably be more to follow. I do recognize that this will be going towards the thin red line - but I hope someone might find this information useful.

Thanks

I'll have to correct myself.
    3) yes, success using SKN6311B
    7) the broken part is on the keypad board.

I manage to send certain status messages to certain recipients, but where can I configure the terminal to receive a certain status as callout -alert?
    a) Call-out?
    b) Disaster alert?
    c) Assistance call?

This is a feature present in both Sepura and Airbus terminals, I suppose it should be possible to do it with M as well.
    Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

I will continue my monologue.
    The MTP850S did arrive, and it is as wonderful as one might expect.
    I also made an order for a few bits and pieces to recase a couple MTP850.

Now, I'm a bit frustrated to get unit alert configured. I have yet to find where to do it in the CPS.
    If it's related to Call-Out, I'm out of luck.
    The required fields appear only in CP versions 7909 (MTP850S) and 7819 (MTP850).
    Alas, the latest firmware I've been able to source is FW8723 from MR14, which gives me CP 7715.
    Motorola tetra software release matrix from Jan16 states that MR14a (aug-15, what year?) has FW8725 giving CP7725 - not enough to enable the desired fields.

It feels very odd, that I would need a firmware (MR15?) from 2016-ish to enable a feature that Nokia had from the beginning on THR880 (about 15 years ago).

Oh, and on a sidenote; I'm not contemplating to use these in any TMO environment, other than one private that's up at some ham-events. Otherwise DMO only.

Once again, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Oh wow. This got out of hands. Not the topic, but me on eBay.
    Got myself two MTP850S (nice and clean) with MUC (3 radio cups, 3 battery cups), two RSMs and two 2-wire surveillance sets. Genuine motorola items too!
    I was wondering, does the itm-cup fit this MUC, and can it's USB-connection be used in conjunction with the CPS?
    Oppermann-telekom has these (NNTN6848 ITM) cheaper than the basic cup (NNTN6845/B).

I'm still waiting for parts from the only M representative in Finland. They no spares in stock, everything comes from Germany - so it takes 2-3 weeks. What a PITA.
    The prices are however reasonable, close to oppermann and they are located just a few km from where I work.

I haven't been able to test call-out, but I suspect it does not work in DMO.

Also, still looking for verification for the latest fw available

Thanks

Hi,

MR15 software does support MTP850Ex, MTP810Ex, MTP850 3L, MTP850FuG, MTP830FuG but I guess MR5.14.10f is the latest release available for MTP850/S.

Call-out is a TMO feature:
    The Call Out system enables dispatchers to quickly and efficiently organise resources in an emergency situation, as they
    can immediately identify who is where and send a message to personnel in the right area. In turn, those personnel have
    to respond by either accepting or declining. That way the dispatcher knows who is available and can swiftly assemble a
    group to progress to an incident. In order to achieve this Call Out uses SDS messages in such a way so:
    • The message is immediately displayed on the screen of the terminal
    • A loud and distinctive alert tone is generated
    • The user has to Accept or Reject the Call Out so the control room knows who is available for deployment
    • When Call Out is accepted the terminal cannot change to another talkgroup unless they reject the Call Out

Call Out Pre-Requesites:
    • Any TETRA network with a short Data Router
    • QA01089AA- ENABLE CALL OUT FEATURE, a license is required for each Radio you wish to have Call Out enabled on
    • An application is required to generate Call Out messages

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bup For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Jan 29, 2018)

Thanks

bup, thanks.
    It confirms what I suspected.

It would also explain why M hasn't been able to get a market share here.

Now I've started lurking for a MTM5400 to setup as a ham-dmo-repeater that would be ip-linked. Better not tell my wife about it.

Thanks

MTP850S is version with improved RX sensitivity (but RX sensitivity specs are the same for both models!), increased RF power output (1.8W vs 1W), new IP rating, new accessory connector and man down sensor built-in. So, it's minor tuning of MTP850 radio.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

bup (Feb 03, 2018)

Thanks

Right-O.
    I've a friend who bought three MTP850s that are with host 13.000.5620 - very old MR5.5(?).
    CPS plus 6.2 or any newer consider the radio corrupted.
    The radio will need to be intermediately bumped a few times, but could someone shed some light as to what CPS and fw combination to start with, and gradually work up to MR5.14.10f?

Best regards,
    Martin

Thanks

If TETRA SW matrix info is correct, this is 11 years old FW related to MR5.5 CPS R6C.403.01. Try any CPS from MR5.5-MR5.12U range. And stay away of CPS Plus.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Mar 16, 2018)

Thanks

Use Legacy CPS to upgrade radio up to MR5.9 (at least) and then you could use CPS+ (with MR5.9 rpk installed) to upgrade radio to more recent FW if required.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bup For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Mar 16, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the help!
    It wasn't as easy as I thought.
    I tried Windows XP in virtualbox VM, no luck. I tried it on another computer with a real serial port, no luck.
    A native win7 with CPS MR5.12U did the trick.
    After that I used my proven method of a win7 VM and usb passthrough.

Cheers!

Thanks

Actually It's easy, just keep in mind that those radios come from '05. And when you deal with 10-years old radios, you must have native XP 32 bit as well as native Win 7 32 bit (x64 is not officially supported OS by most of TETRA apps). Otherwise, you are at risk to kill radio and come across some serious issues like flash corruption. it will force to you obtain RS-232 flash cable for $250-350 and bootloader file (Motorola Germany service center property - not for end users nor dealers).

Also remain that TETRA terminals are not tunable - there is no way to re-align them by using generic service monitor unlike DMR/NXDN/Astro25 radios. It is very important thing to understand.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Apr 30, 2018)

Thanks

Any problem with flash (e.g. USB comm fail after ERASE command) will force you to re-flash radio. It's very easy to come across if you're using VM, USB capturing between real HW and VM, if you're run out of system resources (like CPU or memory). To restore TETRA terminal in full you must have:

1. Serial FLASH cable (not cheap serial data cable)
    2. Release Packet (container with firmware files) matching to your radios
    3. Backup codeplugs before flash fail or radio disable
    4. Bootloader file - this is the most difficult part

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Apr 30, 2018)

Thanks

Actually, I've been able to program a GM950 with a Win98 vm on a W10 host :-)
    But that was with an expresscard -adapter

Still, you're input did prove valuable (a month ago, sorry I didn't thank you on the spot)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Shuttle For This Useful Post:

MotFAN (Apr 30, 2018)