Thread: RTL2832U & DSD+FL Discussion

Thanks
    Thanked 5,068 Times in 1,510 Posts

RTL2832U & DSD+FL Discussion

[Split from ADCR25 discussion]

I have to be honest. The ADCR25 boards are totally welfare compared to what DSD+ Fast Lane software can do, with two $30 RTL2832U SDR dongles.

DSD+ Fast Lane (with dongles) can cover the following systems:

- P25 Phase I (conventional and trunked)
    - Does Motorola TDMA X2 (proprietary) P25;
    - DMR Tier I, II, III (Cap+, Linked Cap+, Connect+, Capacity Max, IP Site Connect, etc.)
    - NXDN4800/NXDN9600/IDAS (and NEXEDGE trunking systems)
    - D-STAR (voice and all embedded data decoded/displayed)
    - Yaesu System Fusion
    - ProVoice
    - P25 Phase II is coming soon.

To be clear, with TWO dongles, you can use DSD+FL to TRUNK systems. I uses one SDR to monitor the CC, and the other tracks voice channels.

- It logs all voice comms in separate, time-stamped/ID'd files;
    - It logs all data;
    - It logs/displays all text messages;
    - It logs/displays GPS data;
    - It shows encryption algorithms + Key IDs;
    - It indicates if RAS is in use (and you can listen to RAS systems);
    - You can specify beep alerts for clear/secure/all/none comms;
    - You can automatically mute encrypted comms;
    - You can route output to any audio device, including a TCP port (with Virtual Audio Cable);
    - It also has AGC for audio output (can set it on/off if desired), which really solves many audio-amplitude headaches.

DSD+FL is by far, the most powerful digital-systems communications monitoring software there is. It's very stable, and very configurable. Development is ongoing. The guy who writes it actually answers support emails and handles bug reports.

You may email him at NOSPAMdsdplusfastlaneATgmailDOTcomNOSPAM. If you send a PayPal donation to the same email account (make sure you email him advising of the donation), you'll be added to the software distribution list.

I still own my ADCR25 boards, but they're kind of ghetto these days. I haven't used them in about a year.
    Last edited by Mars; 01-07-2018 at 08:26 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

bsdam (01-07-2018),com501 (01-07-2018),Gtaman (01-07-2018),mobios (01-07-2018),Mototom (01-10-2018)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I have to be honest. The ADCR25 boards are totally welfare compared to what DSD+ Fast Lane software can do, with two $30 RTL2832U SDR dongles.
    I completely agree, I just donated today to get on the Fast Lane while awaiting delivery of two RTL2832U dongles. I hadn't looked at DSD+ features in quite a while and I was shocked to see what had been added to the Fast Lane distribution.

I haven't touched my ADCR25 boards in quite a while either, DSD+FL will fill this void nicely.

Thanks

ADCR25 A Stand Alone P25/DMR/Fusion/NXDN Receiver

I have to be honest. The ADCR25 boards are totally welfare compared to what DSD+ Fast Lane software can do, with two $30 RTL2832U SDR dongles...
    Thanks for the tip on that. I have been looking for a winter project, or two, and this could be one of them.

Thanks

RTL2832U & DSD+FL Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on that. I have been looking for a winter project, or two, and this could be one of them.
    I'm using these: https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR...words=RTL2832U

You may wish to shop for "extras" such as SMA RF adapters, antennas, etc. You can use a cable TV splitter with RG-6 and F-connectors if you want. It's ghetto, but it'll work just fine for strong trunking/conventional repeaters.

When and if the time comes you guys have your hardware acquired and need some support, we'll start a new thread. I'm quite familiar with all of the setup, etc. There's a lot to process when you first get into DSD+FL. It's all command-line based.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

bsdam (01-08-2018),com501 (01-07-2018),Gtaman (01-07-2018),mss-dave (01-07-2018)

com501 is offline TĻ ∆S ō - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 628 Posts
    That receiver is the one I had already picked out and put in my wish list. Any thoughts on setting up two of them in an enclosure? (Maybe it's already time to start that thread?)
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    That receiver is the one I had already picked out and put in my wish list. Any thoughts on setting up two of them in an enclosure? (Maybe it's already time to start that thread?)
    You don't want to put them in an enclosure. The should be well-ventilated. They do warm up pretty damn good, when they're supplied the proper current. (That's why I use an externally-powered hub).

Splitting discussion off now. Give me a few mins.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

bsdam (01-08-2018),com501 (01-07-2018),mobios (01-07-2018)

Thanks
    I loved my RTL's when they worked, but now all I get is an error. For some reason it keeps saying that the stick isn't supported in USB 3.0 slots and must be inserted into a 2.0 slot. Funny thing is that it is in a 2.0 slot. I tried rolling back the USB drivers with no such luck and went over to the RTL-SDR forums where a usb modification tool was suggested, but didn't work. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution? This is with the older gen plastic housing and the newer metal housing RTL's. I'm running windows 8.1 and 10 on 2 computers.
    I'm here to learn!

Thanks
    What are people's thoughts on using DSD+FL alone vs. using UniTrunker for control channel decoding followed by DSD+FL for voice decoding & Trunking Recorder for logging?

I currently have few machines that use the UniTrunker -> VAC -> DSD+FL -> VAC -> TR pipeline and for the most part I'm happy with it. My only frustration is the high CPU usage resulting in poor audio when running multiple copies of DSD+FL with Trunking Recorder simultaneously encoding all of those streams to MP3. While most of these machines are currently limited by CPU power to two simultaneous voice channels - currently using Core2Duo machines at 2.6 GHz - in theory I can cover a control channel, and 4-5 voice channels of a trunking site with a single dongle if the computer has enough horsepower.

Just wondering if I'm better off some other way. Didn't realize you could trunktrack with DSD+ alone until now (unless I'm misunderstanding this all).

Also Mars, I noticed in another thread you were using a set of Celwave multicouplers to feed your small forest of SDR sticks. Not sure if you've used them on 700 MHz, but I'm curious as to what the performance is like on 700 MHz when using 800 MHz MCs? If the loss isn't too bad, I'd consider picking up and handful myself.

Thanks
    No issues with those things on 700 MHz. I even use them for VHF, no problems. I know that is not their intended application, but I have zero issues.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

lubindent (01-09-2018)

Thanks
    I have the hardware and software for sometime now but never figured out how to set it up. I see DSD is logging some TG and RID but I'm not decoding anything. I saw the how to once but can find it in the readme's. I will look through it again tonight. I think you have to set up one file with the LCN's and frequencies.

I know that DSD+ FL will not do P25 phase II just yet but I think it can still log, correct?

Thanks
    Yes, DSD+ while unable currently to decode Phase II voice calls, it will still display P2 voice channel grants.

Thanks
    I finally got time to setup DSD+ FL with two RTL2832U's. After some configuration, It's working awesome monitoring the state P25 system.

Going to order a pile more of these for other systems in the area, this setup is fantastically flexible.

Mars, You're completely correct, this setup blows the ADCR25 out of the water.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bsdam For This Useful Post:

com501 (01-14-2018),Mars (01-14-2018)

Thanks
    Also very handy is the FMP24 application. I was getting hounded by several fire departments in my area to see if I would provide an online stream for our county tac channels (which are analog). Instead of tying up a radio or scanner I simply grabbed another dongle and had some back and forth with the author about adding a squelch setting to FMP. Bingo, had a working version to try out a few days later and it works great. Scans a couple channels and fires the audio out via VAC to ScannerCast.

Does anyone happen to have a VHF ADCR board? If you want to get rid of it I'd be interested if the price is right.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Forts For This Useful Post:

Mars (01-16-2018)

Thanks
    Ok so in this version of fast lane (2.17) do I need to use the virtual audio cable or can I use the TCP link.

I have FMP.bat receiving my control channel, it opens and I see the spectrum tuned to my control channel.

my FMP bat looks like this;

FMP -i1 -o31051 -P66.0 -g48 -f856.1125

So that file is supposed to output to what input file CC-bat? It look like this;

DSDPlus -rc -i31051 -v3 -wsl400.2 -wss100.200 -wel0.1 -wcl0.445 -wes400.520 >>CC.log

But I get no activity, am I configured correct?

Thanks
    It does not work on a 3600 system. I told you this at least six months ago.

Why are you using a correction factor of 66? Thatís fucked. Normally itís 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 at the most.

3600 trunking is not P25 trunking. Itís APCO-16 trunking.

Disclosure: I know above poster.

Thanks
    I have two low budget DVB T dongles one is corrected 66 the other 56. I have one of the N3 units and it's zero.

Thanks

Why are you using a correction factor of 66? Thatís fucked. Normally itís 0.5, 1.0 or 2.0 at the most.
    Definitely depends on the quality of the dongle. I've got some cheap ones from overseas ($8) that need a correction of between 60 and 100 PPM, depending on the dongle and frequency being used on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	11409

On the other hand, I have some of the comparatively more expensive silver ones from RTL-SDR.com as well as the black "Smart SDR" from NooElec and they are all usually bang-on frequency and stable out of the box without needing much if any correction at all.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to lubindent For This Useful Post:

Mars (Yesterday)

Thanks
    All the more reason for people in this hobby not to buy garbage, a.k.a. cheap Chinese shit.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

triptolemus (Yesterday)

triptolemus is offline TĻ ∆S ō - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 454 Posts
    All the more reason for people in this hobby not to buy garbage, a.k.a. cheap Chinese shit.
    Yeah, agreed. Those RTL-SDR R820T units are pretty good and very cheap though. I don't know where they are manufactured.

All 4 of mine are at 0 correction and have been for about a year or so now. They just sit there and do their thing.

A correction factor of 66 seems outlandish.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

com501 (Yesterday),Mars (Yesterday)

Thanks
    My very first dongle requires a correction of about 50 as well, and drifts all over the place. Needless to say I'm not even sure where it is now...think it's in a junk drawer somewhere. I'm a fan of the RTL-SDR dongles, they seem to work great. The ThumbNet ones look interesting too.