Thread: CPS for different regions?

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Default CPS for different regions?

Does the Astro 25 series radio have different CPS for different regions or will one package program then all? IE a Motorola Canada XTS can be programmed with the same software as one for the US?
    I essentially just want to know if I can program this specific radio with my regular CPS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTOROLA-XTS...-/200832189886
    Last edited by jlamanske; Oct 26, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

There are NO regions for Astro25 radios to my knowledge. You will be fine buying that radio.

On a side note, what do you think of the price? The radio is 2 years old and the flash seems decent.

Thanks

Not to get picky but those technically can't be used for public safety in the USA because the label doesn't have the FCC type acceptance on them. :-(

I'd personally say who cares but you never know what picky person you might run across.

Jason

I suppose you'd really never know unless you took the battery off and had an inspector look at it. For most everyday usage, as the model itself is type accepted, I doubt anyone would be the wiser. I suppose one could always make themselves a counterfeit label for a legitimate radio. LOL.

Thanks

The specs for Canada tend to be tighter than USA. As said unless some one was specifically looking for the FCC label (never happened in my experiance) then you should be good to go.

The ASTRO, ASTRO25 and APX series of raduios do not have regions. MotoTRBO, Waris, Entry level, Commercial Series, Mag one and DTR have regions.

So is there any benefit in updating my CPS? I've been using the CPfix program and CPS 12.0.0 to program a radio with a firmware version of 12.00.xx but programmed with a newer CPS. Is there any danger in writing a codeplug in CPS 12 with a radio that has a firnware version of 14.xx.xx or higher?

Thanks

There's no "danger" per se, you can use CPS R17 with R12 firmware, or CPS R12 with the latest firmware, or any combination thereof. There have been some issues reported by people using the latest CPS (R17.01.02) with older firmware (or was that the other way around?) relating to read/write times (and I know I've said this before) but generally speaking you're better off using the CPS version that matches your firmware version; that way you know the firmware will support all the features in the CPS and vice versa.

That being said, it's up to the individual whether you want the latest and greatest firmware. A newer version of DSP is probably preferable but apart from that it would depend on whether you require a newer feature that has only been recently released, such as "G507/Q507 - 12.5 kHz FCC Mandate", or "W391/H345 - P25 Radio Authentication", or "Q445 - Fireground Accountability" which were all added in firmware later than R12?
    Last edited by Bigfella237; Oct 29, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
    Andrew

Thanks

I completely agree with Andrew, if you don't need the features then don't mess with a newer CPS than your firmware. Besides older firmware + newer CPS does not necessarily = all the new features. On a side note, it always is confusing when Motorola releases the CPS and firmware at different times (I know some other members don't like this either). Also, any R17 problems I have seen were on USB not serial and not with the firmware but with the CPS and that was the first R17.xx.xx CPS. I personally am still a little weary of the 17 CPS.

-Rich

syntrx No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    The ASTRO, ASTRO25 and APX series of raduios do not have regions. MotoTRBO, Waris, Entry level, Commercial Series, Mag one and DTR have regions.
    Actually, the APX does.

The Regional Governance (read only) field has options for FCC, ACMA, ETSI or RTTE depending on where the radio is intended to be used. There's only one version of the CPS though.

Thanks

I wouldn't compare the Regional Governance in the APX Family with the regions as they apply to say MotoTRBO?

Regional Governance only covers compliance "with the regulations and standards of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) / Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA), the Radio and Telecommunications Terminal Equipment Directive (RTTE) / European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), or the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)." according to CPS help

It's there mainly to ensure that the 12.5 kHz FCC Mandate is enforced and things like that, it's worth noting also that if ACMA (Australia) is selected the radio will not allow the use of AES even if the algo is present.
    Andrew

syntrx No Longer Registered

I would if type acceptance is a issue for you.

There's much more to it than that, it affects the radio's compliance with AS4295, which is tighter than Part 90 in many respects.