Thread: MTM5000-series (MTM5400) programming and upgrade

Thanks

Default MTM5000-series (MTM5400) programming and upgrade

This got out of hand, badly.
    I bought a MTM5400 on the usual fleamarket.
    Also ordered the 26pin accy-connector.
    However, is the only option for programming and fw upgrades to use the mic-connector?
    Or is it possible to
    a) upgrade fw
    b) program radio (ie. codeplug)
    via the rear connector? if so, how should a homebrew cable be made?
    Is there a schematic available for:
    - PMKN4110 (usb to rear)
    - PMKN4105 (rs232 to rear)

Both seem to need some sort of jumpering of gpio-pins and the rs232 might need a levelshifter?

Best regards,
    Martin

Thanks

There are no official schematics for Motorola TETRA cables - Motorola isn't so dummy. They show us virtually everything in cable manual, but level shifter with all passive components shown as "black box". So you must just buy cable or develop particular schematics by yourself. I successfully did it once for MTP700 by using standard cellphone cable with MAX232 and radio SM with connector pinout. Of course, Motorola TETRA Terminals commonly use TTL levels.

Also keep in mind, that many Motorola TETRA terminals require some keypress procedure to be put in programming mode. At least, all portables I’ve had. Can’t recall my experience with mobiles, sorry (it was a few years ago).

And what the problem with front mic connector and appropriate cable? MTM5400 uses the same cable as most of Motorola Astro25 and TRBO radios, HKN6184. They are easily obtainable off eBay for $50 or something (genuine ones). It will do regular programming as well as normal firmware upgrade. There are only one reasons to use serial connections – data applications and radio recovery.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Feb 04, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks.
    Back when programming a TRBO mobile, it was more affordable to make a rear programming cable than to purchase the HKN6184.
    There is USB available on the rear on the tetra, so it might be possible to use that as well. But most probably it won't be possible to upgrade FW from the rear connector.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Thanks.
    Back when programming a TRBO mobile, it was more affordable to make a rear programming cable than to purchase the HKN6184.
    There is USB available on the rear on the tetra, so it might be possible to use that as well. But most probably it won't be possible to upgrade FW from the rear connector.
    I totally understand your concept. But these radios relatively rare and not cheap. At European eBay sites they are usually appear for $800-1100 each. I do not recommend you to play with 'fire' in the desire to save $30 or something (your time and components costs something also).
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. Especially whose who also love PL-259 connectors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

Shuttle (Feb 06, 2018)