Thread: bricked XTL-5000?

Thanks

Default bricked XTL-5000?

I have a XTL-5000 that I’m unable to communicate with via the cps. It’s been read once and it worked fine but now I get this error. I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas how this can be fixed. Sending it back to moto would likely cost more then the radio does.

30D9773A-B1A8-46F4-A9D9-4736144D8400.jpg
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,907 Times in 1,462 Posts

If you can still put the radio in to FlashZap mode, you should be able to communicate with it. You do that by holding the Orange button and the PF2 button when powering on. I may be wrong on the key combo. But its orange +one of the other keys.

Thanks

This is on a W9 Head , the orange button is the emergency button? And the pf2 button is where? Thanks for responding back to me.i was using a serial cable and have tried 3 different computers.i also remember the first time I turned it on I got a fail 01/90,but it only showed up once .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 573 Posts

FYI, "Fail 01/90" on a W9 just means no comms between the head and the brick. It could be one of a dozen or so things - bad cable, blown fuse/no power to brick, bricked brick, etc. Kind of like the CPS error message you're getting, no comms to radio via serial or USB - again, could be LOTS of things causing it.

If possible, you need to isolate the problem down to the radio, the head, the cable, etc. by substitution. Or, send the head, cable (if possible) and brick to someone for repairs, and let them swap and isolate. That's the first step, figuring out what part is dead. If your head displays "Fail 01/90" it is PROBABLY (not definitely) OK, so the problem is most likely in the radio brick.

Thanks

Can you try to read another radio with the same sw and cable. I remember getting that warning after I installed 2 versions of the same sw. Had to uninstall both and then reinstall one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wildbillx View Post
    Can you try to read another radio with the same sw and cable. I remember getting that warning after I installed 2 versions of the same sw. Had to uninstall both and then reinstall one.
    I took a look at the radio this morning, remotely. 100% dead. Doesnt even have a boot loader.

He related his friend had attempted to align the radio, and when he got it back it no longer worked.

Oops.

Thanks

I cant see the tuner wiping the boot loader. maybe something else did? or its a component failure.

Thanks

Is this a duplicate of this thread? https://communications.support/threa...0039e%E2%80%9D
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

I was told to repost here looking for someone who would look at it. Mars feels its most likely not fixable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

For anyone who wishes to look at it: The radio has no bootloader, or something (hardware damage) is causing it not to boot. The radio is 100% brain dead, unfortunately.

Since Motorola decided to go with this wonderful single-board design, there's no easy way of troubleshooting the modular sections of the circuit, such as one could with the ASTRO Spectra.

Thanks

Check the crystal oscillator for the MCU, common failure in Saber radios.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

The XTL radios are real bad for generating the 01/90 error. So far nothing reliable has been found to fix radios with this trouble (maybe worth resurrecting a thread on this issue).

Anyway I was thinking that perhaps this issue is related. In the 01/90 trouble the unit will not complete the communications packets to the processor after bootload. In this one its not seeing the bootloader. I wonder if the unit is stuck thinking its already bootloaded? That might explain why it cant see a bootloader at all. Both issues seem to be bootloader related.

W1RRL: does the radio function in any way? display?, tones? anything or is it dead to all appearances?

Thanks

My XTL5000 here at my desk has the FL 01-90 error about 70% of the time I try to boot it. Some days it starts up fine, no problem. Other times it goes into FL 01-90 about 3-6 times. Then I power cycle it several times and then it boots regularly. Funny thing is, when it does fail, it passes audio if I let it sit there, and the audio is LOUD even though I always listen at about 1/4 volume.

Thanks

I’m being told that they need to go back to moto ($900) I can buy one for less then that. I was wondering if there was anyone else who could work on these radios? These is two radios I got that ended up being bricked

Thanks