Thread: Magnetic Mic with PMLN7131A HHCH

Thanks

Default Magnetic Mic with PMLN7131A HHCH

Starting a new thread from here: https://communications.support/threa...0-amp-XPR5550e

I spoke to a contact at Magnetic Mic who indicated that they NOT specifically done any tests with the PMLN7131A XPR HHCH speaker mic. Note: this is a "speaker mic" and not just a "keypad mic". The PMLN7131A RSM has a built-in speaker and I have concerns that the magnet on the Magnetic Mic product may negatively affect it.

Has anyone here used a Magnetic Mic hang-up clip product with the PMLN7131A HHCH?

Thanks

Good idea separating this, I replied to your other thread before I saw this. The magnet seems very well focused onto the matching hang up button, but I agree there could still be some interference. I can send you a magnetic mic if you want to try it out.

Thanks

I have this setup and it's rock solid. No issues at all. I'll post pics if you'd like.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vocoder For This Useful Post:

box (Mar 11, 2018),Navy_BOFH (Mar 11, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vocoder View Post
    I have this setup and it's rock solid. No issues at all. I'll post pics if you'd like.
    Sure. That would be great. So no audio distortion at all when the mic is on the magnet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sjxts3000 View Post
    So no audio distortion at all when the mic is on the magnet?
    No. None at all, even at high volume.

IMG_4542.jpg IMG_4539.jpg IMG_4536.jpg IMG_4533.jpg

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vocoder For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (Mar 12, 2018),Mackinaw (Apr 17, 2018),motorola_otaku (Mar 13, 2018),Navy_BOFH (Mar 12, 2018),phonebuff (Mar 12, 2018),sjxts3000 (Mar 12, 2018)

Thanks

Perfect! I'm ordering up a couple... one for the HHCH and one for my APX6500 keypad mic

Thanks

I think you'll like them. The magnet is strong enough to just kinda aim the mic towards it and it will catch... and some acetone will take the bright yellow wording off the side of the mount. :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vocoder View Post
    and some acetone will take the bright yellow wording off the side of the mount. :-)
    Thanks for that tip. At $34.95/ea on their web site, I'm in no mood for giving them any free advertisement. They should offer a $5 discount if you want the ones with the wording on it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sjxts3000 For This Useful Post:

box (Mar 13, 2018)

Thanks

OK, I finally got the magnetic mic adapters in. I installed one for the XPR5550e HHCH and confirmed no distortion. While these adapters are easy to install (minutes) if you already have a hang-up clip you're replacing, I can say this.... they are definitely NOT worth $34.95 each. I honestly think this is a $20 product at most.

Here's in *initial* impression on this product:

Pros:
    - easy to install (minutes)
    - strong magnet
    - lines up with existing drilled holes, but be careful you don't strip anything!...I was extra careful when installing).

Cons:
    - metal mount (which gets installed on mic) never centers itself on the magnet. It's always a bit off center and you lose some of the magnetic pull.
    - removing the mic requires you to kind of tile the mic onto an edge, and then it becomes a little hard to pull the mic off the edge.

I'll drive the truck around and see how this product fares. I have two installed... for both an XPR HHCH and an APX keypad

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sjxts3000 For This Useful Post:

box (Mar 20, 2018)

Thanks

OK, I've been using the Magnetic Mic for a couple days now and have some more feedback to report.
    With a standard palm mic or the HMN4079 keypad mic, it's pretty each to "grab" the mic off the magnet. It does take a bit of force, but not a lot of "prying" off the magnet.
    However, with the PMLN7131A XPR HHCH, it's a bit quirky.
    The best way to remove the mic from the magnet is to try to center the magnet in the middle of your palm/hand. This is each on the standard or HMN4079 keypad mics, but on the XPR HHCH, you're more likely to grasp the mic lower down on the keypad area. This put the magnet off center from your palm/hand and requires you to "pry" the mic off the magnet. If you try to center the magnet in your hand/palm, you easily risk pressing the PTT or other side buttons on the HHCH.
    I realize the importance of the strength of the magnet...and perhaps the HHCH could benefit better from a more "centered" mic hang-up button on the back. Its something one can "live with" as it's still better than the factory hang-up clip "tightness", but still somewhat annoying that these magnet mic mounts are not "100%".

And I still hold to my claim that these magnet mic mounts are definitely not a $34.95 product. It's simply overpriced for what you get.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I have a couple on the way to deal with the same problem on my O3 heads. Sounds like they should be a big improvement even if not perfect.

Thanks

I use one daily on my HHCH for my XTVA ... better than the mic clip never had an issue.. and in the big picture $35 is not that bad..