Thread: Are all Astro Spectra control heads interchangeable?

dynoman No Longer Registered

Default Are all Astro Spectra control heads interchangeable?

Are all Astro Spectra control heads interchangeable? I have a W7 head with the remote kit. But I would like to get the W9 "Rear" head (I like the display layout better). Is it as simple as just swapping the heads?

Thanks

The quick answer, no they are not. First you shouldn't use rear heads as the main heads or vice versa. There actually is a difference in the control chip on them (not the firmware chip). Also the radio supports only teh control head it was designed for. In order to get around this you would have to force a new s-record into the radio that supports the control head type you want.

Jason

Thanks

On the W4,W5 and W7 there is a HW address /jumper that is changed for the rear as well as the on-off function being bypassed / removed.
    On the Spectra the W9 was just a programming difference that you could set in the RSS...on the Astro Spectra W9 there is a bit set someplace at the factory but no way to convert between front rear heads in the field that I ever found.

MOTOROLANUT No Longer Registered

Not to hijack the mans thread, but is it possible to convert an AS remote W9 to a remote W7 head?
    Or does this require a S-record change too?
    I was considering this due to space mounting considerations in a vehicle.

Thanks

can you re-state what you are converting from and what you want to end up with?

Thanks

Changing control head types trequires very special skills to modify the s-record or you need to push a whole new s-record into for a radio that supports the control head you want to use.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
    Not to hijack the mans thread, but is it possible to convert an AS remote W9 to a remote W7 head?
    Or does this require a S-record change too?
    I was considering this due to space mounting considerations in a vehicle.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Jason is correct, plus you need to copy down and re-enter all the tuning values or re-tune the radio completely after said procedure...

MOTOROLANUT No Longer Registered

W9 to a W7.

10-4 Thanks everybody for the clarification on the S record and tuning info.