Thread: Unication P25 Phase II with AES available on 3/30/18

Thanks

Default Unication P25 Phase II with AES available on 3/30/18

We are picking up our first P2 order (in person) on Friday morning from Unication. FYI, all G4 and G5 pagers have AES encryption built in. Programming does require a different piece of software, that is free, and is only given to system owners. We are having a programming party in Houston on Friday afternoon if anyone wants to stop by. Free help will be given to anyone regarding programming.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,433 Times in 513 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cmdcomm View Post
    FYI, all G4 and G5 pagers have AES encryption built in. Programming does require a different piece of software, that is free, and is only given to system owners.
    Is this true? I thought the AES key was entered into the regular Unication software. Yet another bizarre draconian software policy which makes no sense. What is anyone going to do with the KL software when they don't have the keys? Are they trying to protect the agencies? If an agency's keys are compromised to the point that pager KL software being freely available represents a problem, then that agency is already f\cked.

God damn... mention encryption and people lose their shit in all sorts of directions.

Maybe Unication couldn't figure out how to prevent reading keys back from the pager. Seems like this problem has been solved by others for some time. If Unication's solution is to restrict the key software as a security measure, then a system admin may need to wonder if their keys are as secure within the pager as they need to be.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Mar 28, 2018),box (Mar 28, 2018),com501 (Mar 27, 2018),k1ngfish (Mar 28, 2018),Mars (Mar 27, 2018),MTS2000DES (Mar 30, 2018),SwissMoto (Apr 04, 2018)

Thanks

We have confirmed you can not read the key, nor can you “clone” by reading a pager and then program another pager. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. We do have a customer on the Broken Arrow OK P25 system that are dispatching using P25 2tone and using AES.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cmdcomm For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Mar 28, 2018)

Thanks

I wonder if they are compatible with both Key Variable Loader as well as Key Management Facility. Because it is a receiver only, they can't have OTAR as that requires interrogation and response. To work with a KVL, there must be a physical wire connection to the keyloader, though there may be some IR capabilities on new key loaders.

Either way, the fact they have 3rd party software involved opens a lot of questions for the system operator, and custodian of the key. Does this software store the variable in memory before passing it to the pager? Is that a vulnerability?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

triptolemus (Mar 29, 2018)

Thanks

the key is hand typed in and right now only supports a single key. No KVL support.

Thanks

Can you send me a quote for a unit? I was trying to become a dealer for them, but they are obviously not interested in taking on anyone new since they never replied to me after multiple attempts. I would be interested in demoing a unit on our new phase 2 system if the price is right, even if they don't want me selling them.

Thanks

Their dealer program is a joke. Around here you have shops who could sell tons that apply and they ignore and they sign up a tow truck supply store instead or some vollie FF selling them out of his house with no real business?!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to radioinstl For This Useful Post:

box (Apr 03, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by radioinstl View Post
    Their dealer program is a joke. Around here you have shops who could sell tons that apply and they ignore and they sign up a tow truck supply store instead or some vollie FF selling them out of his house with no real business?!
    Agree, but at least reply and so you're not interested. Rude to just say nothing. I swore I would never buy one after that, and I'm still not sure I will or not.

Thanks

I just got to program one with AES on a P25 II trunking system, It worked very well!

Thanks

Firebuff66 what program are you using for the AES key loading? Can you post the link as I have email Unication with no response and really want to try out my key in my new Unication pager. All so PM box is full.

Thanks

Check Your PM

Thanks

If you cant share something by posting then you cant share it via PM. Either share it with everyone or share it completely outside of this site. Our rules apply to posts and PMs. Thank you.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

box (Apr 17, 2018),k1ngfish (Apr 18, 2018),Pezking (Apr 17, 2018),triptolemus (Apr 17, 2018),Viper1-6 (Apr 17, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    If you can’t share something by posting then you can’t share it via PM. Either share it with everyone or share it completely outside of this site. Our rules apply to posts and PMs. Thank you.
    That's retardreference stuff right there.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pezking For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Apr 20, 2018)

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pxsa4gryuh...50828.zip?dl=0

Login 1:
    user

Login 2:
    admin

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerryschmose For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (Jul 10, 2018),Mars (Apr 20, 2018),motorola_otaku (Apr 23, 2018)