Thread: MOTOTRBO getting AES128 in 2013!

syntrx No Longer Registered

Default MOTOTRBO getting AES128 in 2013!

http://www.eb-solutions.org.uk/stori...field-contract

Or at least this nuke plant in England is getting it on their system. With a mere 30 portables, this is a tiny system, which kind of explains why they didn't go P25 or TETRA.

RC4 is good enough to keep the scanner retards out, but AES128 is going to be a whole lot better.

"Pennine Telecom has won a new contract to supply a pioneering digital encrypted trunked radio solution at Sellafield in Cumbria.
    The order is the first in the UK for a Motorola Mototrbo Trunked Linked Capacity Plus system using the latest generation of Mototrbo portable two-way radios. It will also see the first deployment of a Motorola digital encrypted trunk system on a civil nuclear site."

[...]

"The deal will also see Sellafield benefiting from increased 128 AES encryption set to be introduced by Motorola in 2013."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

Interesting they decided to go with AES-128 instead of AES-256.

Gotta keep the good ol' NSA in the loop!

Seriously, though they probably did this as to not compete with the high-tier P25 line, which of course supports AES-256.
    Last edited by Alpha; Oct 31, 2012 at 02:37 AM.

Thanks

Are they worried that the current Enhanced Privacy is that insecure?

Thanks

Enhanced Privacy is a implementation of RC4 just like ADP is, my guess is that there are agencies such as this that don't trust RC4. I wouldn't trust it at a nuclear plant as the algo has been proven to be vulnerable in several implementations (WEP being one).

Thanks

Yeah I suppose. If you have the resources to try and take on a power plant chances are you might have the connections to hack into stuff like that. Makes me wonder why they even bothered with the Basic Privacy option... Just go with Enhanced and AES.

Thanks

Would it be safe to assume this will require a KVL4000 to keyload?

AFAIK AES-128 keys can't be generated with a 3k+?
    Andrew

Thanks

I'm betting the key will be input into CPS or a software keyloader application.

Thanks

In reality I see no reason that any encryption module cannot be addressed by software. Using a keyloader seems like a added expense in the name of key security.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfella237
    Would it be safe to assume this will require a KVL4000 to keyload?
    It's safer to bet keys will be software only, and not fillable using a hardware KVL. And that there will no be FIPS140 evaluation etc either.

Motorola doesn't pretend RC4-40 is secure, it's there just to keep the more determined scanner heads out.

If you want real security go P25, just ask MattSR what he found on my APX7000
    Last edited by syntrx; Oct 31, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    you cant post that then leave us in the dark

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syntrx View Post
    Consider it asked, MattSR?

Thanks

Seems sort of funny that if security is such a concern, why not just use P25? Sure, it'll be more expensive but you wouldn't think a nuke plant would skimp out on it's comms budget. I wonder if any of the 'previous' generation XPR's (6500's etc) will be compatible with the AES-128 upgrade, or just the new 7550's. Likely just the new ones, I'll assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Seems sort of funny that if security is such a concern, why not just use P25? Sure, it'll be more expensive but you wouldn't think a nuke plant would skimp out on it's comms budget. I wonder if any of the 'previous' generation XPR's (6500's etc) will be compatible with the AES-128 upgrade, or just the new 7550's. Likely just the new ones, I'll assume.
    If I had to speculate I'd pick two reasons:

1. Type approval -- P25 is rarely, if at all used in the UK. Going through the process of getting all the system RF components type approved could be prohibitively expensive.

2. Cost -- The UK government is on the bones of its ***, and it's spending taxpayer's money. TRBO offers a level of capability only available in P25 for 8x-10x the money, especially for such a small deployment. The value proposition isn't there.

mtp850 No Longer Registered

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Consider it asked, MattSR?
    Any updates on this one ? Ive been a good boy

Thanks

Thanks

Not that I don't trust you bezpol, but how about some context rather than just expecting everyone to blindly click an unknown URL??
    Andrew

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtp850 View Post
    Any updates on this one ? Ive been a good boy
    Hey mate, sorry for the delay in responding - unfortunately I can't really give any more info as what I've seen is unconfirmed - it could be a red herring...

Plus it could be a neat addition to a paper some day also

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

As far as my current research into this issue is concerned there is nothing to prevent AES or any other format from being added to the TRBO signal. All that would be required is either a firmware upgrade to support the algorithm (software based would be nice) or a hardware module to be manufactured for the radio line (keyloaders etc would be needed) . I have not seen any major changes to the firmware that would indicate something like this being added to the line yet.