Thread: Legit APX7000's

Thanks

Default Legit APX7000's

There have been a large quantity of APX7000 radios for sale on the "gray market" since shortly after their release. They come mainly in three flavors.
    1. Units with no tags. There is no deception here, units may or may not have a custom serial numbers
    2. Units with small rectangular tags. Obvious deception here, these are not Motorola tags, and they probably started just like no tag radios.
    3. Legit full size tags as shown below. If the price is too good to be true, I would question the seller as to the origin.

Phone 936.jpg

Phone 876.jpg

A large quantity of these units were engineering samples and accelerated life testing units. There is nothing wrong with this but when sellers are manufacturing tags and claiming they are legit, that's just wrong. I have seen units with bad vocons and rf boards, I have seen units with developmental firmware that have had buttons permanently assigned wrong and I have seen perfectly fine units. If your unfamiliar with accelrated life testing, see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_...ated_life_test
    Last edited by Magnus; Jan 08, 2012 at 08:46 PM.

Neo No Longer Registered

Many of these grey market APX's contain development and/or engineering MACE. If the APX'S has an engineering MACE (i.e. E01.00.02) do not attempt to upgrade the firmware past R05.01.01. Any firmware after R05 will brick the radio by sending it into a MACE upgrade loop.

If the MACE is development (i.e D01.00.02), your playing Russian roulette. Seen some development MACE radios upgrade fine, others bricked. This leads me to believe there are a few development MACE engines Motorola was experimenting with during the design of the APX'S.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Also watch for bluetooth field upgrades not done correctly.

The speaker module needs to be NHN7002C.

The C revision speaker includes the bluetooth antenna hardware.

Older revision speakers do not have the antenna and your range will be severely limited.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

One way you can tell externally if the radio has the required speaker module is the factory blue dot on the label where you "kiss" the bluetooth devices together during pairing.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I wouldn't trust that as you can buy the labels from Motorola separately.

An unscrupulous seller could add the module, apply the label and sell it as Bluetooth enabled radio without upgrading the speaker.

On an older radio being upgraded, you must make sure the speaker gets changed out at the time of the upgrade if it's not a B revision.

Motorola doesn't include the label when ordering the speaker.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Lately I'm noticing a disturbing trend of APX radios being sold as "No tags, but it has a good Serial Number" and "legit sn no tags" I haven't seen any of these ads here yet but if they show up they will be deleted. The only purpose this serves is to make the un-educated buyer think they are getting something better than what it is. I've even had someone insist that most of these APX's are still under warranty because of their SN, Really???[/RANT]

XPR8300 No Longer Registered

i had a buddy get one of those "legit" sn APX radios... when he read it, it prompted him for a "legit" sn.. gotta love CBI...