Thread: M/A-COM/Harris P7100 - which Japanese company manufactured the radio?

Thanks

Default M/A-COM/Harris P7100 - which Japanese company manufactured the radio?

I have recently acquired a VHF M/A-COM P7100. I've been researching the changing ownership - GE/Ericsson/Tyco/MA-COM/Harris...maybe more.

My radio was manufactured in Japan but I was wondering which company actually manufactured the radio? My guess is Kyodo Communications and Electronics. Kyodo manufactured radios for Ericsson and sold under a number of brand names in Europe including Key, Grundig and Sawtron. Icom bought the P25 operations of Kyodo in 2012.

So does anybody know for certain which Japanese company manufactured the Harris P7100?

Thanks

I've just looked through a Harris brochure. As well as the P7100/7200 series etc, I also noticed that Harris was selling Simoco radios under their own Harris brand. Simoco used to be the old Pye/Philips LMR manufacturer based in Cambridge,England. The company still exists but all UK production was closed down and now the radios are made in Taiwan, I think. The Tetra digital side of Simoco was spun off and became Sepura which has recently been acquired by Hytera of China. Sepura manufactures encrypted LMR radios for the police and military....all of which are now controlled by China

I noticed that Tait still manufactures all their radio equipment in New Zealand.

You would think that the government would insist on all police/military radios being manufactured in the USA?

Thanks

For the 7100 series, Japan Radio Company (JRC) won the manufacturing contract.

The almost identical 7200 series was manufactured in Cork, Ireland.

Designed and prototyped in Lynchburg. Built in Asia to Lynchburg's specifications.

Other Asian manufacturers used are Kopje and Kanematsu.
    Gatorbait3014
    Retired Master Two-Way Radio Master Technician & System Engineer (34+ years)

My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatorbait3014 For This Useful Post:

Forts (Apr 17, 2018),g8tzl2004 (Apr 14, 2018),motorola_otaku (Apr 16, 2018)

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 676 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g8tzl2004 View Post

You would think that the government would insist on all police/military radios being manufactured in the USA?
    True, but Relm/BK radios are not sexy and super expensive.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

g8tzl2004 (Apr 14, 2018),motorola_otaku (Apr 16, 2018)

Thanks

OK on the P7100 radios being manufactured by JRC. I think JRC manufactured an excellent line of HF receivers and pro HF marine equipment. I think JRC also manufactured digital Tetra radios for Cleartone based in Wales,UK which was supplied to the police.

OK on the P7200 being manufactured in Cork. I wonder if they are still making radio equipment in Ireland?

Thanks

On the 7100 and other models, JRC builds the sub-assemblies. The radios are actually assembled domestically.

Cork built the Vehicular Chargers, the 7200's, some of the Jaguar mobiles and portables, and all of the Mastr4 base-stations/repeater which are TETRA, and not sold in North America.
    Gatorbait3014
    Retired Master Two-Way Radio Master Technician & System Engineer (34+ years)

My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gatorbait3014 For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Apr 21, 2018),g8tzl2004 (Apr 18, 2018),MotFAN (Apr 16, 2018)

Thanks

Newer,Harris labeled,P7200 radios say made in the USA.