Thread: PD982 feedback/discussion

Thanks
    Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,436 Posts

Default PD982 feedback/discussion

Is anyone using the PD982 in North America (PD985 in EMEA) on actual production systems? I'm specifically wondering if anyone has used it for Tier III trunking.

In Nov. 2016, I purchased the PD982. To date, it's been the worst investment I've ever made. The only reason I still own it is:

- Resale value is brutal. I paid nearly $1000 CAD, but wouldn't get more than $200 for it. Why? Because it's "unknown" junk in the North American market.

- I've been waiting for a new firmware release, hoping it will correct many bugs. So far, nothing.

I've given feedback to Hytera engineers, through a contact I made at HYT. That was in Dec/Jan 2017. They haven't bothered addressing any of what I sent. They completely ignored myself and a colleague from Australia, who was very enthusiastic about their products. We've both since grown very unimpressed with this company.

In Canada, I'm aware of a radio shop in Eastern Ontario that's rolling out a HYT Tier III trunking system. I hope they're not planning on using PD982s, because these things are horrific in terms of RX audio. They don't sound good. TX audio, however, is very decent. Better than my 7550.

The HYT CPS doesn't come with release notes, and since last summer, there's been maybe half-a-dozen releases, and no one knows what's been changed/fixed.

The HYT "partner" website hasn't been updated with firmware for the PD98x since last August. The "partner" website has firmware A08.05.06.005, posted Aug. 11 2017. Yet when I do an internet search, firmware A08.05.07.004 is available from several ham websites. WTF?

There are several audio issues with the PD982 which have gone unresolved:

- Hiss present on speaker during RX. A very abnormal amount of hiss.
    - Audio has no dynamic range whatsoever. It sounds like crap. Even with the equalizer setting enabled/tweaked, it sounds like junk.
    - Audio is quiet compared to the Motorola XPR7550.
    - No Receive Audio Leveling feature, such as what the XPR7550 offers.

Moving on to functionality:

- The FPP menu only lets you edit one field at at a time, then completely exists to the main display. Then you have to access the FPP menu again (numerous key presses) to change the next field. I complained about this to HYT, but they refuse to fix it. All it would involve is a code edit to alter the menu level, during an exit call. Instead of returning to main, return to next line. How hard is that? IDIOTS.

- The radio has no capability to do RX Only on MPT-1327 trunking systems. I asked about this and was given the "why? we don't understand". How can they not understand? I DON'T WANT TO AFFILIATE/REGISTER ON A SYSTEM. RX ONLY.

- The Enhanced Channel Access feature (on DMR conventional channel) is not compatible with Motorola repeaters. Radios still collide with each other. When I brought it up, I was asked to "please explain further". When I did, I received no response.

- The Radio Check, Radio Disable, Radio Enable commands do not work. They will not pass or function on a Motorola repeater. Same routine as above. They "don't understand".

- Setting radio so the Admit Criteria is "Color Code Free" and In-Call Criteria is "Follow Admit Criteria", results in the inability to access a repeater. This is the way I set up all Moto radios for DMR, as it's the only for Enhanced Channel Access to work correctly. Setting Admit Criteria to "Always", means you can just key up over top of other people talking, or collide with them when trying to get a channel grant. That's the whole point of Enhanced Channel Access. HYT not compatible.

I'm so tired of dealing with this lame company. I used to bash Motorola (and I still do to an extent) for some of the crap they pull. But after giving the PD982 and Hytera a chance for the last 18 months, I'm ready to say they have no idea WTF they're doing. They need to put effort into the following:

- Better communication using the English language. If you want to do business in English-speaking countries, you have to learn English.

- Engrish help-menu items in the CPS are not acceptable. Hire a translator with masters degree in English, FFS. There are people who do this for a living. When North American consumers see ENGRISH in manuals and software, we think CHEAP SHIT right away.

- Hytera needs to buy Motorola radios and repeaters, so they can test for compatibility in their lab. I know for a fact they do not do this. I've been told. If they want to push their products in North America (competing with Moto), their radios must work on Moto systems, reliably. And that includes implementing MSI's RAS into the radios, because that's one easy way to ditch HYT from accessing your system. Yes, RAS is proprietary, but as HYT is a Chinese company, intellectual property/copyright doesn't seem to matter over there. The chowderheads clone everything. Why not RAS?

There are other bugs with this radio, but I misplaced my list a while back. I look forward to hearing from others about their experiences in dealing with HYT.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Apr 20, 2018)

Thanks

I fully concur with all your observations and comments. Too bad. The options/features and build quality really impressed me. The after sales support, support communications and mechanisms still need sorted yes. Odd it only affects the high tier port!?! I'll still hang on to mine for now and keep hoping for a proper fix!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hoser For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 13, 2018)

Thanks

Hopefully once Kenwood releases tier 3 support they will fill the void between Motorola and everyone else.

I believe Kenwood can really grab market share if they can offer a tier three solution that can support a large site count.

While NXDN has superb audio, the lack of manufacturer options, that offer a higher tier radio(I Can Only Monitor radios are not something I would use) will always hold it back. It just can not compete with DMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viper1-6 For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 13, 2018),Navy_BOFH (Apr 20, 2018)

Thanks

Same boat here Mars. All the same issues. I have heard that V8.06.01.013 is being tested but as with any other release...who the heck knows what it fixes if anything. I mean hell it took them until, what? Early 2018 to fix the Chinengrish boot up battery message.

Have you ever disassembled yours? The screen on mine is crooked and it's driving me nucking futs. Wondering if they are as easy as the XTS to disassemble.
    "Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyberEMT For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 13, 2018)

Thanks

In case anyone else feels the need to take their PD982 apart:

There are 2 screws under warranty stickers under the battery, an exposed screw on the side of the body on the accessory port side, a hidden screw under the PD982 label, a screw under the rubber caps on top of the volume and channel knobs and threaded outer rings around each of the 3 posts up top...antenna, volume and channel. Wasn't terribly difficult. I did manage to get my screen adjusted just enough to be level.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsyberEMT For This Useful Post:

com501 (Apr 14, 2018),Mars (Apr 13, 2018)

Thanks

As for the Kenwood comment(s)....I also agree. I've been impressed with the NX5xxx series gear from a cost, feature and quality perspective. There are however some interesting quirks/issues with them as well. I will not bother posting a link but .com after the model series will find you a gents quite comprehensive site on the NX5000. Pros/Cons and a running 'snag' list. Very informative!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hoser For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 14, 2018),Viper1-6 (Apr 14, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoser View Post
    As for the Kenwood comment(s)....I also agree. I've been impressed with the NX5xxx series gear from a cost, feature and quality perspective. There are however some interesting quirks/issues with them as well. I will not bother posting a link but .com after the model series will find you a gents quite comprehensive site on the NX5000. Pros/Cons and a running 'snag' list. Very informative!
    Holy cow! I was considering trying one of these to replace the PD982. The "disadvantages" page scared me away pretty quickly. Broke down and snagged an XPR7550 on eBay in good condition at a good price. Now the million dollar question is do I sell the PD982 at a painful loss or let it collect dust and hope that maybe one day HYT will fix all the bugs?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsyberEMT For This Useful Post:

com501 (Apr 14, 2018),Mars (Apr 14, 2018)

com501 is offline T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 675 Posts

eBay!! Someone will buy it!!
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    eBay!! Someone will buy it!!
    Yeah, but I’m not taking a $800 loss.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

PsyberEMT (Apr 15, 2018)

Thanks

Hi,
    I just own the PD7, not the PD9, so I stay out of the functional discussions.
    The current DMR SW CPS is V8.06.01.017(NA2)date 20180402 with the subscriber upgrade kit V8.05.07.004, dated 20180103, both available on the partner site.
    I think you best option is to contact Hytera US instead the China factory, they talk and understand the English language and they can support you with the latest update.

Thanks

Current CPS is now R8.06.01.016
    Attached latest firmware release notes issued Nov. 2017.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PsyberEMT View Post
    Holy cow! I was considering trying one of these to replace the PD982. The "disadvantages" page scared me away pretty quickly. Broke down and snagged an XPR7550 on eBay in good condition at a good price. Now the million dollar question is do I sell the PD982 at a painful loss or let it collect dust and hope that maybe one day HYT will fix all the bugs?
    I wouldn't be scared to buy an NX5*** or NX3*** series at all. I can't find the site, but if its the guy who has littered radio reference with his lunacy then I can surely change your opinion. Don't get me wrong there are 1 or 2 stupid little quirks that seemed to slip by Kenwoods QC, but I made sure to notify the proper people to get it fixed.

These radios are phenomenal and great tool/toy. Audio quality is great and the portables have a pretty loud speaker for the size. The size is great and the radio is super solid. The best thing that I have found is the battery life. It is awesome how the standard battery last 3 days when its just scanning and a day and a half when you're really beating on it.

Anyway its disappointing to hear about Hytera's pitfalls as I really thought they would be a competitor in NA. I wonder if because of all their tetra and dmr sales overseas they aren't paying much attention to NA figuring mother M is still a household name.
    I'm here to learn!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to slapshot0017 For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (Apr 15, 2018)

Thanks

How could you not find this -- http://www.nx5000.com

Thanks

Three other "bitch please" things about the PD982 I just recalled:

- Text Messaging doesn't work on Motorola repeaters. DMR Standard, no go. Hytera not doing any cross-compatibility checking whatsoever.

- Inability to select BANDWIDTH (deviation) from FPP analog menu. This is a massive problem.

- Inability to create a GROUP contact in the contact list. You can do:

Menu ---> Contact ---> Manual Dial ---> (use # symbol to toggle Private ID/Group ID) ---> GROUP #...

Then TX on that group. However, you cannot RX traffic from that group. The radio defaults to RX of whatever talkgroup you're currently parked on.

If we could create a GROUP in the CONTACT LIST, then we could use the MENU --> PROGRAMMING -- CHANNEL --> [TX CONTACT NAME] FPP menu to change the GROUP call field.

Whomever is responsible for designing the firmware in this radio is clearly not a technical person, as they're not using the radio (like a tech would) to field-program the radio to troubleshoot systems.

I'm not going to waste my time trying to contact Hytera USA, as I've been around long enough to know my email will go unanswered/ignored. This company is not receptive to any feedback whatsoever. It's total junk. A TYT MD390 with the special firmware is more flexible than this thing.

What REALLY baffles me, is Hytera went to the trouble of allowing FPP OF AES-256 KEYS/KEY IDS/ALIAS, but not Group contacts?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

com501 (Apr 16, 2018),Number 6 (Apr 16, 2018),PsyberEMT (Apr 16, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phonebuff View Post
    How could you not find this -- http://www.nx5000.com
    That website reads like someone has an axe to grind. Especially the ‘disadvantages’ section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Viper1-6 For This Useful Post:

slapshot0017 (Apr 16, 2018)

Thanks

Ok, now I know why I couldn't find the site because that same user I was talking about changed it to a "Fan Club" site. It used to be a strictly bitching site. Guy is a nut plain and simple. Those disadvantages are a joke and none have even been proven...
    I'm here to learn!