Thread: APX PTT Lock?

Thanks

Default APX PTT Lock?

So on the Kenwood NX 5*** series you are able to lock the keypad along with all of the side buttons, PTT buttons and rotary switch. From what I can see in APX CPS R13 you can lock everything except for the PTT button. Yes I know I am super behind on my software, but I was wondering if in the newest version of software/firmware you are able to lock the PTT. I like to have the ability to lock the PTT button as I mostly use it as a receiver and don't want to be caught with an open mic. I know I can create receive only personalities, but I find it more convenient to have one single channel that can be transmit capable/receive only channel without creating multiple channels.
    I'm here to learn!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,838 Times in 1,719 Posts

TX INHIBIT soft menu

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Apr 18, 2018),crazyboy (Apr 16, 2018),slapshot0017 (Apr 16, 2018)

Thanks

You also can't lock the ABC switch when it's programmed for zone select.

AFAIK no Motorola radio going back to the Saber days would lock the PTT with control lock (did the Sabers even have a control lock feature??)
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 581 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    You also can't lock the ABC switch when it's programmed for zone select.

AFAIK no Motorola radio going back to the Saber days would lock the PTT with control lock (did the Sabers even have a control lock feature??)
    No, because the line which brings in PTT also does the side buttons and the emergency button. The emergency grounds the line and the other buttons gate varying resistor sizes across the input to cause different voltages to be generated. Locking the PTT electrically would disable Emergency functionality which they didn't want to risk. A physical shim or PTT blocker would have been probably the only workable solution, or maybe some series mode disconnect for the PTT, perhaps.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Apr 18, 2018),Mars (Apr 16, 2018),Navy_BOFH (Apr 23, 2018)