Thread: Astro Spectra+ no RX audio

Thanks

Default Astro Spectra+ no RX audio

Well... one thing after another. Finally got in my HKN6155B cable and aligned my Astro Spectra+ to the BSM specs and everything seemed fine. Cloned in my codeplug and all of a sudden no RX audio. Swapped VOCON to make sure it wasn't an issue in there since it was the first time programming this VOCON, still nothing. I am seeing RX indication and TX works just fine.

I THINK somehow the audio amp blew out but have zero tools with me at the moment to check F500 on the command board or see if the audio amp is getting power. And unfortunately, the command board is the only part I don't have a spare of sitting around.

Thanks

If you're getting no audio out including UI beeps and bonks, then odds are it probably is the amp. Since the command boards are band-independent you can pick up a cheap 800 AS on fleabay for its command board, getting a spare Vocon and possibly control head in the process. The audio amps on the Astros are the same as any other Moto mobile, if they get grounded things go south.

I've got three or four command boards in my parts pile but they're in unknown condition. I'd be willing to send you one or two for parts salvage if you wanted; I'd probably just be junking them anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    If you're getting no audio out including UI beeps and bonks, then odds are it probably is the amp. Since the command boards are band-independent you can pick up a cheap 800 AS on fleabay for its command board, getting a spare Vocon and possibly control head in the process. The audio amps on the Astros are the same as any other Moto mobile, if they get grounded things go south.

I've got three or four command boards in my parts pile but they're in unknown condition. I'd be willing to send you one or two for parts salvage if you wanted; I'd probably just be junking them anyway.

I am going to have to add some to my parts pile eventually. I had two spare AS Vocons and Command Boards and sold them to a friend who bought some smoked AS High Power units that I ended up repairing.

LUCKILY my issue this time was apparently the damn ignition sense cable. It wasn't a new cable and I guess the "previous owner" yanked it out of the vehicle by the wire. The D-sub pins were still in the connector but the wires inside the shell were frayed. Looks like me touching it was enough to finally pull them fully out of the pins. So a quick re-pin with some crimp pins, and some tape around the wires into the backshell strain-relief and hopefully problem permanently solved!

Even more luckily - those wires being torn out didn't end up grounding out the audio amp and its LOUD now.

Thanks

That's lucky for sure. The last time I had a bad pinout job, the speaker lines and the +12v ignition sense had a nice intimate date.

Thanks

I had that happen on a CDM series mobile that someone didnít pin out correctly. The minute I turned on the power supply it was game over. That tech definitely felt the pain of that mistake.

Luckily now itís installed in my vehicle and working as well as possible considering Iím using a lid mount and unity gain antenna. But better than running an HT at this point.