Thread: Kenwood officially EOL low band equipment

Thanks

Default Kenwood officially EOL low band equipment

Kenwood put a EOL product announcement on email a few minutes ago about end-of-life for TK 690 TK 6110 and TK 190 low band equipment but did not post last day to order or anything else. Waiting for updates. Meanwhile, not sure about low-band addition to the 5000 series mobiles other than its coming .....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mss-dave For This Useful Post:

com501 (May 04, 2018)

Thanks

They will do LB mobiles early this year and continue in '19. But I've not seen LB portables in their roadmap.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell.

Thanks

This needs a thumbs down button.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MotFAN View Post
    They will do LB mobiles early this year and continue in '19. But I've not seen LB portables in their roadmap.
    I didn't think anyone had made a lowband portable for like a decade or more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MotFAN View Post
    Correction. Later this year, but not early this year of course.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell.

Thanks

Here is Kenwood's announcement. 790 / 890 replaced by NX5x00 now, 690 in a future low-band release of the 5x00. TK 190 portable NOT being replaced.

P18-09LM_TK-190_Discontinue.pdf
    P18-06LM_TK-790_890 Discontinue.pdf

Thanks

Booo
    As much as I hate to say it, this is a perfect opportunity for the Chinese to step up the plate. I don't need an xts5000 or APX-XE type portable, but if they came up with a halfway decent mid-tier lowband portable, as in the same realm of an ht1250, the small but still present, albeit ignored, market is theirs for the taking.

Thanks

I will say though, I am excited to see these new mobiles when they are released. I loved the 6110 and 690 but something a little more modern would be a welcome addition.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

box (May 08, 2018),MotFAN (May 08, 2018)

Thanks

I'm curious as to the need for a low band portable.

The users I am aware of that are still on low band seem to either be mobile only for that band or use extenders of some kind. Is anyone actually using low band as an "onscene" tactical between portables?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    I'm curious as to the need for a low band portable.

The users I am aware of that are still on low band seem to either be mobile only for that band or use extenders of some kind. Is anyone actually using low band as an "onscene" tactical between portables?
    Lots of rural VFD’s for fireground.

When I was looking for some Midian AES boards for the HT750/HT1250 I was informed that military contractors may have been using them. Codan makes a 30-88 DMR/P25 portable (Sentry V) for a military somewhere that I would love to get a price on.

I agree though... I mostly see mobiles with VHF, UHF, or 700mhz extenders.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NSPD For This Useful Post:

box (May 09, 2018)

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 722 Posts

I have always thought that lowband had some uses. I don't understand why it is being abandoned, especially now when carrier squelch is no longer the rule for radios.. Who is looking at stealing that spectrum?
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

box (May 10, 2018)

Thanks

Low band has tremendous noise floor and wide daily variations in local noise floor, so designing a system for portable communications is pretty risky, bordering on impossible. I designed a statewide 47 MHz (45 MHz uplink) mobile system for highway maintenance trucks, but it relies on multicast transmission, several 100 Watt repeater sites in a zone transmitting same channel on different 47 MHz frequencies (scanning mobiles) and voted receivers for the uplink, 100 watt mobiles transmitting same frequency toward several sites. This was only practical solution because of the variability of the noise floor.

Nobody is seeking the low band spectrum. It is shared with military, so I doubt there would be a move to auction it for common carrier use. It does still have some potential for vehicular mobile applications. Antennas are ugly however. Businesses who operate over a wide area like commercial transportation, highway maintenance, concrete trucks can leverage the band.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    Low band has tremendous noise floor and wide daily variations in local noise floor, so designing a system for portable communications is pretty risky, bordering on impossible. I designed a statewide 47 MHz (45 MHz uplink) mobile system for highway maintenance trucks, but it relies on multicast transmission, several 100 Watt repeater sites in a zone transmitting same channel on different 47 MHz frequencies (scanning mobiles) and voted receivers for the uplink, 100 watt mobiles transmitting same frequency toward several sites. This was only practical solution because of the variability of the noise floor.

Nobody is seeking the low band spectrum. It is shared with military, so I doubt there would be a move to auction it for common carrier use. It does still have some potential for vehicular mobile applications. Antennas are ugly however. Businesses who operate over a wide area like commercial transportation, highway maintenance, concrete trucks can leverage the band.
    California Highway Patrol does pretty good with their system.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

box (May 11, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by escomm View Post
    California Highway Patrol does pretty good with their system.
    They have had many decades to deploy and refine it. They also use crossband Vehicular Repeaters, even on motorcycles , so portables are on VHF HI, not low band.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    They also use crossband Vehicular Repeaters, even on motorcycles , so portables are on VHF HI, not low band.
    Vehicles with the new integrated system now use 700 MHz extenders, and the deputies carry EFJ portables. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of documented 700 extender freqs versus the former single statewide VHF freq.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    Vehicles with the new integrated system now use 700 MHz extenders, and the deputies carry EFJ portables. There are dozens, possibly hundreds of documented 700 extender freqs versus the former single statewide VHF freq.
    Which is unfortunate ;-)

I used to drive around with a HT turned to 154.905 - it functioned as a crude CHP detector, giving me a clue I should take my foot off the throttle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    I have always thought that lowband had some uses. I don't understand why it is being abandoned, especially now when carrier squelch is no longer the rule for radios.. Who is looking at stealing that spectrum?
    Florida DOT still has a statewide Low Band system in the Mid 40s MHz band. I inquired one of my friends who works for them as to what type of gear they are using. Sadly, no Kenwood gear, only Midland mobile units, no portable gear.

Thanks

Well that is going to be interesting. I just finished a statewide upgrade of emergency management's low-band repeaters. We ended up using CDM1250s with the TX radio tuned ALL the way down into a Crescend amp at 100w. All repeaters on the same downlink frequency and PL to ensure statewide coverage. The thought being it works for mobile/base operation... but portable operation SUCKS still. We debated deploying Low-Band pagers into the system but gave up on it.

Looking into the future I hope Kenwood comes up with a replacement product. I know my state and a couple others personally looking at system longevity and wondering where they'll go next. One county/regional system I know of is looking at moving to VHF-Hi for their dispatch/paging operations, which is a shame since 1) VHF is already crowded and 2) other services in the area are moving off UHF T-Band which means things will start getting REALLY cramped in the spectrum.