Thread: Suggestions for replacement XTL5000 Consolette filter foam

Thanks

Default Suggestions for replacement XTL5000 Consolette filter foam

I bought a lovely NOS XTL5k Consolette on ebay, its absolutely pristine, however the foam has gone to the great whatever in the sky - any suggestions for a replacement?

(I realize I could probably still get this as a part from Motorola, but I probably don't want to pay that much for foam.)

Thanks

I use the guts from a new 3M fresh air intake (furnace) filter like you use in your home or office. They are doing the same function. Available at Lowes/Home Depot/True Value/Ace. Buy one, cut to fit, and discard the cardboard border. You'll have enough material for 12 consolettes or re-doing your single unit a dozen times.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffFireRadio For This Useful Post:

Alpha (May 29, 2018),p25smartzone (May 30, 2018)

Thanks

I use filters that went over the normal central heating vents ...normally 4x12 ( roughly ) that I cut to fit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jry For This Useful Post:

p25smartzone (May 30, 2018)

Thanks

I use a local company (Carolina Filters Inc) that stocks literally every kind of filter media you'd ever want. I usually tell them I want the foam media of a certain thickness and CFM rating and they'll ship it by the roll or pre-cut it for you. Last time I used them it was for a similar size filter and had them cut 100 of them for something around $30.

Thanks

It sounds ghetto, but I use dryer sheets. My wife always has them. I typically use the used ones since I don't care if my consolettes are Downy-Fresh.

Thanks

Neat idea, I never thought of that. I agree on the Down-freshness thing though. Some of those dryer sheets have a strong scent to them. I used to use the cheap dollar store coffee filters in some the applications where I needed a small air filter in years past.

Thanks

I use a "universal" window unit filter, the ones I get have two layers of different materials, one is exactly the same material as the original filters and they separate rather easily.